General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sweetness1901
Settled in Forks

Re: Jacob and Bella's changing relationship

Post by sweetness1901 »

Wow, I'm so glad this topic has been created.
While I agree that Bella and Edward are meant to be together, I still held a lot of hope for Bella and Jake. I think in a way, I also fell for Jake in New Moon, as naturally, I was seeing everything through Bella's eyes. With this in mind - although I loved Breaking Dawn to death - I had a few issues with some of the changes in relationships in Breaking Dawn.
I loved the triangle between Jake, Bella and Edward. I think it was very sweet that both Edward and Jake were prepared to fight to prove their love to Bella. I think there is nothing that shows true love and devotion more that vowing you will fight for love. This is why, I have to love both Edward and Jake. Yes, Jake's fight for Bella's love made it difficult for her but it did make her see that she was in love with Jacob as well. This is ultimately, maybe not entirely, but ultimately what he wanted. If she had of chosen a life with Edward having never realized her feelings for Jacob, he would have always wondered what would have happened if she had of known prior. I think his devotion for Bella is something he should be commended for. Did it make things hard for Bella? Hell yeah, but it was something she needed to prove to herself that it was Edward in the end, who she could not live without. The strong bond between Bella and Jacob was one of my favorite aspects of the book. I loved that Bella craved her "Jake" time. That throughout Eclipse, she wanted to spend time with him because he was her best friend. I feel that the events in Breaking Dawn have had a negative effect on this element. While I agree that balance has been achieved within their relationship and I am happy that Jake has imprinted, I realized - once I had finished Breaking Dawn - that I missed the Jacob and Bella moments. The walks on the beach, riding the motorbikes, warm sodas in La Push's Taj Mahal.. I missed those! It was good that she could be "reckless Bella" with Jacob. Yes, she is a vampire now and Jacob did say that he will always love her (the right way now) but I felt their connection fade. Now Jacob has Nessie, he doesn't seem to care for Bella as much. My mind tells me this is natural.. he has Nessie now. But this doesn't stop me missing all those little Jacob/Bella moments. I found myself asking my cousin.. "I wonder if Bella and Jacob will ever have any time out from Edward and Nessie, so they can spend time together as best friends, or will that not happen anymore?" I really hope it does!
Secondly, I also remember Stephenie saying that Bella and Jacob's connection was Nessie all along. This makes me really sad. I want to believe that, in some part of their long lives, Bella and Jacob were in love and that they will never forget that. Although they both now have another to love, I have to hope they will hold a special place in their heart for one another. I cannot accept that it was Nessie all along. That would really suck. Sorry to be rude, but I want to believe they loved one another because they had a connection and not because of something that was destined to happen in their future.
Sorry my post was so long and monotonous.. I feel better now that is off my chest! :P
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

sweetness1901 wrote:snip
Secondly, I also remember Stephenie saying that Bella and Jacob's connection was Nessie all along. This makes me really sad. I want to believe that, in some part of their long lives, Bella and Jacob were in love and that they will never forget that. Although they both now have another to love, I have to hope they will hold a special place in their heart for one another. I cannot accept that it was Nessie all along. That would really suck. Sorry to be rude, but I want to believe they loved one another because they had a connection and not because of something that was destined to happen in their future.
Sorry my post was so long and monotonous.. I feel better now that is off my chest! :P
Where did SM say that? I think she confirmed that in a 'natural' world Bella and Jacob would have been together, and that if Edward had never come back Bella and jake would have ended up together. I don't think she meant that the only thing drawing J/B together was Nessie. I am truly glad that jacob doesn't have to suffer with romantic feelings for bella anymore, but I don't think the source of those romantic feelings was nessie.
Forbidden_Freedom
Settled in Forks

Post by Forbidden_Freedom »

Firstly, If I was Bella, I'd be kinda pissed too. I mean, look at it this way. Yes, she's totally content with Edward, and wants to keep Jacob in his place of friendship, but, with all girls . . . Isn't at least, a miniscule part of us happy when there are two gorgeous guys fighting over us?

Yes, it sounds horrible. BUt, if your self esteem is already not exactly the highest, doesn't that just bump up your self worth a little more? I'm not saying that she wasn't totally happy with Edward. And I'm not saying that She should've stopped Jake from the start, but I'm just stating this tiny fact about human nature. NObody can control their emotions, how they react, who they're jealous of.

So, for all this to happen, and Jake still be her friend. . . it's a pretty sweet deal, right? Then, after everything is perfect: she's vampi-fied, Jake's by her side, her family's perfect, especially with little Renesmee, and not to mention the whole 'not-newborn' thing.

Then her almost lover imprints on her newborn. And the Vulgar Language is Ugly hits the fan. I mean, this man could've been her lover. She kissed him with such passion and love . . . he wasn't her soulmate, but . . . he could've been her human life.

And he imprints on her child? The only thing anchoring him to the freaking universe is her child?

YOu get the gist of it. NOt to mention, he names her after the Loch Ness Monster.

And, when team Jacob thinks about it . . . he could've been with Bella. There was no obstacle. Edward team's foundation slipped from under them too. I mean. . . Yes, Edward is like a drug, but. . . he could've been not chosen . . .

There was nothing to stop Jacob from loving Bella if he was chosen. He wouldn't have left, he wouldn't have imprinted. . . nothing. of course, all Jacob's sulking really came in handy. He gets an anchor.

So, from Sunshine, to bottom of the love triangle, to runaway, to son-in-law. . . Bella's relationship with Jacob has changed. And, like everyone else's growth processes. . . the change has stopped. Thank God. I didn't think we could take anymore heartache.
sweetness1901
Settled in Forks

Post by sweetness1901 »

cataclysm wrote:
sweetness1901 wrote:snip
Where did SM say that? I think she confirmed that in a 'natural' world Bella and Jacob would have been together, and that if Edward had never come back Bella and jake would have ended up together. I don't think she meant that the only thing drawing J/B together was Nessie. I am truly glad that jacob doesn't have to suffer with romantic feelings for bella anymore, but I don't think the source of those romantic feelings was nessie.
She said it in one of the Breaking Dawn concert series... either N.Y or L.A?? Can't remember which one. It has also been discussed here and there on the net and I was reminded by someone who also mentioned it on page one of this forum. Perhaps Stephenie meant it in another way, but it was definitely said. I will try and find the source for you. :D
maddierose
Settled in Forks

Post by maddierose »

I love Jacob- and I always liked his relationship with Bella from the get-go... SM creates a good dynamic between them. And the first part of BD was great with that... but once Bella was changed, once Jake imprinted on Renesmee, and everything was settled- the intense feelings just stopped. And I'm not saying that his imprint and Bella's transformation wouldn't have changed things between them- but it was just so quick, like, we were just supposed to accept it. I just thought it was too much of an assumption. I don't know, did anyone else find it a bit like that? All too quick?
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

maddierose wrote: And I'm not saying that his imprint and Bella's transformation wouldn't have changed things between them- but it was just so quick, like, we were just supposed to accept it. I just thought it was too much of an assumption. I don't know, did anyone else find it a bit like that? All too quick?
I think it was quick for us because it was quick for them. Once Jake thought Bella was dead...(and Renesmee was out of her) He felt no connection to her at all. He was still angry about her death, but he felt no pull to Bella anymore.

He did however, feel a pull down the stairs to Renesmee...which makes me wonder...if Bella returned from her honeymoon not pregnant...would he have been so drawn to her?

I personally love the fact that he imprinted on Nessie...hes her protector above all else...I love that.
I also love where their relationship went...back to being the best friends that I loved them being...no complications...just allowed to love each other in a pure, loving way. It was a relief.

Plus de ma propre vie~More than my own life
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

simply... I loved it because it all worked out in the end!
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Miss Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Miss Cullen »

goddesskde wrote:Jacob was a hard character for me to like. On one hand he was amazingly good for Bella during New Moon in helping her deal with her grief over losing Edward. But on the other hand, he disregaurded Bella's feelings quite often and went over the line that she was willing to go. He was agressive and manipulating at points and to be honest it was a bit unsetteling.

Thank you! You very much summed up my feelings for Jacob. He frustrated me so much how he seemed to have a complete disregard for Bella's feelings and the situations he was putting her in. Especially when he first kissed her in Eclipse and just seemed so smug and happy with himself! GRRRR I was mad! And Bella, on the other hand also frustrated me to no end.........I felt she needed to discourage him more. I was livid when she realised she was in love with Jacob and how she was quite open with her feeling in front of Edward. I guess I felt sorry for Edward. There was a point in BD, however, where Bella redeemed herself for me. I can't pinpoint it but it was sometime around the wedding and honeymoon when I completley felt what Bella felt for Edward and understood how her love for Jacob paled so much in comparison and it was then I understood exactly what SM was saying when she said this (from FAQ page for Exclipse on her website) : For me, it makes that perfect true love stronger. Bella has another option. She has a really good one. An option that's easier in many ways, that takes nothing—like her family, present or future—away from her. She would have love, and friendship, and family—an enviable human future. But she chooses Edward over all of this. This makes it real for me.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

first of all, i just read ALL of the Q&A transcripts from the concert series, and SM says NOTHING about jake and bella being together because of nessie. so let's not state these sorts of things as facts, because we really can't say, ok?

i love jacob, and i love how their relationship progressed.

in twilight, i was still in sort of edward mania, so i don't have much of an opinion on him from then, but i remember thinking he was gonna BE something. i knew he was basically supposed to be like mike and tyler and eric, but something about the way she wrote his character, he was much more alive than them, like she put a lot of effort into him. and the fact that bella (who was rather judgmental of her non-vampire peers) actually liked him, made me think he was special.

then in new moon, boy was he good. he was, face it ladies, every girl's dream. every girl wants that guy that she can turn to when she's a freaking wreck and they just take her in and make her better. he is so different and yet so similar to edward. he's rougher, tougher, more masculine. personally, that's my thing, so i appreciated that. (there's nothing sexier to me than a hottie who can fix my stupid truck!) even when they weren't getting along, it was just so REAL, that it connected with me in a way that edward's and bella's relationship couldn't.

eclipse was actually my favorite of the books. i loved jacob raw and intense like that. the "ethics" chapter, where bella says goodbye to him was the most beautiful thing i've ever read, and their kiss before jake goes to fight was the best kiss i've ever read.

although i was definitely shipping jake and bella, i liked how they ended up a lot. i do wish, though, that we'd seen bella's moving on from him, and that we'd seen some of their interactions a little more after jake's book.

i like jacob and bella's relationship because it feels attainable. that kind of love exists in the real world. bella's and edward's feels very fairy tale like to me, which is great for what it is, but i think i'd prefer to have what bella and jake have.

i fully believe that jacob was absolutely the natural path bella's life would have taken.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

okay...so right off the bat i'm going to apologize to everyone reading this since i know it might be quite lengthy...

*sigh*....Bella and Jacob...where do i begin!?

First, right after Edward left in New Moon i felt the same emotions Bella was going through. I had become so attached to the idea of Bella and Edward that when he left i felt the same way Bella did- thinking "what now?". But of course as Bella began to try and get the ball rolling to please her father. I just felt no connections with any of the other characters she encountered. School was so plain to me as well in the sense that Bella knew moving on was impossible...
When Bella returned to the Cullen's house i swear i lost it- i also felt so depressed at the fact that the house was still there, a depressing reminder of her lost family. Once thinking of seeing Jacob to help her with the bikes i couldn't help but feel a sense of hope for Bella.
Once Jacob and Bella began hanging out alot i really got into their relationship- and after a while i felt comfortable and entertained just reading about them and their growing friendship; which i loved!

I really loved the close best friend relationship they formed- cause to be honest i've had that before. Like Bella, i had a best guy friend who i talked to about everything, he cheered me up...he really was my "personal sun" in a time where i felt so lost and hurt just like Bella. But the thing is i didn't like him, and of course he told me he loved me....but i couldn't love him in that way; the same thing Bella had said.

Then of course moving onto Eclipse i felt so torn between Jacob & Bella or Edward & Bella. Bella & Edward were meant to be, it's impossible to get around- but like Jacob said if there was no magic Bella and Jacob would be together, they were made for each other. I was so torn when Bella realized that she loved Jacob...it hit me like a brick the same time it hit Bella and it was so heartbreaking! I couldn't fathom Bella leaving Jacob high and dry- but then i knew that if she stayed with him she'd be leaving Edward- what the heck! Jacob was Bella's support system, her only true friend in her darkest time. He picked her up when she was in the dark; her heart was torn and Jacob helped glue back the pieces though the scar was still there. I absolutely love Jacob- sure, some of the stuff he did was immature, but i wasn't annoyed by it at all because he's A TEENAGE BOY. That's what they do- it's in their nature to upset us girls but is it so hard for people to see where he was coming from?

Anyways, once Jacob left at the end of eclipse i swear i felt my heart tear- he was so heartbroken over the fact that he could not save Bella- the girl he loved. But once Breaking Dawn came along you could definitely see their matured friendship. Sure Jacob still loved Bella- but was at bay and knew he couldn't have her anymore *which still killed me*. I really like the note SM ended their relationship on- it never ended, it just went in a different direction. Jacob stayed Bella's best-friend and is now no longer hurting over her. It's more of a brother sister friendship...which i love!!

i fully believe that jacob was absolutely the natural path bella's life would have taken
^^ i'd also like to mention that THAT'S the main point i've always tried to get out, and i too believe that 100% with everything inside me :D
Last edited by mlola619 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...