General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Cullen Beliefs

Post by bite_me »

Lacuna Scion wrote: Emmett: Emmettism... ROFL aka HAKUNA MATATA. Agnosticism. Just a belief in some god. Or Determinism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism). Again more of a philosophy; belief that things just happen and not necessarily for any divine reason. Everything we do is determined by "an unbroken chain of prior occurrences"

Hakuna Matata: i think that sums up Emmett exactly.

what does it mean word for word when you translate it, but?
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

bite_me wrote:Hakuna Matata: i think that sums up Emmett exactly.

what does it mean word for word when you translate it, but?
It actually means "No Worries" just like the song says. "It means no worries, for the rest of your days... It's our problem free philosophy... Hakuna Matata... Timon and Pumba" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry, I love The Lion King. But, I Googled it a couple of times and there were different variations but essentially that's what it means.
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

To make another Disney reference, Emmett reminds me a bit of Baloo the bear from The Jungle Book.

"Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife"

Hehe. And come to think of it, Edward isn't that far off from the panther, Bagheera -- smart, serious, always worried about safety.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

Oh my goodness, Moon Sidhe, you're so right. The Jungle Book makes total sense. This is weird.

It's great though. A comparison something other than HP. :lol:

But... who's King Louie, the orangutan??? :lol:
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Hahah. King Louie... that's a tough one. Aro maybe? He covets power and new "technology" like Aro. Louie's personality is much more freewheeling than Aro's though.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
eureka twilighter
Settled in Forks

Post by eureka twilighter »

This is a very interesting thread. My friends and I have been discussing the belief that Edward has that he doesn't have a soul. I believe that he Has to have a soul or he couldn't, or wouldn't, care about what happens to Bella's soul. A souless creature doesn't care about anyone but himself!!

I agree with those of you who believe that the others were probably Christians of one denomination or another because of the times that they lived in. Jasper, too, beecause if you recall, he was a Southerner during the Civil War and the South was, and is still, mostly christian. Of course, all of their theologies had to change somewhat after their change. Wouldn't yours? :)

eureka twilighter

ps. Love the comparisons to Lion King and Jungle Book!!!!! :lol:
"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you!"
Edward--Midnight Sun
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

wow, how did this get from cullen beliefs to "the lion king" and "the jungle book" ? lol. well i'll put a little of both :D :

so i know stephenie meyer is morman, and i think that edward is too, and i think that carlisle is catholic (yay christians and catholics!lol) as for the others.... i have no idea :? lol :mrgreen:
and now for my disney reference:

"the seven dwarfs" OR THE SEVEN CULLENS? DUN, DUN, DUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!! *lightning strikes, and does evil laugh*
lol, jk (ew i just said "jk"). anyhoo:

DOPEY = emmett
GRUMPY = rosalie, lol
DOC = carlisle
BASHFUL = esme maybe?
HAPPY = alice
SLEEPY = edward (if you've read midnight sun you'll know that edward wishes he could sleep, lol)
SNEEZY = well i don't really think jasper is sneezy but there aren't any dwarfs left :lol:
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
StinaCullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by StinaCullen »

ilovetwilight wrote:wow, how did this get from cullen beliefs to "the lion king" and "the jungle book" ? lol. well i'll put a little of both :D :

so i know stephenie meyer is morman, and i think that edward is too, and i think that carlisle is catholic (yay christians and catholics!lol) as for the others.... i have no idea :? lol :mrgreen:
and now for my disney reference:

"the seven dwarfs" OR THE SEVEN CULLENS? DUN, DUN, DUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!! *lightning strikes, and does evil laugh*
lol, jk (ew i just said "jk"). anyhoo:

DOPEY = emmett
GRUMPY = rosalie, lol
DOC = carlisle
BASHFUL = esme maybe?
HAPPY = alice
SLEEPY = edward (if you've read midnight sun you'll know that edward wishes he could sleep, lol)
SNEEZY = well i don't really think jasper is sneezy but there aren't any dwarfs left :lol:

BAHAHAHA :lol: Thats hilarious!!!!
I Love The Seven Dwarfs "Cullens" LOL
AutumnRain
Settled in Forks

Post by AutumnRain »

I think that Alice would desire to be religious, just because she'd find the whole humanness of the concept to be interesting. So I wouldn't put it past her to pop regularly into churches ... as well as temples, mosques, etc. as well as do religious reflection and stuff on her own. Probably more for curiosity than anything else.

I think Jasper would have leftover Catholic values (except for his, er, habit of killing people) from his Southerner days ... they were pretty hardcore back then ... but he doesn't have any real religion except for Alice. No need for a God when he already worships the ground she walks on ...
EternalLove
Settled in Forks

Post by EternalLove »

porschejacker XD wrote:
Cocoa wrote:What religion or belief system do each of the Cullens believe in? What religion were they in mortality and how did that effect their beliefs in immortality?
I think Carlisle was a catholic, and Edward was Christian too.
Emmett, I reckon followed Emmettism, and Rosalie didnt care much.
I dunno why, but I always imagined Alice as like a zen religion kind of girl.

Carlisle believes in an afterlife, and Edward does subconsciously too.
Actually, Carlisle was Anglican (a form of Protestant) which are rival to the Catholics. He said his father was an Anglican Priest. I would think that Edward would be something similar, as with Esme, and Rosalie. Alice being in an asylum for most of her life, she probably didn't devote time to any such religion. Emmet I would think could follow one of the Christian religions or perhaps not believe in it at all. I am unsure about Jasper too. I'm not sure what the views were in Southern America in the 1800's
I had never seen anything more beautiful... It did not matter if he did not want me. I would never want anything but him no matter how long I lived