General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Jacob and Leah's friendship

Post by Nena »

This thread is to discuss about Jacob and Leah's relationship in BD.
princess_sparkle
Settled in Forks

Re: Jacob and Leah

Post by princess_sparkle »

I love the changes in the relationship between Jacob and Leah in Breaking Dawn. The other books portrayed her as a shallow character, and made her seem like a horrible person who tortured Sam and the others with her thoughts. I loved the way BD deepened her character and let us into her thoughts.
I have to admit that at one point I was actually longing for Jacob/Leah as a couple (hello to a new plotbunny) because they both wanted to imprint, even if Jake wouldn't really admit it. I could imagine them being good together because love often stems from hatred... but I also think that they work well as friends. I just wish she'd gotten her happy ending, since Stephenie gave one to pretty much everyone else.
Oh, and as for the conversation about Leah as a menopausal 20 year old, it was hilarious to imagine Jake squirming... :lol:
Dont_Call_Me_Nessie
Wandering Through Town

Re: Jacob and Leah's friendship

Post by Dont_Call_Me_Nessie »

Leah is one of my favorite characters and I really think she's gotten a lot of bad press that she doesn't deserve. Sure she's a pain in the behind, but how many of you could live her life and win Miss Congeniality? I'm glad that she's finally getting a chance to be happy and I'm glad she and Jake are friends. I hope that Stephenie Meyer decides to use her as a narrator of future novels, because I think it would be fascinating.
Miko Kikyou
Settled in Forks

Post by Miko Kikyou »

I'm not really a fan of the werewolves, but Leah is an exception. She is such an interesting character and she was wasted in the end after she had found someone to live with. She won't leave Jacob, but he did almost the same as Sam - maybe Leah is the key to imprinting? xD
And I just loved it when she ran faster than Jake ad Seth or the part with Jake being naked...xD
I really hope that they will be friends forever and that Leah will imprint, too. Her first choice may be Nessie's and Jake's son... hehe. Just joking.
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

I don't think Leah and Jacob love each other....I think they came together out of understanding. And I think Leah followed Jacob in desperation...not adoration.
I really appreciate the way she helped guide Jacob through his feelings about Bella, by discussiong her own pain with Sam. In a way helping Jake is healing her old wounds. She can talk to him without the whole pack (including Sam) hearing about it.
They leaned on each other...and what else are packs for??? :) I'm sooo glad Jake was getting a bigger pack then just he and Leah...I would miss Seth too much!
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

Loved Jake and Leah's friendship in BD. I didn't want them to become a couple, but their interactions/dialogue were some of the best in the book. I felt happy for Leah when she was able to leave sam's pack and start to heal. It would be great to get some follow up on leah's story.
Fanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Fanpire »

I thought that maybe they would be together as a couple but I'm glad it turned out to be this way...I like their friendship
Pixie
Settled in Forks

Post by Pixie »

I always thought about them in a "family" sense. Maybe it was during NM and the spaghetti dinner - you don't sit on a phone all night at someones house, unless you feel at home. She is around his sisters age, so I figure they must have been friends at some point. I never viewed Leah as a harpy, just someone that was hurt and trying hard to figure out a way to live her life. The epilogue in Eclipse(and Jacob saving her) made me realize they had some sort of friendship - I am glad Stephenie expanded on that in BD and let us see that Leah does care for Jacob like a brother.
VampgirlWolfgirl
Wandering Through Town

Post by VampgirlWolfgirl »

At first, before I got to the part about Nessie, I really thought they could be a couple. They both were very bitter sweet towards another and then later they were able to open up to each other. Then when Leah went and yelled at Bella for breaking Jacobs heart, it really seemed like, to me, that she liked Jake. But as I thought about it, it seemed like they were becoming really good friends, partners. She knew how it felt when Sam imprinted on Emily and she could only imagine what it did to Jacob when Bella chose Edward. And knowing Bella could freely choose who she wanted. It tore her up inside. I think that truly showed how much Leah cared for Jacob. Then Jacob gave the beta role to Leah instead of Seth. That showed Jake really trusted Leah and her judgment. I think they have a very strong bond.
"I am a vampire girl, and yet I am a wolf girl. Don't make me ever choose between the two."
~VampgirlWolfgirl
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

I truly never thought Jacob and Leah could become as close as they did in Breaking Dawn, but i enjoyed it so much. I really loved how witty they were with each other and the way that their sarcasm always egged each other on to say something hilarious.

I think their friendship was very different from any of the other characters in the book- because they shared that bond of understanding; knowing what it feels like to watch the love of your life choose someone else. To me that was the core of their friendship. And though i feel so bad for Leah and her unfinished story, i'm glad she was able to form that friendship with Jacob. It gave her hope...but then again it might've crushed all sense of hope since it's obvious that they friendship has changed as a result of Reneesme.

I really hope her story is finished. As for commenting on their friendship- i loved it, i think it gives that lighter spin to the Twilight Saga; they give those moments of laughter and lightness which i thought was necessary being that Breaking Dawn had many serious issues and matters that had to be resolved.
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...