General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ocd4edward
Settled in Forks

Re: Breaking Dawn-I didn't like it

Post by ocd4edward »

While I don't hate BD, I have to agree with RoseRed. Very well articulated.

My main beef, to put it simply, is that I miss Edward in BD. The first three books focused on the love story - which is why we are all here. It's like - "well, we're married - had sex, moving on"...
:shock: :? Wha?
nadiahale123
Settled in Forks

Post by nadiahale123 »

I didn't like Breaking Dawn, obviously.

I guess i can list some of the things i didn't like:

1. The love is gone. Bella and Edward only care about sexing eachother up and their kid. It's not a bad thing to love your child, but the whole Twilight Series popularity was sparked by the love of Edward and Bella. That's the only reason we read the books. But in BD their love is gone completely. They say I love you a couple times, but none of the romantic stuff that makes us love Edward.

2. Renesmee and Jacob. I saw that coming from 10 miles away. It just doesn't seem real at all. Too fiction-y for my taste.

3. Bella changed. Actually, everyone changed. I mean, you could relate to Bella in the other 3 books somewhat. She was a clutsy teen ager just like we are or used to be. Now she's an impossibly beautiful, graceful vampire mom/wife with a special shielding power, who has the best self-control possible. What?? That is sooo not Bella. She is perfect. Too perfect. No one is that perfect in the real world.

There are so many more, but i'll stop bashing.

Once you lose your similarities to Bella, and the romance that was holding up the other 3 books, the magic is gone, and it is so different from the books you fell in love with. Breaking Dawn kind of broke my heart.
i really hate to say it, but i used to be so obsessed with the books, but after Breaking Dawn happened that obsession is now steadily decreasing.
sad, right?
:(
Team Lautner NOT Team Copon!!!

You have to see this trailer spoof. it is Hi-larious! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dompotjTeIA
there_was_eden
Settled in Forks

Post by there_was_eden »

My love for the characters was almost forgotten throughout Breaking Dawn.
I hate even saying that, but it is astoundingly true.
I feel everything was sudden, indifferent, or overtly dramatic.
Nothing I could throw out there hasn't been said a dozen times over, so I am left saying that I didn't enjoy it.
Like every other person on this thread. And I am sulking about Midnight Sun. blech.

______there_was_eden_______
ocd4edward
Settled in Forks

Post by ocd4edward »

One thing I'm noticing on my (4th) readthrough is that Bella's personality has changed. She doesn't sound like herself anymore even in her internal dialog. WTH Stephenie? Crank that 4th book out a little to quickly? :?

On my first read through I liked BD, but by the 4th read, it's starting to affect my obsession.
I miss Edward. Miss Alice - why have such a well developed character absent for almost the entire 4th book?
Nessie is a little creepy - her dialog (what little she has) seems canned, obvious and just plain annoying.
Jacob changes too much after the transformation - blech.
Seth dropped off the raidar, as did the rest of the pack.
The love story was just dropped. - bad, bad, bad Steph!

Things I did like: wedding, honeymoon, jacob (his section and before transformation)), the humor overall and bella's shield ability.

Maybe all of this was calculated - she needed a way to break our feverish addiction and free her fandom from the series. If so, well done!
irunwithvampires
Settled in Forks

Post by irunwithvampires »

I think RoseRed just hit a really good point. By the way, RedRose, everything you stated was nicely put.

It might've worked better if Stephenie just had Forever Dawn. Instead, she decided to go back and write Bella's high school years which we all fell in love with but she clung to everything she had in Forever Dawn, shoved it into Breaking Dawn, and with Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse now in front of Breaking Dawn, it didn't all really fit together. I didn't even think about that reason before on why the last book seemed so off.

Here's another reason that I forgot to state on the first page.

I don't like reading about pregnanices or watch anything on TV related to that stuff. In the previous books, periods weren't even mentioned and when someone would ask Stephenie about what happens to Edward when Bella's on her period, Stephenie would throw a joking, "ew" at us. So, I was pretty surprised when the period was actually acknowledged in Breaking Dawn. I know it kind of sounds immature of me, but I was just surprised when Bella pulled the tampons out of her suitcase.

And then I just didn't like reading about Bella's distorted belly and figure. It made me sick to picture such a twisted shape just sticking out of her stomach. And from Jake's POV when he saw the bruises on her belly, and he felt nauseous - I have to say, I agree with him.

The whole entire pregnancy was just way too dragged out for me and disturbing.

Especially when Bella was actually giving birth. Of course, I'm not anywhere near of having any children of my own, but it disturbed me how it was actually in there. There was no detail, of course, but it was more disturbing because her half vampire, half human child was ripping her to shreds. It made me shudder.
jelliebean427
Settled in Forks

Post by jelliebean427 »

I don't know about you guys, but the thing that bugged me most about Breaking Dawn was Jacob imprinting on Nessie. It just doesn't work!!

I mean, can you imagine this scene?

7 years later, Jacob and Nessie sharing an intimate moment.....

Jacob: Y'know, Ness, a few years back I was in love with your mom. In fact, I tried to rape her and then she punched me in the face.
Nessie: Oh, really?
Jacob: Yup. It's the truth.
Nessie: Oh. Well, I guess that's ok becuase we're like, freakishly in love with each other now, right?
Jacob: Sure, sure.

End scene

Does anyone else feel like their relationship is just... wrong? I mean, think about this for a second. Bella doesn't jump, Edward doesn't get suicidal, Bella never saves him. Bella and Jacob fall in love, get married, have a kid. Does Jacob imprint on his own child?! Nessie + Jacob = borderline incest.

I guess I just feel like Stephenie could have definitely come up with a more creative way to keep Jake in the story. He shouldn't have imprinted on some little cannibalistic half-human, half-vampire with a fondness for blood. After all, isn't it his job to protect the world from creatures like Nessie?
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i didn't like it. for numerous reasons.

first off, i agree with irunwithvampires. it was all too graphic for me. SM won't write sex scenes (not that i think she should!) but she'll write that??

i think we lost the characters. SM focused on getting her plot accomplished in the final book. it was like squeezing the last three harry potters into one book - too much, and yet too little.

after jacob's book, i felt like he, and seth, and leah, just got thrown into the back ground. and that's just crappy writing. it makes it choppy, and disconnected.

in the end, there was a lot of what is called "telling" and not "showing". for instance, bella will say "nessie and carlisle had a discussion about x y and z" instead of taking the time to write the actual interaction. that is also bad writing.

nessie in general. she just bugged me. she was written so....boringly.

all these new characters were introduced, some of which were really cool (garrett, kate, the romanian vampires, zafrina, etc.) and stephenie sort of tried to give them their own little side-stories, but it just sort of stuck out as a pathetic attempt to create a larger web for the story, and was also a bit random. like garrett and kate's relationship - adorable! - but totally random, it seemed.

BD did have two redeeming qualities in my opinion.
1. the humor in jacob's book. how do you drown a blonde?
2. after bella transformed she was so much more independent, had her own strength. i actually found her to be more like the bell of twilight, the one i loved.

and some things about a post before mine that i can't let stand....
1. jacob NEVER attempted to rape bella. and that's not a term to use lightly.
2. if edward didn't exist, jacob would not be a shape-shifter, and therefore would not imprint. never mind the fact that nessie wouldn't exist.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
onebreath
Wandering Through Town

Post by onebreath »

jelliebean427 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but the thing that bugged me most about Breaking Dawn was Jacob imprinting on Nessie. It just doesn't work!!

I mean, can you imagine this scene?

7 years later, Jacob and Nessie sharing an intimate moment.....

Jacob: Y'know, Ness, a few years back I was in love with your mom. In fact, I tried to rape her and then she punched me in the face.
Nessie: Oh, really?
Jacob: Yup. It's the truth.
Nessie: Oh. Well, I guess that's ok becuase we're like, freakishly in love with each other now, right?
Jacob: Sure, sure.

End scene

Does anyone else feel like their relationship is just... wrong? I mean, think about this for a second. Bella doesn't jump, Edward doesn't get suicidal, Bella never saves him. Bella and Jacob fall in love, get married, have a kid. Does Jacob imprint on his own child?! Nessie + Jacob = borderline incest.

I guess I just feel like Stephenie could have definitely come up with a more creative way to keep Jake in the story. He shouldn't have imprinted on some little cannibalistic half-human, half-vampire with a fondness for blood. After all, isn't it his job to protect the world from creatures like Nessie?
First of all, you made me spit my coke out with your post. lmao. :lol:

Though I didn't dislike Breaking Dawn, I did think it became a little too convoluted and it sometimes felt like Stephanie was adding things just for the sake of adding things rather than to tell a great story.

I do agree with you on the use of imprinting on Nessie as a plot-device, though. As soon as Bella "gave birth" (more like a C-section gone awry but whatever) I knew Jacob was going to imprint on the baby. And, dude, I was creeped out. I mean, he was in love with her MOTHER for cryin' out loud. It's so many kinds of wrong, I agree. And that's before you even look at the fact that she's HALF-vampire. I mean, I follow the message that Stephanie is trying to convey through the entire situation but it doesn't change the fact that it's...it's ....gross.
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

i liked breaking dawn. there. i said it. sure there were some things that took me off guard but i didn't not like any of the things that happened, i think stephenie meyer did a great job with it. =)
darkmoon117
Settled in Forks

Post by darkmoon117 »

onebreath wrote:
jelliebean427 wrote: First of all, you made me spit my coke out with your post. lmao. :lol:

Though I didn't dislike Breaking Dawn, I did think it became a little too convoluted and it sometimes felt like Stephanie was adding things just for the sake of adding things rather than to tell a great story.

I do agree with you on the use of imprinting on Nessie as a plot-device, though. As soon as Bella "gave birth" (more like a C-section gone awry but whatever) I knew Jacob was going to imprint on the baby. And, dude, I was creeped out. I mean, he was in love with her MOTHER for cryin' out loud. It's so many kinds of wrong, I agree. And that's before you even look at the fact that she's HALF-vampire. I mean, I follow the message that Stephanie is trying to convey through the entire situation but it doesn't change the fact that it's...it's ....gross.

I have to agree with both of you at how twisted & wrong the imprinting thing seemed. I felt like the foreshadowing of the imprint was really heavy too and it was all too obvious that SM was going to have Jacob imprint on Nessie. I wish she would have left out all the talk about imprinting with Leah for this reason.

I also was thinking that the imprinting actually did have something to do with finding the best mate, or was this only Sam's thought? Either way, that makes more sense than a werewolf whose sole purpose of becoming a werewolf is to combat vampires..... imprinting on a vampire. Not to mention the "love of his life's" daughter. It was all sorts of wrong!

I do have to admit that I did like it just a little, because it was so very very wrong, that it keeps you questioning everything you think you know.
Last edited by darkmoon117 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like I was in some Goth version of a bad sitcom. Instead of being the A/V dweeb about to ask the head cheerleader to the prom, I was the finished-second-place werewolf about to ask the vampire's wife to shack up and procreate. Nice."