General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Imprinting

Post by suzzeeQ »

That's a good question. I don't know. Would the imprint keep and Leah stays imprinted on a vampire or would the imprint break because vampires are the wolves mortal enemies? I think you should write it how you want. It's an interesting topic.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Snowstone,

I would agree with suzzeeQ that you should write it the way you want to. It’s entirely up to you; it’s your fanfic so you can do what you want.

If you are asking an opinion on whether that would be possible in the Twilight universe, though, I would say no. That’s just my opinion. I base it on the fact that no one has ever been known to break an imprinting bond before, even after the imprintee’s death. Changing into a vampire, in my opinion, would not break it either. Besides the obvious physical changes, the same person is still there.

Since this is your fanfic you can, of course, break the bond if you want, but that would likely mean some additional delving into the true nature of bonding. I would generally recommend trying to keep things as simple as possible, but anything having to do with imprinting isn’t simple. Having Leah imprint on someone is pretty straightforward. Having the bond broken makes things complicated real quick. You can either take a stab at trying to provide a logical reason for this happening and accept criticism that your explanation is riddled with contradictions, or you can try to keep it very simple and get criticized for “copping out”.

By the way, the only reason I could see for breaking an imprint bond is to have Leah demonstrate a radical change in her attitude towards her former imprintee. As in, she doesn’t love him anymore (if she still loved him, then the break is an unnecessary complication). And if Leah doesn’t love her imprintee anymore, then what is imprinting really all about? Your readers will probably expect you to provide that answer.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Snowstone
Learning to Love Green

Post by Snowstone »

@Corona I actually want to keep the imprint, but also wanted to be faithful to the "science" behind it, that's why I asked. And thank you for the tips :D
My Twitter
Check my little stories and photos, and give me some feedback
My FictionPress Profile
My Deviantart Profile
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

If you want to keep it to the Twilight universe, then venom will kill Leah. She won't survive the change. See Breaking Dawn.
Snowstone
Learning to Love Green

Post by Snowstone »

Do you think it's plausible that one of his vampire powers could be not to produce venom, or only produce when he chooses too?
My Twitter
My FictionPress Profile
My Deviantart Profile
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Snowstone,

That is a very interesting idea you have, it’s just a little tricky to work it out right, but if done well it could be very entertaining. It reminds me of the joke, “How do two porcupines make love”, answer, “Very carefully”. Yes, if Leah is inadvertently bitten by her vampire imprintee, she will die, sort of putting the imprintee into Edward’s shoes, except the situation will never change, and like Jacob and Nessie both will become immortal, which means the venom becomes an eternal threat. Also both of them will have to deal with what is, to them, the offensive odor of each other. I think Leah would have an easier time with that than her imprintee, the power of the imprinting bond and all.

Sure, I think you can do anything with a vampire’s special talent, but making it believable is another matter. Being venomous is one of the weapons that a vampire has. The ability to turn it off does not seem to be a very powerful talent, and the only function would appear to be facilitating their relationship, which makes it look contrived and a little too convenient. The closest parallel I can think of is Bella and her “silent mind” and the way that initially seemed to be useful only in advancing her relationship with Edward, but she eventually finds out it is more powerful. I’m trying to think of how being able to turn the venom off could be useful in other ways, but I’m coming up with a blank.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Snowstone
Learning to Love Green

Post by Snowstone »

The power I had in mind was adaptation and/or empathic mimicry. In the sense that he would adapt to be able to be with Leah, so the venom would be non-lethal or non-existence and he would tolerate or even like her smell. Also thought he could somehow replicate other vampires powers, but only temporarily and maybe. And while writing this post I remember a possible scene where he would be overwhelmed by all the powers of the Cullen's and somehow Bella would need to shield him so he would be isolated from them.

I think it might work, but it will probably be a little challenge.
My Twitter
My FictionPress Profile
My Deviantart Profile
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Good luck with your idea, I think it is actually very good. You seem to be combining two ideas I have played around with for vampire powers, the ability to appear as being human and the ability to absorb or “mimic” other vampire powers, ala Rogue from X-Men. The human thing was always complicated, as in just how far do you take it, how “real” does the human appearance ability go. Do they smell like a human, can they actually digest human food, etc.? As far as the “rogue” ability to temporarily absorb other powers, imagine the ability to stack them. Say that such a vampire could absorb Nessie’s ability to project through any shield and add it to Jane or Alec’s abilities, or even both. That would be an extremely powerful vampire, one that Aro would love to get his hands on. Better not let the Volturi find out about that one.
Snowstone
Learning to Love Green

Post by Snowstone »

I thought of that, but at the same time I don't want to overpower him. But at the same time I wanted him to at some time, at the height of his ability be able to stack the powers he mimicked earlier.
My Twitter
My FictionPress Profile
My Deviantart Profile
babynessie_18
Wandering Through Town

Post by babynessie_18 »

If ever IMPRINTING does exist in our human world, I think its cool for those who are inlove, but if the imprinter saw his imprintee; it's so depressing for the female person.. I wish my boyfriend could imprint on me.. and never look at any other woman again.. lol
Last edited by babynessie_18 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-babynessie_18-