General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Imprinting

Post by suzzeeQ »

I wouldn't. I would prefer knowing that out of all the women in the world he could have been with, he had chosen me. Not be with me because he has no other choice.
Knives

Post by Knives »

babynessie_18 wrote:If ever IMPRINTING does exist in our human world, I think its cool for those who are inlove, but if the imprinter saw his imprintee; it's so depressing for the female person.. I wish my boyfriend could imprint on me.. and never look at any other woman again.. lol
You may want to re-read the rather in-depth discussion we just had about how imprinting is quite possibly A. sick and B. wrong. It's just bad news whatever happens. Besides, what if you decide that your boyfriend isn't right for you?
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
babynessie_18
Wandering Through Town

Post by babynessie_18 »

Knives wrote:
babynessie_18 wrote:If ever IMPRINTING does exist in our human world, I think its cool for those who are inlove, but if the imprinter saw his imprintee; it's so depressing for the female person.. I wish my boyfriend could imprint on me.. and never look at any other woman again.. lol
You may want to re-read the rather in-depth discussion we just had about how imprinting is quite possibly A. sick and B. wrong. It's just bad news whatever happens. Besides, what if you decide that your boyfriend isn't right for you?
No,I haven't read that.. Where can i find it? Uhm, I'm still 19 and what I posted was just thought as a TEENAGER.. Thanks anyways..
-babynessie_18-
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Knives wrote:It's just bad news whatever happens.

Mod reminder: we're here to share opinions AND TO RESPECT ONE ANOTHER'S. Not lay down the law (er, except about Posting Rules *grin*).

Many of us here have reservations about imprinting or being imprinted on. If you want to explain why it gives you the creeps, that's terrific -- and I know this is a subject you feel very strongly about! But please don't jump on someone for posting a different view: it's unfriendly, and it scares posters off. It's also probably not the most effective way of getting someone to rethink what they believe....

Thanks!
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

I suppose the only thing that I really found creepy was the fact that Nessie was BELLA’s child. No need to rehash what was on Jacob’s mind in the preceding days. I think even Bella was kind of creeped out.

Maybe the worst part, from the fan’s standpoint, is that there is going to be very little mystery to how Jacob and Nessie’s story develops, if it ever gets told. Which is why I don’t think it will. Possibly SM will do Leahs’ story instead, but I think we all know what the central scene is going to be, is there any doubt? The expectation for imprinting to play a central role in any story involving a wolf pack member is so overwhelming that SM is going to have a very difficult time trying to find a fresh angle. I can see where she may have had regrets killing Bree off in EC.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

I would have liked to see an adult imprint relationship that wasn't romantic. According to the book, the relationship doesn't have to turn romantic unless the imprintee wants it to. I think if a non-romantic relationship was included in the series some of the fans might not have been so skeeved out by it.
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

suzzeeQ wrote:I would have liked to see an adult imprint relationship that wasn't romantic. According to the book, the relationship doesn't have to turn romantic unless the imprintee wants it to. I think if a non-romantic relationship was included in the series some of the fans might not have been so skeeved out by it.
That is a good point. I would have liked to see that as well.
My train of thoughts after reading this post brought me to the suggestion that possibly imprinting happens to make sure that the wolf always protects the tribe and humans in general. A way to keep them on "the good side". Their strength and speed could so easily be used in a bad way if one of the wolves was somewhat power-hungry. Of course the alpha would prevent them from doing so but what if the alpha were to cross over to "the bad side"? We know Aro certainly wouldn't mind working with the wolves. I think we can't imagine the hell that would break loose if those two were on the same side. Maybe imprinting ensures that the wolves' main priority is to protect their imprintee and as an extent the tribe and all humans making the vampires there enemies. Just a random thought but it sort of fits in my opinion.

(For those who want to know: I wrote earlier on this thread that "I like to stick to what SM wrote and not swerve too much from that." And I kind of regret saying that so I removed it from my post. I've realised it is merely my own interpretation and other people may interpret her words differently. What I meant to say was that I can accept a lot in fiction and that does not mean I necessarily accept it in real life. Which is why I like to keep it fiction and don't want to relate it too much to the real world. Hope I explained that right and it makes sense. Just felt like I should rectify myself so, I apologize.)
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Sorry, just saw this ^. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain what you were getting at, Suzan: very thoughtful of you!

Personally, I think I tend to read books the way you do: give myself over (relatively) uncritically to the author's viewpoint and see where they take me. Of course, one can still sometimes discover that the place they're heading for doesn't really "work" for one. Where that happens for me -- and I have to confess it does with imprinting -- my own response seems to be less a kind of active resistance ("oooh, this bugs me") than the passive resistance of a kind of imaginative failure: the whole theme of imprinting, and all the storyline involved in it, doesn't really come to life for me. I find myself thinking "ok, interesting idea" and skimming ahead briskly in my head to other parts of the story that grab me more. Which doesn't stop me from finding it an intriguing concept to discuss here: just insulates me from feeling very strongly about it in Stephenie's story.

Of course, this may also have a lot to do with the fact that I'm a vampire-girl through and through (*grin*): I can see that if I connected more passionately with the wolves, I might be more bothered!
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

I'm a wolf girl through and through which may be why I feel so strongly against it.

Here's what is said in the book when Jacob imprinted:

[All the lines that held me to my life were sliced apart in swift cuts, like clipping the strings to a bunch of balloons. Everything that made me who I was — my love for the dead girl upstairs, my love for my father, my loyalty to my new pack, the love for my other brothers, my hatred for my enemies, my home, my name, my self — disconnected from me in that second — snip, snip, snip — and floated up into space.

Why anyone would think any of this is a good thing, I have no idea.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Well, for all the bad that has been said about it, if the feeling is reciprocated, it does seem to make the imprinter happy. I guess this can be right or wrong depending on your interpretation.

And if this is just how the wolves come across their soulmate, isn't it a good thing? It would mean that this relationship is the one most likely to work for both individuals concerned. As the guide says when talking about Emily's reaction to it - she's surprised at such a happy and easy relationship. Although it can be seen as choices being taken away, perhaps the happiness than can result goes some way to mitigating that.

You know, if Nahuel comes back to fight for Nessie, it might make a future Jake/Nessie story interesting. Also (although I realise it's unlikely he'll survive if the Volturi are serious about destroying him) I really want Joham to come too. That could make it even more interesting! He'd certainly want Nessie for his boy! Maybe he'd try to kidnap her! And I'd love to see him meet the Cullens. The guide tells us that he's looking for scientific vampires to help him with his experiments. He'd love Carlisle! And imagine him suggesting to Edward that, since he's successfully fathered a child with a human, he should help him in his experiments? It would be interesting to hear Edward's reaction, to say the least!