General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Imprinting

Post by suzzeeQ »

I personally would rather be chosen by my significant other. There's something knowing he could be with anyone else but chose to be with me.

I guess I'm a big believer in choice and free will. I would rather make my own destiny instead of having my life planned out for me.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

While the way the imprinter is bound to the imprintee is a little extreme, I think it's still the partner of their choosing. It's just that the supernatural side of them knows who is best for them, and shows them in this way. If they find their soul mates this way, and this is the best person to make them happy, it does not seem like a bad thing to me that they have full confirmation of it.
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

I guess I'm a big believer in choice and free will. I would rather make my own destiny instead of having my life planned out for me.

That's cool, everyone has there own belief systems. The point is though, even with your own free will, wouldn't you chose the person who fit you best?
Naterpie
Settled in Forks

Post by Naterpie »

The problem I had with imprinting is very similar to what's already been said - choice being taken away, Jacob's blurry role of father/brother etc. But I did think it was a unique idea, and I often wish it could happen in real life!! Wouldn't that be easy!
I just couldn't understand why it should be possible on young children. I mean, I know that it's said over and over in the book that when they're kids it's not romantic at all- but the weird thing for me was that the imprinter does know, and intend, for it to become romantic at some point. When is that point? When they get impatient? Or a certain age? : / It just weirds me out somewhat when the children are involved.
"My hallucinatory Edwards were usually better fed...."
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Naterpie - since what is best for the imprintee is of the utmost importance, it would be only when the imprintee was emotionally ready for that kind of relationship. The imprinter is concerned with what is best for the imprintee, so would not force any kind of relationship on them that was not right for them.