General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
MrsTaylorLautner212
Wandering Through Town

Re: Imprinting

Post by MrsTaylorLautner212 »

All I can say is: Any one of those quiliuete (Yes, i spelled it wrong) boys can imprint on me ANY DAY!!
Team Jacob: Because I like my men HOT, ALIVE, and FURRY
My werewolf can beat up your vampire
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

AD523 wrote:
The main point I was trying to make was: would you want to be the one doing the imprinting? I've heard a lot of people saying (including people I know) that they would love to have someone imprint on them. I just think it's important to see both sides of the issue. From the imprinter's and imprintee's point of view.
I see your point. I think one thing to consider is that most people saying they want to be imprinted on are female (unless your experience has differed) and the pack was almost entirely male so being the imprintee seems more natural to them. I personally would not want to be the imprinter or imprintee because I enjoy the slow and gradual beginnings of love and wouldn't want to skip right over that part.

Here's an interesting thought I recently had...and it's purely hypothetical because I know this didn't happen in the books and it's probably too late for it to happen now...but what if Lean and another werewolf/shapeshifter had imprinted on each other? What kind of relationship would that be if they are both set on pleasing each other? I can picture the conversations. "What do you want to do?" "Whatever you want to do." "I want to do what you want to do." And so on and so forth.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
AD523
Settled in Forks

Post by AD523 »

I see your point. I think one thing to consider is that most people saying they want to be imprinted on are female (unless your experience has differed) and the pack was almost entirely male so being the imprintee seems more natural to them. I personally would not want to be the imprinter or imprintee because I enjoy the slow and gradual beginnings of love and wouldn't want to skip right over that part.

Here's an interesting thought I recently had...and it's purely hypothetical because I know this didn't happen in the books and it's probably too late for it to happen now...but what if Lean and another werewolf/shapeshifter had imprinted on each other? What kind of relationship would that be if they are both set on pleasing each other? I can picture the conversations. "What do you want to do?" "Whatever you want to do." "I want to do what you want to do." And so on and so forth.
Yup, everyone I've encountered was female (I have yet to meet a Twilight fan who is a guy). Even though I'm a girl, I guess I more naturally look at it from the pack's point of view because they were the characters we saw the most (and the characters whose minds we got to see during Jacob's book in BD). Also, I believe they were the ones being the most affected during the whole imprinting process. I agree with you too in that I wouldn't want to skip over the "slow and gradual beginnings."

And that is an interesting point, two werewolves imprinting. It made me laugh. But I don't know if that could happen because IF the purpose of imprinting is to pass on your genes, Leah isn't a great candidate for that. However, if that's not it, then I would think that it certainly is possible. They would probably make an nauseatingly love-struck couple, though.
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Ellie Ibis »

I used to love the idea of imprinting. Of course, when I first read the book I had just gotten out of a relationship, and I was completely and utterly in love with the idea of someone having such unconditional love. There's such certainty in imprinting, and that is definitely attractive.

Now I don't see it that way. I dislike the lack of free will, the lack of choice in the matter of imprinting. To me it would not be true love, it would be more like a curse, especially if you were a werewolf in an already established relationship, like Leah and Sam were. When you turn into a werewolf and you haven't imprinted, but you're in love with someone... how can do that? How can you look that person in the eye and tell them you love them when you know tomorrow could come, you could walk down the street, and then be essentially a slave to your feelings and forced to leave that person for another, whom you barely know?

The magic in love is the magic of choice, of the randomness and the luck it takes in finding someone you can get along with, you can spend the rest of your life with. The certainty of imprinting removes all that, it deludes that. It take away any natural, safe, new and gentle attraction, it takes away the work and the feelings you have when you know the relationship you're nurturing it flourishing, and forces it on you before you even know the person you're dedicating your life for.
the cops & the kids & the cats & the robbers
& the stolen moments from the out of tune guitars
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

^Brilliantly put. Exactly my thoughts. =)
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
NKistheshiz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by NKistheshiz »

I think imprinting is awesome and somehow just as strong and pure as true love. It's like love at first sight, but I don't get it that much.... I'm a bit confused. How does someone know they've been imprinted on?
Inquisitive and thoughtful,
she was the challenge he'd been waiting for;
a reminder that creativity runs deep like secrets.
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

psugar wrote:I feel sad for Claire and Nessie, I mean who would want to find their true love that young I can picture it.
"How long have you guys been together?"
Nessie:Since the day I was born

That ought to be a great conversation starter.
exactly my thoughts (i laughed at the quote thing!!) i mean they have no opportunities to date and grow up and be confused about love - in short what most teenage girls go through. although we may al hate it it is part of life and it makes finding that one true love more special after being with people who are not that person. i mean theres bits in BD when reneseme is mean to be possesive over jacob that he is hers. this shows that she really has no choice, that his trying to be there has made her need him.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

Ellie Ibis wrote:I used to love the idea of imprinting. Of course, when I first read the book I had just gotten out of a relationship, and I was completely and utterly in love with the idea of someone having such unconditional love. There's such certainty in imprinting, and that is definitely attractive.

Now I don't see it that way. I dislike the lack of free will, the lack of choice in the matter of imprinting. To me it would not be true love, it would be more like a curse, especially if you were a werewolf in an already established relationship, like Leah and Sam were. When you turn into a werewolf and you haven't imprinted, but you're in love with someone... how can do that? How can you look that person in the eye and tell them you love them when you know tomorrow could come, you could walk down the street, and then be essentially a slave to your feelings and forced to leave that person for another, whom you barely know?

The magic in love is the magic of choice, of the randomness and the luck it takes in finding someone you can get along with, you can spend the rest of your life with. The certainty of imprinting removes all that, it deludes that. It take away any natural, safe, new and gentle attraction, it takes away the work and the feelings you have when you know the relationship you're nurturing it flourishing, and forces it on you before you even know the person you're dedicating your life for.
I totally see your point. It does sort of take away the magic of love... you don't get that spontaneous (for lack of a better word) feeling of a new love.

Great ideas! I'm glad you posted this because I would've been totally frustrated with myself trying to put how I feel into words.

Love,
*Wanderer*
Last edited by *Wanderer* on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

Here's an interesting question (or at least I think it's interesting):

Does the imprintee, or the person who was imprinted on by a werewolf, actually imprint back?

If that doesn't make any sense, for example:
Jared imprinted on Kim, but did Kim imprint on Jared? (I really hope that makes sense to someone besides me :roll: )

I'm really curious as to what your guys' ideas on that are...

Love,
*Wanderer*
Last edited by *Wanderer* on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

*Wanderer* wrote:Here's an interesting question (or at least I think it's interesting):

Does the imprintee, or the person who was imprinted on by a werewolf, actually imprint back?

If that doesn't make any sense, for example:
Jared imprinted on Kim, but did Kim imprint on Jared? (I really hope that makes sense to someone besides me :roll: )

I'm really curious as to what your guys' ideas on that are...

Love,
*Wanderer*
I think I read a Q&A with Steph and the answer to your question, Wanderer (btw, I love your signature. So true!). The imprinter is eternally attached to the person he/she imprinted. But the person who was imprinted can or not, choose him/her as mate. But the bound formed between them is real. I found this so unfair.