Imprinting

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Re: Imprinting

Post by Landiana »

that would be creepy if he imprinted on his own child! ~shuders at the thought~

i think that as nessie gets older you will see jacob become more jacoby - if that makes any sense at all!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
maddy<3twilight
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by maddy<3twilight »

What is Jacoby? :lol:
RR! ~ Major Dark! ~ I <3 Peeta! ~ J<3B ~
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Re-posted from Science of Twilight thread:
By the way: For anyone who wants to know what the purpose of Imprinting is, view page 210 of Breaking Dawn. (Somewhere around there, during Leah's conversation with Jacob)

To make a bunch of new little werewolves. Survival of the species, genetic override. You're drawn to the person who gives you the best chance to pass on the wolf gene.

He thinks you're imprinting to make stronger wolves.

SMeyer confirmed that this was the reason in an interview— she's done so many that I can't find it, but if I do, I'll post.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
sunni
Settled in Forks

Post by sunni »

I'm confused by this. If you take in Meyer's mention of Nessie's chromosomes, then logically she would most surely be sterile.

Is this not a contradiction to the purpose of imprinting? As mentioned above, imprinting is purely for passing on genetic information - continuing the wolf gene - so why would Jacob imprint on someone who has no chance of passing on said gene? Unless Nessie is fertile but then the chromosome explanation would be irrelevant and make no sense???
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

I really think it always made sence to me that Jacob would Imprint on Renesmee.
I think I always knew... :D
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
amie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by amie »

Amivera wrote:
bite_me wrote:Just a question . . .

If the main reason Jacob was so addicted to Bella was because she was half renesmee . . . why didn't he fall desperately in love with the other half of Nessie . . . Aka Edward?

Sorry. I just had to mention that. :mrgreen:
I don't believe that's the reason Jacob was addicted to Bella. Otherwise, SMeyer logic has committed suicide yet again, because if Jacob was attracted to a single, unfertilized egg in Bella, which had a one in a million chance of becoming Renesmee, that is just absurd.

Furthermore, if it was the egg in Bella that drew him to her, he would have been drawn for one month (give or take a few days) until Bella's body expelled that egg in the process that all us women so love and enjoy. Our eggs don't stick around past their expiration date.

He was drawn to Bella because they are friends, and she's pretty and kind and all the other reasons fifteen year old boys fall in love with seventeen year old girls that are nice to them. It became something more because they had a true friendship, rather than her just shrugging him off and ignoring him as so many seventeen year old girls would do.

In general, I understand the complaint about not liking imprinting because it removes choice, but I'm not sure... I mean, I've been truly, deeply in love, and I can tell you, choice is not part of it. If choice were a part of love, we wouldn't ever have broken hearts, right? We could say "Hey, man that I married, sorry I didn't realize what a schmuck you were before now, good thing I've decided not to love you anymore" and be done with it. Even within the confines of the Twilight Universe, when Edward is talking about his choices, he mentions killing her, changing her, staying with her live, or just leaving her. He never mentions "stop loving her" - because that isn't a choice he can make.

Love and choice are mutually exclusive, IMO.
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I think that imprinting is different and uninque.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

sunni wrote:I'm confused by this. If you take in Meyer's mention of Nessie's chromosomes, then logically she would most surely be sterile.

Is this not a contradiction to the purpose of imprinting? As mentioned above, imprinting is purely for passing on genetic information - continuing the wolf gene - so why would Jacob imprint on someone who has no chance of passing on said gene? Unless Nessie is fertile but then the chromosome explanation would be irrelevant and make no sense???
why would her chromosomal count make her sterile?? that doesn't make sense, she has the same amount as the wolves and they aren't sterile.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town

Post by Shakespeare »

Hybrids of creatures with two different amounts of chromosomes are almost always sterile.
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
babywerewolf
Settled in Forks

Post by babywerewolf »

Mod Edit:
When you find a troll, please refrain yourself from quoting them in your post. It just makes my job a little harder when we have to clean up several posts. ~Nena

How incredibly classy of you. Thanks for that excellent contribution to the conversation.