General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Imprinting

Post by Pendragon »

Volterrian i couldn't agree with you more! I think because a lot of people are blinded by how happy all the imprinted couples look that they fail to see all the negative consequences that can come with imprinting. Leah's story was just one of many examples of the negative effects. Also I agree with your sig, the Jacob we know and love did die the moment he saw Nessie. :(
Volterrian
Wandering Through Town

Post by Volterrian »

Oh I love Renesmee, please no-one get me wrong about that. She is an amazing little character and I am glad Jacob at least imprinted on someone who will have a very good chance of being a good person. But no-one else seems to realize the full idea of imprinting.

I spoke about how it consumes the person who imprints imagine the pain it causes everyone else. What if Embry for example went on to have a wife and kids and was really happy and loved his wife. Then he sees 'her' and all that no longer matters. I am sure he would still love his kids and wife but ALL their lives are ruined. what Sam and Leah had was a high school romance, and yes they loved each other but.. it wasn't as big as it could have been.

Imprinting wouldn't have been so bad if the person didn't go completely insane with wanting to fulfill the desires and needs of the imprintee. I was shocked when I read Breaking Dawn, at least the part where Jacob didn't tell Renesmee what was fully going on, but she needed to not be afraid all the time, so still it was about her not the right thing. He did have one or so quips in there but not as many as before and no where near as many as Jacob should have had... the list of vampire names to keep track of them all, or how bad bella smells now and so on.
R.I.P - Jacob Black [Died August 2nd, 2008](Page 360, Book 2, Breaking Dawn)
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

I had a random thought today. Assume that imprinting is purely for genetic reasons and it has NOTHING to do with soul mates. Also assume that Rachel and Rebecca Black are identical twins, meaning they have the EXACT SAME DNA. Could Paul imprint on Rebecca too? Or do you think he could have imprinted on Rebecca instead of Rachel if he had seen her first? If he imprinted on Rachel because she gives him the greatest possibility to pass on the gene, and she and Rebecca have the exact same genes, it would make sense if he could have imprinted on Rebecca. Just a thought.
Silver Rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by Silver Rose »

I always thought that it was hypocritical that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee. For the entire book series we've known that the shapeshifters did not like any vampire. Jacob even wanted to kill his "love" because he thought he was "saving" her from being a vampire.

Then after Renesmee was born all that went away. Renesmee is half human, half vampire. How is it that Jacob has hated vampires since he became a shapeshifter but when he imprinted on one, he no longer was? Now he pretty much likes all of them (minus Rosalie but not because she's a vampire, but because of her personality), even though they are their "natural enemies."
Thanks to Eclipsed.by.Love for the sig and avi
CourtCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by CourtCullen »

Volterrian brings up a really interesting point, I totally agree.

Just wondering, but imagine that Bella had allowed Carlisle to remove Renesmee from her womb during, let's say, the middle of her pregnancy, like what Edward and Jacob had wanted to do. If Jacob had first seen Renesmee this way (as in after she was removed and she was not full developed), would he have still imprinted on her? She would still be alive, at least at first. Or would he still be in love with Bella and have no feeling towards Nessie?
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

CourtCullen wrote:
Just wondering, but imagine that Bella had allowed Carlisle to remove Renesmee from her womb during, let's say, the middle of her pregnancy, like what Edward and Jacob had wanted to do. If Jacob had first seen Renesmee this way (as in after she was removed and she was not full developed), would he have still imprinted on her? She would still be alive, at least at first. Or would he still be in love with Bella and have no feeling towards Nessie?
That does give the reader something to think about. Now I'm going to wonder what would have happened if it did.

I think him imprinting depended on how far along in development the baby was and whether or not she had developed eyes because that's how the imprint is made (or at least that's how I remember it happening).

Assuming Jacob can't or doesn't look in the baby's eyes, I assume that he would still love Bella pre-birth of Renesmee. I would hope that he would allow both Edward and Bella to enjoy their marriage and love each other by not sticking around and moping over not being the one for Bella.

Leah Forever
Settled in Forks

Post by Leah Forever »

Also, Renesmee is a DHAMPIR, and Jacob is a SHAPE SHIFTER. The baby they have... if they have it... will be one third VAMPIRE, one third HUMAN, and one third SHAPE SHIFTER. How? Who? When? But? Where? Why? How? But? ... WHAT? That is a mistake of EPIC proportions. Why did Stephenie have to make him imprint on a BABY, completely forgetting the different species? WHY? :cry:

Finally, Renesmee has 25 pairs of chromosomes - 25. Because it is extremely rare to live normally with more than 23 chromosome pairs, that equals either Down's Syndrome or sterility - i.e. if she doesn't have Down's Syndrome, then she will most likely be sterile, which means she can't get pregnant. So she and Jacob couldn't produce a baby, and thus Jacob's imprinting on Renesmee was utterly pointless.
--------------------

Right. So out of 5 imprinting, only 2 I'm OK with. And this is just me, remember. I don't wish to make you change your opinions.

There is one thing, though. Read this. It explains the other things I have against QuilxClaire and JacobxRenesmee.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Um, can we please cool down the rhetoric here?

Thanks,

-- Your Friendly Neighbourhood Mod Team
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Leah Forever
Settled in Forks

Post by Leah Forever »

Apologies. I rant quite a lot, don't I?
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

Just wondering, but assume that Jacob didn't imprint and Renesmee grows up to about seven years of age. By this point she would physically be in her teens and emotionally maybe even older than that so she would be attending high-school. Assume that a random boy from school -who doesn't know anything about her origin- fell in love with her (not that far of a stretch given her vampire-beauty) and they started dating. Being a teen both physically and emotionally, she would at least be intrigued or curious about things like that. Would you be disgusted as well?

If you only look at actual age than the Edward-Bella relationship would be paedophilic as well or at least a little `Hugh Hefner`, since Edward is almost a hundred years older than Bella. I think he could even be put in jail in the US for having an underage relationship, right? And what about Carlisle-Esme? I believe Carlisle is several hundred years older that Esme. Or look at Taha Aki, who goes through three wives before he desides to grow old with the last one. I don't see fans objecting to those relationships.

I view Renesmee as being a completely different species with accelerated maturation. We don't see a seven year old dog or cat and say: He is way to young to be reproducing! In that respect, I don't think it is fair to compare vampire-human hybrid development with that of a full human.

Also, the natural development of every child is different. Meaning that while one thirteen year old might be ready to see pg-13 movies, an other might not. Denying Renesmee things that she is ready for at any point in her emotional or physical development is like saying that intellectually gifted children can't skip a grade simply because they are not the right age.

Let me just say that I don't mind the imprinting. I think it's sweet and I would be lucky to have such a strong connection with someone someday. I believe it's more a spiritual/emotional connection than an physical one. But that is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to have their own.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689