Imprinting

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Imprinting

Postby Lunna-san » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 am

threethings wrote:I really think it always made sence to me that Jacob would Imprint on Renesmee.
I think I always knew... :D


I think we got an idea when Jacob was talking with Quil about Claire and we could see how they act around each other. I think that scene was there to show us that we should not be afraid of what was coming next. Because the imprinter and the imprinted (is this the right terms?) have a deep and respectiful relationship.

Actually, it's quite funny. Everybody complains about Jacob impriniting on Renesmee, but I never read people protesting about Quil and Claire. It's a similar situation. Claire is a child and Quil, an adolescent boy. It's disturbing too. But I think Jacob looks at Renesmee and he doesn't see her as a lover or his future wife. He sees her like some precious. Someone to be cared and loved. Like a little sister. I don't think it's sick or that Nessie will grow screwed up.
User avatar
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: Imprinting

Postby threethings » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Lunna-san wrote:
threethings wrote:I really think it always made sence to me that Jacob would Imprint on Renesmee.
I think I always knew... :D


I think we got an idea when Jacob was talking with Quil about Claire and we could see how they act around each other. I think that scene was there to show us that we should not be afraid of what was coming next. Because the imprinter and the imprinted (is this the right terms?) have a deep and respectiful relationship.

Actually, it's quite funny. Everybody complains about Jacob impriniting on Renesmee, but I never read people protesting about Quil and Claire. It's a similar situation. Claire is a child and Quil, an adolescent boy. It's disturbing too. But I think Jacob looks at Renesmee and he doesn't see her as a lover or his future wife. He sees her like some precious. Someone to be cared and loved. Like a little sister. I don't think it's sick or that Nessie will grow screwed up.


Yes. Not creepy. I loved it.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
threethings
Phase Control Expert
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm
Location: Twittering.

Re: Imprinting

Postby Shakespeare » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:21 pm

Lunna-san wrote:
threethings wrote:I really think it always made sence to me that Jacob would Imprint on Renesmee.
I think I always knew... :D


I think we got an idea when Jacob was talking with Quil about Claire and we could see how they act around each other. I think that scene was there to show us that we should not be afraid of what was coming next. Because the imprinter and the imprinted (is this the right terms?) have a deep and respectiful relationship.

Actually, it's quite funny. Everybody complains about Jacob impriniting on Renesmee, but I never read people protesting about Quil and Claire. It's a similar situation. Claire is a child and Quil, an adolescent boy. It's disturbing too. But I think Jacob looks at Renesmee and he doesn't see her as a lover or his future wife. He sees her like some precious. Someone to be cared and loved. Like a little sister. I don't think it's sick or that Nessie will grow screwed up.


We definitely complain about Quil and Claire. I was an anti a few months before Breaking Dawn was released, and there was some talk about it even then. But at that time we were just bothered that Meyer explained it by saying that she thought it was "funny". That obviously wasn't the case. Jacob and Nessie now have the spotlight simply because they're main characters.

Jacob and Quil may not see their toddler girlfriends as future wives, but they know that they will marry them eventually. I don't think there is any doubt about that. Right now, the two men are authority figures in the girls' lives. They'll be telling them "Don't run in the street!" "Don't tell your friends that Mommy sparkles!" etc. At what point does this really change into an equal relationship? Can it? Could you really see a babysitter in a romantic sense?

Beyond that, these kids are expected just to accept Jacob and Quil as their mates. Their family just agrees that they will be future lovers. They don't act like there is a second option. Claire and Nessie aren't going to know that they do have freewill. If they don't like their future mates, too bad.
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
User avatar
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Imprinting

Postby Moviesnob » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:37 pm

They don't act like there is a second option. Claire and Nessie aren't going to know that they do have freewill. If they don't like their future mates, too bad.


I don't agree with your statement. In one of the books, Jacob specifically says that Claire can always reject Quil. He states that she would never want to, as both of them are crafted specifically for the other. So while it's very unlikely and it would be very surprising, Claire and Nessie would both very much have free will to reject those that have imprinted on them. I don't believe that any of the characters would prevent them from that if that was what they truly wanted. I do see your point that they are being raised as if their mates are selected, but I believe they would have free will if they wished to reject those mates.
User avatar
Moviesnob
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: Carrollton, TX

Re: Imprinting

Postby Shakespeare » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Moviesnob wrote:
They don't act like there is a second option. Claire and Nessie aren't going to know that they do have freewill. If they don't like their future mates, too bad.


I don't agree with your statement. In one of the books, Jacob specifically says that Claire can always reject Quil. He states that she would never want to, as both of them are crafted specifically for the other. So while it's very unlikely and it would be very surprising, Claire and Nessie would both very much have free will to reject those that have imprinted on them. I don't believe that any of the characters would prevent them from that if that was what they truly wanted. I do see your point that they are being raised as if their mates are selected, but I believe they would have free will if they wished to reject those mates.


I'm not saying someone will physically force them to be together, but psychologically they will. Like you just said, everyone expects them to be together. Nobody acts like there is a possibility of a second choice. At that age, kids just accept what people tell them. Since they will grow up without thinking about a second choice, they essentially have no second choice.
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
User avatar
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Imprinting

Postby Gia Pattinson♥ » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:59 pm

I was kind of shocked at first, but I guess I kinda always knew something like that would happen. I really liked Quil and Claire's story, it was very cute in Breaking Dawn on the beach. Jacob and Renesmee are special too, because vampires and warewolves are meant to be enimies. I like the whole inprinting idea :)
Image Image Image
User avatar
Gia Pattinson♥
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Imprinting

Postby foolinthemoon » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Moviesnob wrote:
They don't act like there is a second option. Claire and Nessie aren't going to know that they do have freewill. If they don't like their future mates, too bad.


I don't agree with your statement. In one of the books, Jacob specifically says that Claire can always reject Quil. He states that she would never want to, as both of them are crafted specifically for the other. So while it's very unlikely and it would be very surprising, Claire and Nessie would both very much have free will to reject those that have imprinted on them. I don't believe that any of the characters would prevent them from that if that was what they truly wanted. I do see your point that they are being raised as if their mates are selected, but I believe they would have free will if they wished to reject those mates.


To add to the discussion, Jacob also says that 'Quil will be whatever it is Claire needs', so if she were to deny Quil, or fall in love with someone else when she came of age, his role would stay true to that of a big brother in her life. He would NEVER come between her and her happiness. He would just want the best for her.
Image
Image
Midnight Sun Virgin ~ E<3B ~ Marcus doesn't seem to care that I love him... <3
User avatar
foolinthemoon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 am
Location: My Body is in NC, My Mind is in Forks

Re: Imprinting

Postby Shakespeare » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:24 pm

foolinthemoon wrote:To add to the discussion, Jacob also says that 'Quil will be whatever it is Claire needs', so if she were to deny Quil, or fall in love with someone else when she came of age, his role would stay true to that of a big brother in her life. He would NEVER come between her and her happiness. He would just want the best for her.


I think that statement was only meant to explain that the guys weren't going to marry the babies until they were older. A lot of evidence points against your interpretation. The purpose of imprinting is to make little baby wolves, Quil stops going out with girls once he imprints, Jake gives Nessie a promise ring, Edward calls Jacob "my son", etc.

And let's not forget that Sam tore off half of Emily's face when she tried to deny him.
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
User avatar
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Imprinting

Postby foolinthemoon » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:51 pm

Shakespeare wrote:And let's not forget that Sam tore off half of Emily's face when she tried to deny him.


I don't recall that. Just that he lost control of his temper while she was standing near him.

Also, the imprinting to make baby wolves is also a theory, they aren't 100% certain that is the reason. It could be as simple as that's who they are most emotionally compatible with. Not that i disagree with any of the theories, But like i said, they are all theories :)

Quil stops going out with girls, because he's complete. Claire Completes him, doesn't matter how. And whos to say that the 'promise ring' isn't a promise to be there for what ever Rennesme needs?

But I can't argue with the 'My son' comment. Which kinda made me go :/ when i read it. That was just weird... lol
Image
Image
Midnight Sun Virgin ~ E<3B ~ Marcus doesn't seem to care that I love him... <3
User avatar
foolinthemoon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 am
Location: My Body is in NC, My Mind is in Forks

Re: Imprinting

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:54 pm

so, shakespeare, you think that quil and jacob look at the girls they have imprinted on??

and what happened with sam and emily was that emily rejected him on the grounds that he was leah's, and i think she really gave him crap about how awful he was being, which built upon his already existent guilt and self-loathing, sending him into a tailspin. this is how he was - totally out of his mind - when emily found him. that's when he hurt her.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron