Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: The Volturi Coven and Guard

Post by The Dark Knight »

ringswraith wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:***Actually they got lucky to have escaped with their skins on. All the Voltaire had to do is take out Bella and the rest would have fallen quickly. A few guards at best expended.
You underestimate the other side. If the Volturi thought the way you did about the encounter, things would not have resolved the way they did in the book. You have one side whose powers are all neutralized versus another with all their powers intact. Sure Bella was the weakest link, but do you honestly think they would leave her undefended? And don't forget Zafrina's ability to rob them of their senses.

***Maybe, if all things are left equal, remember once Aro understood that the shield was only mental and not a physical bearier he knew how to win. One phospherous grenade or a few why not have fun and Bella's shield is down. Again your thinking of terms of fair play, Aro is about winning.
The Dark Knight wrote:***That's given that the more powerful covens find out in time. If not they could be destroyed quickly and quietly before anyone get's the wiser. Once done the Voltaire’s would have no issue writing the history about how the bad Covens need to be dealt with because of XYZ pretext. Who would be able to say otherwise and live?
Not with Alice around. All the covens are on the alert now after the confrontation. And no one is going to believe any story they put up for destroying the Cullens- certainly not anyone who was at the confrontation. Maggie and that other vampire on the witness party made sure of that.

***Alice can't be all thing to everyone. Besides their are numerous ways to get around her gift. Liner thinking will get you killed, Multiple attacks at the same time. They are endless ways this can work.
The Dark Knight wrote:***Actually SM even mentions that many vampires think the Veggie life style is an abomination. Edward mentions that to Bella in a back handed way in Twilight. The Vampire credo is to live off the human cattle not the farm animals of their prey. The Voltaire’s can use that prejudice to create unrest with that lifestyle. Thus giving rise to a pretext later or a Vampire law change. This is a basic move in warfare, it's called isolating your enemy with propaganda. The Denali sisters are on the list to be dealt with you know.
Since when are grizzly bears, mountain lions, et al "farm animals of their prey"? What you're saying is akin to fanatics being prejudiced against minority groups. And what happens when the fanatics take action against the minority? Other people step in. And if the Denalis are on this list simply for being vegetarian, they should have been dead long ago. Remember, they're older than Carlisle, and the event with their mother occurred prior to his meeting them, if I recall correctly.

***They are both pretty good. I didn't drawn this year for Bear or Deer but I did get an Elk tag. Mountain Lions hunting is for the young, with my left leg issue I just can't keep up with the dogs on a 10 mile run. Use to but not anymore. The term "farm animals" is regretable, should have said food sorce instead. By the way all forms of prejudism is fanatical to someone. Your missing the point, it can be used with a coordinated propaganda/law change to bring down the Cullen's and vamps like them.
The Dark Knight wrote:***Need a reason, no they can trump one up as needed. Again, to the victor the spoils, and in this case the ability to write the history as they want it to read.
Then clearly we cannot agree on this point. Because I just cannot see them taking action first and then fabricating stories later.

***If they are the bad guys you make them out to be, then why can't you see them going all the way...it strengthen's your point. Have you ever played the game paranoid? It's even funner to play in a military psych war class. It will open you up to any possiblity.
The Dark Knight wrote:***Ring you may want to read a few books on this subject. The Art of War by Tzu Su, The Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi and the Prince by Machiavelli. They are great reads and they might help you understand the Voltaire mindset. This engagement is but the first one in the war to come. That’s what the Romanians meant when they left in BD.
I understand their mindset. Which is why I'm saying destroying the Cullens is completely unneccessary and will only lead to their downfall should they act upon it. (And yes, those are great books. I haven't read them personally but have heard some of their content.)
***Well Rings, without reading them you miss what this discussion is all about (world domination). To me and I may be all wet here, your not anywhere close to the Volturi mindset which is OK by me. Nothing is off the table with them upto and including a nuke if it serves their purpose. I guess we will never see eye to eye on this.

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Last edited by ringswraith on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

One thing- I cannot see any of the Volturi, or vampires in general, using human technology, ever. Since most vampires consider themselves to be superior to humans, why use their weapons, when their own speed and silence and abilities are so much better?
Also, with nukes, that is without a doubt the fastest way to get themselves noticed by humans. A nuclear attack on US soil would have the gov't looking everywhere, and they might easily be spotted. Yes, they have excellent ways of covering themselves, but the Voturi are not invincible. They wouldn't use a nuke. That's a stupid idea.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Yeah... DK, you may be in the world domination mindset but your suggestion of their use of things like nukes tells me you're nowhere close to the Volturi mindset.

They aren't stupid. They know they could be overpowered if everyone banded together. They know the Cullens have the power to make that happen. They know they aren't necessarily very popular anymore. They know their grasp of power is shaky, and they know that if they give people a reason to revolt, they will.

One more thing. It's the Volturi, not the Voltaire. Voltaire was an 18th century Enlightenment writer. Ironic, almost, as his writings often defended civil liberties, and the Volturi are anything but on that page.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Yeah... DK, you may be in the world domination mindset but your suggestion of their use of things like nukes tells me you're nowhere close to the Volturi mindset.

They aren't stupid. They know they could be overpowered if everyone banded together. They know the Cullens have the power to make that happen. They know they aren't necessarily very popular anymore. They know their grasp of power is shaky, and they know that if they give people a reason to revolt, they will.

One more thing. It's the Volturi, not the Voltaire. Voltaire was an 18th century Enlightenment writer. Ironic, almost, as his writings often defended civil liberties, and the Volturi are anything but on that page.

Think of it this way, if the Volturi could rid themselves of on of the major covens against them without it being traced back to them, would they? I put forth they would, by any means necessary. So even using human’s tech would be on the table just to cover their tracks (can you see Aro saying something like this, “It wasn’t us we would never use that blasphemy.”). Please remember Aro thinks like Go not Chess, it's a different mindset to achieve ones goals.

SM does mention that have some kind of grenade like item that creates the purple flame to burn their defeated opponent to cinders. From the discussion that Edward, Bella and Alice have the guards are all selected because they have gifts. Some like Tracking, I think it was Felix or Demetrius and others like the little girl vamp behind Aro that is like Bella's mind shield. Aro being the collector and we don’t know what all he has up his sleeve. Whether it’s in 10 years or a 100 years, there will be blood, they have time on their side. Plenty of time to change mindsets of the vampire would with propaganda.

Let me put forth another concept to think on. The Volturi are my like Sabbat from Vampire: the Masquerade. They will do things that a normal person would begin to fathom. Open yourself to anything and everything, the more wicked and out of the normal the better.

To Quote Dangerous Liaisons again, “Cruelty, it has a nobler ring to it.” :twisted:

Yes the misspelling of Voltaire was an inside joke that last for over a month, opulent all ready call me on it. You just never know what’s going to be next…Enjoy the humor. :lol:

dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

The Dark Knight wrote: 1. SM does mention that have some kind of grenade like item that creates the purple flame to burn their defeated opponent to cinders.

2.Some like Tracking, I think it was Felix or Demetrius and others like the little girl vamp behind Aro that is like Bella's mind shield.

3.Let me put forth another concept to think on. The Volturi are my like Sabbat from Vampire: the Masquerade. They will do things that a normal person would begin to fathom. Open yourself to anything and everything, the more wicked and out of the normal the better.

4.Yes the misspelling of Voltaire was an inside joke that last for over a month, opulent all ready call me on it. You just never know what’s going to be next…Enjoy the humor. :lol:
1. I'd like to see the exact quote mentioning "grenades" if you please. As far as I remember, the only time explosives are mentioned has something to do with vampires "holding still long enough for it to hit them" which is a hypothetical situation, and probably not what you're thinking of.

2. Demitri is a skilled tracker. The girl, Renata, has a shield that mentally deters anyone from her immediate vicinity, subtly forcing them away from her, and Aro.

3. The vampires were once human, they still think like us. They just have several thousand years experience to add to it.

4. The misspelling, even if it was intentional, is still mildly aggravating, as is the rest of your grammar. Course, I jsut have issues with bad grammar and spelling. Can you please edit your writing so its slightly more legible? I can just deal with it too, however.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote: 1. SM does mention that have some kind of grenade like item that creates the purple flame to burn their defeated opponent to cinders.

2.Some like Tracking, I think it was Felix or Demetrius and others like the little girl vamp behind Aro that is like Bella's mind shield.

3.Let me put forth another concept to think on. The Volturi are my like Sabbat from Vampire: the Masquerade. They will do things that a normal person would begin to fathom. Open yourself to anything and everything, the more wicked and out of the normal the better.

4.Yes the misspelling of Voltaire was an inside joke that last for over a month, opulent all ready call me on it. You just never know what’s going to be next…Enjoy the humor. :lol:
1. I'd like to see the exact quote mentioning "grenades" if you please. As far as I remember, the only time explosives are mentioned has something to do with vampires "holding still long enough for it to hit them" which is a hypothetical situation, and probably not what you're thinking of.

2. Demitri is a skilled tracker. The girl, Renata, has a shield that mentally deters anyone from her immediate vicinity, subtly forcing them away from her, and Aro.

3. The vampires were once human, they still think like us. They just have several thousand years experience to add to it.

4. The misspelling, even if it was intentional, is still mildly aggravating, as is the rest of your grammar. Course, I jsut have issues with bad grammar and spelling. Can you please edit your writing so its slightly more legible? I can just deal with it too, however.

You’re more than welcome to go reread in Eclipse where the Volturi guards kill Brie and light her on fire. They speak of it briefly but not in detail. Hopefully it’s in the SM twilight Encyclopedia that is coming out shortly.

Yep the guards have talents...

Do you have any proof that they think like us?

As for my diction, grammar and spelling, I'm not likely to change it for anyone. If you find it irritating just don't read my post, best I can do for you. "Whisky to drown and beer to chase my blues away," Garth Brooks, the third verse is more apropos though...

dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

I've never heard of that song, seeing as I despise country, and I don't drink, so no point. :D Oh, and you spelled Bree wrong. You needn't change it, but i will be pointing it out and frequently asking for clarification when I can't understand what the heck you're attempting reiterate.

There's not a lot of proof that they don't think like us. Like Edward said, "most of the human desires are there, just hidden behind more powerful desires." (Desires do translate to emotion, so don't you dare jump on me for this) The lessons the Volturi, or any vampire, would have learned when they were human would still be with them. How to lead, to love, to have empathy, or the cruelty of the world would have been imprinted in their amygdala for the eternities. Their human memories might fade, but those essential lessons that define their character wouldn't. Essentially, they still think like us, because they were once us, they've merely added several thousand years experience. But that experience hasn't made them wise, in the sense of a wise grandfather, but wise like a serpent, knowing how and when to strike and kill without leaving a giant bloody (or radioactive *coughcough*) mess.

As I remember, the body simply burst into flame, not an explosion. That makes me think a lighter of some sort, not a grenade. Everyone could use a lighter, not everyone could use a grenade. The Volturi could even have invented their own lighter, seeing as they have so much free time, or perhaps one of the Guard can manipulate fire. Many possibilites in that case, not all of them involving non-existent explosions.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

DK, I wonder why you assume you know how they think better than all of us.... if there's any source of information that you're getting all this from, I'd love to be privy to it. If it's just speculation, we should remember that.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:I've never heard of that song, seeing as I despise country, and I don't drink, so no point. :D Oh, and you spelled Bree wrong. You needn't change it, but i will be pointing it out and frequently asking for clarification when I can't understand what the heck you're attempting reiterate.

There's not a lot of proof that they don't think like us. Like Edward said, "most of the human desires are there, just hidden behind more powerful desires." (Desires do translate to emotion, so don't you dare jump on me for this) The lessons the Volturi, or any vampire, would have learned when they were human would still be with them. How to lead, to love, to have empathy, or the cruelty of the world would have been imprinted in their amygdala for the eternities. Their human memories might fade, but those essential lessons that define their character wouldn't. Essentially, they still think like us, because they were once us, they've merely added several thousand years experience. But that experience hasn't made them wise, in the sense of a wise grandfather, but wise like a serpent, knowing how and when to strike and kill without leaving a giant bloody (or radioactive *coughcough*) mess.

As I remember, the body simply burst into flame, not an explosion. That makes me think a lighter of some sort, not a grenade. Everyone could use a lighter, not everyone could use a grenade. The Volturi could even have invented their own lighter, seeing as they have so much free time, or perhaps one of the Guard can manipulate fire. Many possibilites in that case, not all of them involving non-existent explosions.
Desire is a form of emotion...now worries I don't jump people rather rebuttal is my style...at least I try too.

Actually they don't burst into flames as Edward and Seth have to make the fire to put the parts of Riley and Victoria in. He also uses the purple ignitions. By the way a phosphorous grenade does not explode like you might think rather is melts down through things like a car & engine block. Pretty cool to see but the smell is awful.