What did you think of the Twilight Series?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: What did you think of the Twilight Series?

Post by navarre »

I'm came across these books courtesy of my 21 year old daughter who was trying to console me after my favorite vampire show "Moonlight" was cancelled in May. She left me with "Twilight" and told me to give it a try.
Needless to say, what caught my eye was the 'Preface'. To read a book in the first person is so different than the third person set up.

I never looked back - call it a constant craving, I immediately went and bought New Moon, because I was impatient with waiting for my daughter to finish it, and then I purchased Eclipse and developed a powerful 'fever' that could not be cured. Stood in line when Breaking Dawn came out and lost my ever lovin' mind over this book. I joined another Forum and then it went down for some reason and then I found this one and joined.

I've been "freaky-bananas" for this series ever since. Even though I am 43 years old, I DO NOT consider myself a Twilight Mom, but a Twilighter who happens to be 43 and a mom - the new YA. :lol:

This is the best book series I have ever read since Laura Ingalls-Wilder books from my youth. Expertly written, these characters are beautifully drawn and developed- these stories grab you by the throat and yank you into a world of fantasy, fun, excitement, drama, suspense and most of all you can not help but fall in love with all of them(characters). SM has even been able to wonderfully draw the secondary characters and make them interesting and believable.

I say, "Well done, Stephenie Meyer - well done!! Now just give us Midnight Sun and I'll be one content kitty-cat!!
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Analisse
Learning to Love Green

Post by Analisse »

Before reading the Twilight Series I had never read a book about vampires in my life and of course not one about the love of a vampire for a human girl.
Then one day one of my friends talked to me about Twilight and knowing what kind of books I usually like to read, she said "You should read it" So I bought the book. At first it was good, I liked how the story is told on Bella's POV and everything and then I started to love it. I totally love the Twilight Series.
In a really short time this Series made me believe in love again, and I actually read them during a bad moment of my life, so that makes me love them even more.
It was hard for me to read New Moon (not because I don't like it, I love it) it was because I was going through that bad moment and New Moon is good for reading if you having a bad day, but in the end is amazing and I'm glad I read it.
Eclipse is amazing too, it gave me back that sense of wanting to read more and more, specially on the end.
I know a lot of people don't like Breaking Dawn....well I'm sorry for them because I love it, it's my favorite of the 4 books. I love the end, I love how everything turn out to be.
switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by switzgal »

I don't know how I lived this long w/o an Edward and Jacob in my life. I'm so glad they're in my life now.

If I can quote the book since the Twilight series is over ... I feel ...
"Like a junkie with a limited supply..."
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

when my sister first gave me twilight i literally COULD NOT put it down my eyes were practically glued to the book, i stayed up until 7:00 am reading it non-stop. i REALLY loved and still do love the twilight series. the only book that i was iffy on at first was new moon (mostly because i was just waiting for edward), but once i read it again i found i really liked it. :D and now i am totally and completely unhealthily obsessed. :mrgreen:
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
lune1204
Settled in Forks

Post by lune1204 »

at first i thought of the book as a birthday git since i had been seeing it in the bestseller rack's of my favorite bookstores. though being curious i peeked and read the first pages and i changed my mind on giving it as a gift. i bought it for myself, as i read i really had loved it and i really loved how stephenie had described everything. As i read i can really imagine everything that had been described. then i say that it's a great book because i dont pick thick books for my reading. the twilight sereis is beyond comparable that is what i think of it :D for short I really loved the book. though unfortunately my friends dont share the same compassion as i have :(
Sturpherz
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sturpherz »

I will admit that when the Twilight frenzy first started, I was uninterested in reading anything that had to do with Twilight, but eventually curiosity definitely got the best of me and now here I am writing about me addiction on the lexicon forums.

So, yes I love Twilight and everything that has to do with the saga. I guess you could say, I am one of many many people who are now addicted to Stephenie Meyer and her YA saga Twilight. Have I been interested in reading YA books, well I guess but I never really paid attention to what classification my book was in, I just read it because it was a good book. Did I know it was about vampires, yes I did.
"The most important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become..."
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

When Twilight was first put into my hands, it was not well known (New Moon had not even come out yet) and a girl had just shown me a book about vampires the day before. By the back description, that book was all about blood and sex, stuff that I am not into. So at first when I read the quote on the back with the whole Edward's a vampire thing going on, I was disgusted, thinking it would be like that other book. But we were state testing and I had to read something as everyone finished up, I had no other book, so I was flipping through and read SM's biography where it said she went to BYU. Suddenly I felt better that the book would not be morally wrong to read. So, I figured I'd read it for the half hour and give it back to my teacher. Why in the world would I be interested in vampires? Well, I got hooked first chapter, would not give it back to my teacher, and stayed up until midnight to finish it that day. I kept it for a few more days, rereading and then I had to give it back to my teacher and I was very sad. I had no money to buy my own copy, and my parents don't buy me books unless it is apart of a series I can't wait to finish, it's my birthday or Christmas, or it's for school. My mom wouldn't buy it since I already read it, and I was so sad!! But I got it that Christmas, so it was cool.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
butterfly420km
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by butterfly420km »

I had heard about Twilight here and there before finally reading the book. I knew that there were people that were completely obsessed with it, because whenever they had the cast of the movie somewhere people were going nuts. I was thinking I wanted to read it eventually and see what it was all about. I knew it was about vampires, but it didn't really bother me at all. It is fiction after all. I'm open to reading pretty much anything if someone says its good. I guess I knew it was a YA book, but I didn't really care. I'm 26, so I still kind of consider myself a young adult, and Harry Potter was YA but I thought that series was frickin awesome. So I was in an airport getting ready to board a flight and I wanted to buy a book and I saw Twilight and figured, cool, I've been meaning to read that. I was instantly obsessed. Every free second of that weekend was spent reading it. I would just sit there with a silly grin on my face the entire time.

I was almost done with it on Monday, and I was complaining to my fiance that I really needed to have the second book lined up when I was done with this one because I didn't think I could stand knowing there was more and not having it. Well my fiance was such a sweetheart, he ended up buying the book for me and giving it to me that night. I don't think he realized what he was getting himself into. I then couldn't put that book down, and when I wasn't reading, I was just gushing about the series the entire time. He was annoyed because I wasn't paying any attention to him and all I talked about was Twilight. That kind of upset me because I felt like I had found something I sincerely loved and I was mad that he didn't seem to respect that (we ended up not getting along very well while I was reading these books, but I think he was just being a baby).

Anyway, that didn't stop me from continuing to read nonstop. I bought Eclipse and Breaking Dawn at the same time as soon as I was finished with New Moon. It took me 2 weeks to finish all 4 books. I read in bed, at work when I was on lunch break, while driving (yes I know it is extremely dangerous and a stupid thing to do, but I couldn't help it - I just could not get enough), and all night when I would come home from work. I was literally obsessed, and still am. I agree with the person that said she wouldn't be surprised if the pages were laced with drugs...it was like I was addicted.

I can't even explain what it is about them - I just love them so much. I love all of the characters (Edward especially, of course). I think it's that excitement of first love. That obsessive feeling you get when you first fall in love with someone. I was able to relive that through these books. I'm currently reading Twilight for the second time, and I'm still smiling and giggling like a school girl the entire time I'm reading :P . It's really amazing how Stephenie was able to write such a fantastic story with the greatest characters that just seems to draw so many people in. I feel like nothing can get me down since I've read this series. I'm so glad I can come on here and be able to share it was so many other people that feel the same way. I'm trying to get some of my friends to read it so I can obsess over it with them. There are so many funny quotes and sayings that I always almost blurt out, when I realize "no one is going to know what the heck I'm talking about because they haven't read Twilight", LOL.

I really hope the moving does well, although I'm pretty sure it will. I think Twilight fever is far more widespead than anyone expects. But I need all of the books to come out as movies. That would just be so great. Although I'm just glad at least we'll have the Twilight movie if the other ones don't happen. I plan on buying the DVD immediately when it's available. Just so I can watch it over and over again and probably piss my fiance off more :lol: . Oh well, I can't blame him for being jealous of Edward Cullen, because Edward is just perfect!!

Well to wrap it up, these are my favorite books of all time, putting the Harry Potter series in second place for me! I look forward to reading more from Stephenie, though I don't know if anything else will be able to capture my heart like Twilight has. :)
Image Image
Bella...would you please stop trying to take your clothes off? :D
Tox
Settled in Forks

Post by Tox »

Twilight shouldn't have sequals, it did enough on its own. I didn't know there were gonna be more books after reading the first. I love vampire stories, and was a little disappointed at Meyer's vampires... But everyone is different. Meyer got a lot to learn and should probably have taken some writing classes and edited the story before selling it, but like any book it can't be perfect.
Guess what? I have a free mind 8D
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Tell us what you thought at first, where you interested in reading a YA book?, did you know it was about vampires? etc.

Ha! I loved it - Loved it - LOVED IT! I couldn't figure out how this book had slipped past me. I have always liked YA books. As a kid, a teen, and adult, I love YA books, so that wasn't a blip of my thought. I first read twilight starting in the middle of August 08... like 2 weeks after Breakig Dawn was released.

I work full time and ya know, have a little life. I read all 4 books in 19 days. and BOOM instant addiction. I missed a lot reading that fast, so I am reading it again. I missed a lot of the minor characters, who are so much better the 2nd time around. I love Jacob much more, I still don't like Sam and Charlie isn't a flat character anymore.

I have also always LOVED vampires. I loved the early reader (1st grade level) Bunnicula about a vampire bunny - so that just made the interest so much more. I couldn;t figure out how a YA vampire book (oh I mean series) got past me!!!

My best friends 15 year old daughter told me about it and my hairdresser was reading it.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!