What did you think of the Twilight Series?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
littlelamb
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: What did you think of the Twilight Series?

Post by littlelamb »

I have no qualms about reading any age level book. A good story is a good story no matter what age group it is aimed at. The thing I enjoy about this book is that it automatically transforms me into a teenage girl even though I left that bracket many a moon ago. When Bella's heart was breaking, I felt like it was my first heart ache all over again. Right before the breakup happened and Edward was being all weird I though, "oh boy this isn't good. I know what's coming next." I just love the whole series and I'm sure I will read it at least once a year just to remind myself how great it really is!
Edwardsspidermonkey
Settled in Forks

Post by Edwardsspidermonkey »

i really loved the twilight saga my sister was tortured me to read it, at first i couldn't understand what the big deal was and why she was acting so obsessed. So i stared reading twilight and i was pretty much like a zombi wondering when edward was gonna come for me that was until i started reading breaking dawn. The book for me was such an anticlimax and i though it was a waste of paper leading to the end of it. After Bella found out she was pregnant the story evolved in to just fiction for me. The characters didn't resemble the people i grow to love, even if i thought Jacob was annoying. i still loved him and him imprinting on Nessie just made everything twisted even more.
I kept reading because at least at the end i thought there was going to be battle with the Volturi. But even the ultimate battle they were building up for was such a let down for me i don't understand why SM would end it like that, with them talking over the problem. She just wrapped all the characters in ribbon and wanted everything to be perfect.
He looks at you like…like you’re something to eat -Mike

ana;
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ana; »

Twilight Series, is like a love/hate relationship for me.

I adore, adore Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse.
When I first started reading, I couldn't stop.. It's so emotional that I felt something was wrong with me, like seriously, i've never cried before for reading a book, never! New Moon was devastating..

Even though SMeyer doesn't have the fanciest writing ever, the books are just so catchy.
You can't help it, you just get addicted. I was impressed when I heard that my old Physics Teacher (Male) was reading it, and he's like the portray of macho.

Breaking Dawn broke my heart, I didn't liked it at all.
so it was hard for me having to end the series in such a terrible way.
for me the end is Eclipse, that way I don't have to get frustrated and angry with SMeyer for that terrible book.

But that's my opinion.
Celestial_Topaz
Wandering Through Town

Post by Celestial_Topaz »

I think it is absolutely amazing. =) I love the idea of a vampire romance at high school. ^_^
MzLovely31
Settled in Forks

Post by MzLovely31 »

I found Twilight by accident...and it has been truly an adventure. I was looking for a book to read to my students and I saw this cover on Amazon. I was like hmmm what is that so I read the info about and thought it sounded pretty good. Well, while I was shopping in Target for things that I did not need I saw it again. Those cold hands holding that apple.....so I bought it. At first I was afraid to read it...the vampires were going to be scary and this was a waste of money. Well, I took my mother to the doctor a few week later (yes I actually waited that long...I realize the error of my way now) and started to read it. After that Saturday, I have been hooked...I went back to Target and bought New Moon since I had read over 300+ pages of Twilight.

My twin just couldnt understand what was sooo good about this book till she started reading. Well, she is hooked and hasnt stopped reading since. Since my Twilight discovery, I have gotten atleast 10 more ppl to read this book. My student's parents and I text each other and talk about Twilight every morning. We all have our own theories about what should be written next.

Is it just us (me and my lovely parents) but does anyone else think that since she is not going to finish Edward's version of Twilight...why not write about Alice. And I say Alice because she has no HUMAN memories. What did she do when she learned or atleast figured out what the "old one" had made her. What kind of parents puts their daughter place like Alice was in. They tossed her aside and buried her without a second look back. I wanna learn about her and Jasper's relationship.

Our other theory is that Stephanie should write about the Cullens.....what their life was like before they go to Forks.

what do you think?
renesmeecarlie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by renesmeecarlie »

MzLovely31 wrote:I found Twilight by accident...and it has been truly an adventure. I was looking for a book to read to my students and I saw this cover on Amazon. I was like hmmm what is that so I read the info about and thought it sounded pretty good. Well, while I was shopping in Target for things that I did not need I saw it again. Those cold hands holding that apple.....so I bought it. At first I was afraid to read it...the vampires were going to be scary and this was a waste of money. Well, I took my mother to the doctor a few week later (yes I actually waited that long...I realize the error of my way now) and started to read it. After that Saturday, I have been hooked...I went back to Target and bought New Moon since I had read over 300+ pages of Twilight.

My twin just couldnt understand what was sooo good about this book till she started reading. Well, she is hooked and hasnt stopped reading since. Since my Twilight discovery, I have gotten atleast 10 more ppl to read this book. My student's parents and I text each other and talk about Twilight every morning. We all have our own theories about what should be written next.

Is it just us (me and my lovely parents) but does anyone else think that since she is not going to finish Edward's version of Twilight...why not write about Alice. And I say Alice because she has no HUMAN memories. What did she do when she learned or atleast figured out what the "old one" had made her. What kind of parents puts their daughter place like Alice was in. They tossed her aside and buried her without a second look back. I wanna learn about her and Jasper's relationship.

Our other theory is that Stephanie should write about the Cullens.....what their life was like before they go to Forks.

what do you think?
I agree...there are endless amounts of questions I have about the series and all of the characters' backgrounds...

That's why I am looking forward to guide so much though because I'm curious how many of those questions she will answer and how many things I will be left wondering--then I can only hope that she continues writing about these amazing characters!

"Amazing", he said, his exquisite voice full of wonder, slightly amused.
"Carlisle was right."
tnlentz
Settled in Forks

Post by tnlentz »

SM's Twilight Sage wasn't something that I would've picked up on my own. Truthfully I read The Host first. Since it was an okay book I really didn't go looking for anything else from Her.

Now I am a huge vampire/ghost/ghouls etc fan...I never missed Buffy or Angel and I'm hooked on True Blood, Charlene Harris and several other mystical being writers.

I was watching tv one night when the twilight trailer came on and commented that might be a good movie. My 12 daughter was surprised that I had never read the book. Heck I never heard of the book. So, like most know it all kids, she told me I would fall in LOVE with the saga. Alright, I gave it a chance. I purchased the book the day the movie came out and figured I better read it before I go see it. (I always recommend reading a book before going to see it in the movies.)

Anyhow, I read that book in one night. I couldn't believe how the characters we so "true to life". You could feel the struggle that Edward had and the almost unbearable selflessness that Bella had. The next day I bought the other three books. I finished them in in about 2 1/2 days. I hardly put the books down...made the family fend for themselves.

Twilight was an amazing and believeable story. I have to admit I think that having Edward leave Bella in New Moon was amazing. SM didn't fear letting on of her main characters "go" in order to develope the others. Many authors are wary of this but it was good to see that even thought she didn't do it in New Dawn she ventured out in New Moon. Eclipse was good to. The "Love" triangle that Stephanie follows in the series with edward, Bella and Jacob is realistic. I was a teenager once and I could relate to the break up and the triangle. Yet again cudo's on the believablity. Breaking Dawn wasn't what I expected but SM didn't falter and it turned out good.

I took my daughter to the movie and was really please that it didn't stray too far from the book. Which is great to see. I hope New Moon follows that.
xtinasaurusrex
Settled in Forks

Post by xtinasaurusrex »

The movie actually made me interested in the book. And my friend who dragged me to the movie had read the series and was so obsessed that I kind of had to try them.

The first place I even heard of twilight was facebook actually, lol. There were all these bumper stickers about "Edward" and "Team Edward/Jacob" and I had no idea what they meant so I googled it and found out about the series.. I had no interest until the movie though, and now im in love with them! But I've only read through Eclipse.. no Breaking Dawn until Christmas... :cry:
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

My friends kept going on and on about Edward and Jacob, constantly debating which on was better, one was Team Jacob the other Team Edward.

After a couple months i decided to see what the fuss was all about and borrowed twilight and new moon from the library, finished those in two days, went to reserve eclipse and breaking dawn and there was a looong waiting list, so i just thought F it i will buy all the books. Bought them read Twilight and New moon again then carried on to Eclipse and Breaking dawn.

Have re-read the countless of times and i am now a twilighterholic!
leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by leahroselover »

I'm going to be total honest with my feelings about Twilight and I hope you guys won't hate me for it.

I read Twilight in December of 2005. I thought it was okay. I am a hardcore horror/fantasy buff (Anne Rice ftw), so I was a little disappointed about the cuteification of Vampires by making them sparkle. However, I didn't hate it. I thought that the rest of the Cullen family were very interesting, especially Rose and I found the evil vamps to be very interesting.

While, I have read all the books, New Moon is what really made me lose it within the Twilight Series. I read the book about 2 years ago. Bella really annoyed me and her zombification about Edward also bothered me.

It bothered me because I had been in a relationship with a guy for 2 years. He was, at that time, my Edward. He was sweet, kind, charming, romantic, told me he loved me, etc. Then one day he just dumped me. He was cheating on me, lying to me and then as soon as he left me, he dated another girl.

The next day, I went to school, sad and crying, took my finals and passed them all. I was betrayed by the person I loved after 2 years for another woman and yet managed to wake up the next morning.

So when Bella lost a man she knew for less than a year and then went into this zombie state, I was very annoyed with her.

As, I continued on with the series I found Edward and Bella to be pretty much the perfect "true love couple" and I just couldn't get into it. Jacob was pushed in there to make a love triangle, but you could just tell her never had a chance. So I didn't even think Team Jacob had a chance.

I hated the treatment of Leah throughout the books and how she was being called bitter, for morning and dealing with her pain the way she did. Considering she lost more than almost any other character, I think that SMeyer didn't try to give her any slack.

Overall, I am not a fan of the Twilight series in terms of a romance or fantasy book, although I do see it's appeal and do like certain aspects of the book. I feel its a very simple and easy read that you can just flow with.

I do, however, feel that SMeyer has some of the most interesting secondary characters, although they are a tad flat. Leah, Rose, the Volturi, Bella's Human Friends, etc...

That's me, I hope we can discuss these things civilly. :)

Have a nice day/evening. :geek:
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic