General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
renesmeecarlie
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Carlisle and Esme

Post by renesmeecarlie »

Gi.Kodaly wrote:How do you think that Esme feels about Carlisle's work?
I just had to ask this because I've seen a lot of fanfics that Carlisle's work gets in the way of the relationship because he puts his job first or it just makes him have less time for her. And I had never thought that about him, but after reading those I've realized that he does work a lot and maybe Esme gets upset about it. What do you guys think?
I definitely don't think that Esme has a problem with how much Carlisle works--that's the greatest part about being vampires, they don't sleep so they have endless amounts of time for each other...also, because Carlisle is such a well-respected doctor, he doesn't have to work the endless amount of hours like interns or first year residents--I think they make plenty of time for each other (I mean how much is Carlisle at home when things are going on in the book? Definitely most of the time)--I adore Esme and Carlisle together- I think they compliment each other pefectly and are exactly what the other is looking for in a mate :D

"Amazing", he said, his exquisite voice full of wonder, slightly amused.
"Carlisle was right."
jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by jonsgirljen »

renesmeecarlie wrote:
I just had to ask this because I've seen a lot of fanfics that Carlisle's work gets in the way of the relationship because he puts his job first or it just makes him have less time for her. And I had never thought that about him, but after reading those I've realized that he does work a lot and maybe Esme gets upset about it. What do you guys think?
I definitely don't think that Esme has a problem with how much Carlisle works--that's the greatest part about being vampires, they don't sleep so they have endless amounts of time for each other...also, because Carlisle is such a well-respected doctor, he doesn't have to work the endless amount of hours like interns or first year residents--I think they make plenty of time for each other (I mean how much is Carlisle at home when things are going on in the book? Definitely most of the time)--I adore Esme and Carlisle together- I think they compliment each other pefectly and are exactly what the other is looking for in a mate :D
I totally agree. I don't think that Carlisle's work would get in the way at all, like already stated, vampires don't sleep. They would be able to have time devoted to each other. I think that's what makes their relationship so strong, they make time for each other. They have a wonderful, loving relationship, and I don't think that anything could get in the way of their love for each other.
Movielover22
Settled in Forks

Post by Movielover22 »

I think it's interesting how it seems as if being the "parents" of the family has actually made their relationship stronger, unlike how it is with many couples in today's day and age. The way they come together to lead the family and hold everything together seems to make them even more perfect for each other.

Another thing I really like was in Midnight Sun, Edward talked about the way Carlisle and Esme and how even after all these years, they still look at each other with the eyes of first love, which may seem like just a sweet little tidbit, but I think it goes a lot deeper than that. Not only is their relationship this solid rock, ever-constant, ever-passionate, but it seems as if it's still almost a novelty to them. They can still look at each other like young lovers with that awe that "this person is really mine." When I read that, all I could think in my head was how I hope that I am still like that with whomever I marry when I am old and wrinkly, that I can still look at that person and feel truly blessed and amazed that he would love me.

It's definitely interesting to see the combination of those two things in their relationship. The solidity of it, the foundation of the home and family, and also the passionate love they have for each other that never fades. It's actually very inspiring.
"You held out your hand, and I took it without stopping to make sense of what I was doing. For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope." ~ Jasper Hale
english rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by english rose »

.[/quote]
Movielover22 wrote:Another thing I really like was in Midnight Sun, Edward talked about the way Carlisle and Esme and how even after all these years, they still look at each other with the eyes of first love, which may seem like just a sweet little tidbit, but I think it goes a lot deeper than that. Not only is their relationship this solid rock, ever-constant, ever-passionate, but it seems as if it's still almost a novelty to them. They can still look at each other like young lovers with that awe that "this person is really mine."

i like that idea to but it made me think. just before edward says this he says that when such a change happens in a vampire its permanent. do you think its still real love if they cant physically undo it and also does the relationship develope if they still look at there love in the same way they do at the beginning! help me! i cant get the stupid idea that this fact lessens all the vampire relationships and i really need someone to convince me otherwise! maybe a vampire can only fall in love with their true match and thats how it works.

rose x
"now you know, no one's ever loved anyone as much as i love you"
"i know of just one exception"
"liar"
And then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever

team edward all the way!
ReneeJ
Settled in Forks

Post by ReneeJ »

OK, I'll take a stab at it. I think Stephanie is going deeper with this series than most are aware, and what you have in the vampire relationships is the ideal. Not the ideal in our world, but the ideal in the Biblical sense. The vamp romances are perfect, the way marriage was intended to be a perfect and permanent state before Eve tempted Adam with the apple. It's all about the two becoming one flesh and being so in harmony that there is and never can be any conflict between them, yet each partner retains their own individuality and uniqueness. Their relationships never lose their beauty and wonder and yet they are permanent and emotionally stable from day one.
Movielover22
Settled in Forks

Post by Movielover22 »

english rose wrote:.i like that idea to but it made me think. just before edward says this he says that when such a change happens in a vampire its permanent. do you think its still real love if they cant physically undo it and also does the relationship develope if they still look at there love in the same way they do at the beginning! help me! i cant get the stupid idea that this fact lessens all the vampire relationships and i really need someone to convince me otherwise! maybe a vampire can only fall in love with their true match and thats how it works.
If you're looking at it like this then you have to compare it to Edward and Bella. The way Edward feels about Bella is that permanent change right from the beginning. He loves her in that same powerful way, and yet you watch through the books how his relationship with Bella does continue to grow. I don't view it as something they can't undo and are bound to like it's not a matter of their own choice, I see it more as it affects them so strongly when they feel an emotion like that, why would they ever want to go back to how it was before? It is definitely still real love, I think what is meant by that is that it is so strong a love that they could never, would never be the same again, the strength of it I guess you could say knocks them off the course they were on, onto a whole new course of their lives.
"You held out your hand, and I took it without stopping to make sense of what I was doing. For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope." ~ Jasper Hale
english rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by english rose »

i think your right, i think a vampire could only fall in love with such a strong emotion if it was true love and real and thats why its permanent because theyv found a soulmate. i think when you see all the couples like carlise and esme, edward and bella, jasper ad alice and even rosalie and emmett you can see that ther all got deep connections and are really well suited which i suppose shows that they dont just fall in love with anyone its got to be true love to alter them permanently
"now you know, no one's ever loved anyone as much as i love you"
"i know of just one exception"
"liar"
And then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever

team edward all the way!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

This is my first visit to the Carlisle & Esme thread, so let me introduce myself. My name is Jazz Girl. I happen to believe that Carlisl and Esme have such a wonderful and grounded love for each other. They are both such compassionate and loving individuals, how could their love fail to be anything but fantastic. Anyway, I thought I would weigh in on Gi.Kodaly's thought. I think, on the contrary, Esme would be most supportive of Carlisle in his dedication to his work. Esme understands first hand the satisfaction and joy Carlisle gets from what he is able to do as a doctor. And, she has seen first hand the good he can do in so many situations. She, too, would understand his need for...I don't know if penance is the right word...for his existence. I think the only member of the family who takes his nature more to heart than Edward is Carlisle. Despite his spotless record, I can see in his nature trying to even the scales for all the ills caused by others of his kind. As his soulmate, she would understand all of this, support him in all of it. And, as others have pointed out, it is hard to begrudge someone a little time when you have an unlimited supply of it.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

One of the main things I think to make a relationship to work is selflessness. You need to be willing to give things up for the other. I think that Esme shows this wonderfully because she understands that being able to heal people makes Carlisle content.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com