General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
heartscreams
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Jacob and Edward's relationship

Post by heartscreams »

i don't think Edward called Jacob 'my son' because of the probability of Jacob getting married to Renesmee in the future. Edward called him that because he saw how close Jacob was with Renesmee, that strong bond they have, that they both look like sibilings? so maybe that's why he called Jacob his son.

my theory could make sense. i mean, yea, Jacob and Renesemee COULD get married in the future, but Edward didn't see that way, yet.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I'm remembering that by Christmastime Bella was convinced that though the Cullen family was on the brink of destruction there was a good chance that Renesmee and Jacob would survive. Bella mentioned: "On [Renesmee's] wrist was an intricately braided Quileute version of a promise ring. Edward gritted his teeth over that one, but it didn't bother me. Soon, so soon, I would be giving her to Jacob for safe-keeping. How could I be bothered by any symbol of the commitment I was so relying on?"

This commitment is what Edward was referring to when he placed Renesmee on Jacob's back, placing her in Jacob's care. As I think about it I can see your point that Edward might have been looking at the situation as a big brother taking charge of his little sister. In that context it would make perfect sense for Edward to refer to Jacob as "son."
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
MajorKlutz
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MajorKlutz »

When Edward came back I knew something was going to happen in Eclipse. The fact that they fought together for Bella was extremely nice and I would've appreciated that. In Eclipse you kind of get to see Edward become REALLY overprotective and then he sees that it hurts Bella so he realizes he should back up a little bit. I was glad that Edward was able to become better friends with him in Breaking Dawn because if that relationship wasn't fixed by the end of Breaking Dawn I was going to write a next book and make it so they did. :D Not really much more to say...
I love my men cold, dead, and sparkling!!!! (*sparkle, sparkle*)
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i like jacob and edward's relationship now, definitely.

however, i did not like the use of the word "son". don't get me wrong, i LOVED what it symbolized, which SM said was that he realized jacob would be a part of nessie's life no matter what, accepted it, and was ok with it. just the word choice bugs me.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

What do you think Edward could have said instead to convey what he was feeling?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

ha, i'm not sure. it just bothered me. but i don't think edward SHOULD feel fatherly toward's jacob. i get what he meant though, and it wasn't that edward felt like a father to jake. i actually was reading SM's q&a sessions and she was asked about that, and she said that he just meant that he accepted what was going to eventually happen between jake and nessie. she said the line surprised her too.

i think it would have been fine to keep it at "my friend, my brother" or something like, "my family in all ways". that sounds stupid. gah.

blackpanthershay
Settled in Forks

Post by blackpanthershay »

Oh my goodness
He did not almost date rape her
It annoys me to no end when I see things like that being said
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

mmm i know. i know. one of the worst is when people say that jacob assaulted bella. i tend to flip.

leahlovetwilight
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by leahlovetwilight »

im glad theyre friends now!
"when i got home,all my things were in the garage."-edward cullen
he's probably thinking,love sick morons
heartscreams
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by heartscreams »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:ha, i'm not sure. it just bothered me. but i don't think edward SHOULD feel fatherly toward's jacob. i get what he meant though, and it wasn't that edward felt like a father to jake. i actually was reading SM's q&a sessions and she was asked about that, and she said that he just meant that he accepted what was going to eventually happen between jake and nessie. she said the line surprised her too.

i think it would have been fine to keep it at "my friend, my brother" or something like, "my family in all ways". that sounds stupid. gah.
may i ask which q&a session was that? because i've been trying to find SM's explanation on things like this one.