General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
loltanyasmynametoo
Wandering Through Town

Re: Vampire Special Talents

Post by loltanyasmynametoo »

did anyone else find it a little, i guess annoying that a bunch of the vampires had all these talents? I mean, i know it said in one of the PC's that a good percentage of vampires are talented, but i just thought it was kitzchey that Eleazar could sense other people's talents. I think bella could have found out in another way and the story would have been just as smooth.
Murray:"He's like the Pied Piper of cool. Pied Piper was cool wasn't he?"
Bret: "Pied Piper wasn't cool, he took all those kids into a cave."
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

loltanyasmynametoo wrote:did anyone else find it a little, i guess annoying that a bunch of the vampires had all these talents? I mean, i know it said in one of the PC's that a good percentage of vampires are talented, but i just thought it was kitzchey that Eleazar could sense other people's talents. I think bella could have found out in another way and the story would have been just as smooth.
I think that might have been cooler if Bella had found out a different way. It was just too easy with Eleazar being able to sense her powers. Part of me did kinda wish that it after all these vampires with mental talents not being able to hurt her, either Carlisle or Edward realized that she had this power.

I figured that there were more vampires out there than the book presented that I never really thought about all the special vampires. It really hasn't been long enough for it to annoy me. This is what happens when you start reading the books twenty days before the movie come out.
Ichigo Kitty
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Ichigo Kitty »

loltanyasmynametoo wrote:did anyone else find it a little, i guess annoying that a bunch of the vampires had all these talents? I mean, i know it said in one of the PC's that a good percentage of vampires are talented, but i just thought it was kitzchey that Eleazar could sense other people's talents. I think bella could have found out in another way and the story would have been just as smooth.
But how would other people know Bella had a power if nobody sensed that she had one?
Ice and Fire co-existing together without destroying each other...

~ E<3B
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I love the fact that the vampires have 'talents'. It sets them apart even more from the humans... gives them another... edge.
But I also like the fact that some of them don't. While the talents set them apart from humans, they also make vamps just like us. Some people are good at things, have hobbies... and some people don't, you know. The vampires that have no powers are more human, but so far from that, still...you know? Maybe not... I don't know how much sense I make to other people.

Ben's talent intrigued me from the moment I read about it.
I'll admit, I'm a HUGE Avatar fan, so the idea of manipulating the elements always interested me. I'd never even begun to imagine that a vampire could do something like this, though. I guess that at first, I thought the vampires could only do things that were mental... but I thought about all the times that Alice and Edward described that some talents are physical and some mental. I wondered how Ben found out about his gift and how he learned to control it. The bending of the elements is huge and one of a kind, I'm sure... I wonder how long it took him to be in complete control over it. Or maybe it's not like that at all? Maybe it was just natural to him and he didn't have to practice, unlike Bella's shield?
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
edwardisperfection
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by edwardisperfection »

If I was able to have one.. no wait two.. alright threee talents they would be:
Ben's : controlling of the elements
Alice: seeing the future
Zafrina's: putting images into people's heads.

I don't know why but those three just really have an appeal to me.
I loved BD when we were discovering everyones powers, it was awesome. I love the chapters with all the different vampires.

Also to the girl up there ^^^
I LOVEEEE Flight Of The Conchords. I don't know where youre from but I just have to say they are freaking hilarious.
TeamEdward
Bringing sexyback since 1901.
"So the lion fell in love with the lamb."
"What a lucky lamb."
Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

edwardisperfection wrote:If I was able to have one.. no wait two.. alright threee talents they would be:
Ben's : controlling of the elements
Alice: seeing the future
Zafrina's: putting images into people's heads.

I don't know why but those three just really have an appeal to me.
I loved BD when we were discovering everyones powers, it was awesome. I love the chapters with all the different vampires.

Also to the girl up there ^^^
I LOVEEEE Flight Of The Conchords. I don't know where youre from but I just have to say they are freaking hilarious.
I would like Edward's and to hear what people think, but it might get overwhelming hearing everything all the time and not being able to shut it off. So maybe I will take Aro's... hmmm. Either way it would be fun. I like Alice's too! :D
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
Volterrian
Wandering Through Town

Post by Volterrian »

If I was turned into a Vampire and had a special ability like Edward and those. I would want the ability to manipulate the mind. That is just vague enough to allow for a lot of possibilities which includes reading thoughts and inducing thoughts (Making others hear yours)

Or the ability to create a collective like the wolf's pack mind. Allowing those around me to hear my thoughts and me theres, as well as see through their eyes, and get their senses which would make a fight much easier since you would have many more points of view to judge attacks and such. Also if they could share pain it would be a good weapon.
(I mean imagine linking your mind to all the volturi and then jane does her thing on her, she would end up burning her friends to)
R.I.P - Jacob Black [Died August 2nd, 2008](Page 360, Book 2, Breaking Dawn)
lion<3lamb
Settled in Forks

Post by lion<3lamb »

vegasn8ive wrote:Reading the first three books made it seem as though most vampires had no special talent and the ones with gifts were definitely the minority (most of them sought out by Aro and part of the Volturi with the exception of the Cullens). I was a little disappointed when just about everyone we met during the book had a talent. Maybe that's just because Carlisle has a way of befriending talented vampires but it did seem a little strange to me.
Actually, as stephenie explained in a Q & A session i found, the reason such a majority of the vampire community have special talents are because vampires have a very "shallow" view on the humans they are going to change. They are drawn to people who are special...above the rest. Think of it like a shallow man in a bar, hes not going to buy every girl a drink..he's drawn to the most attractive. I belive stephenie actually said something like well over half of the vampire population have a special talent.
Fanpire

Post by Fanpire »

Edward-Mind reading - I know that his power is handy but I still wouldn't want it....I mean really...I don't want to think what my enemies think about me and it must be so noooot cool when....well...someone you know...has kinda dirty thoughts....and it must be even more disturbing if they are bout you or your friend or someone....
Alice-psychic - It might be handy but I dunno...I don't think I would use it that much..ya know?
Jasper-can change emotions -THAT might come handy more than Alice's power but still....I dunno....it must be horrible....I think...if someone's in pain...or if they feel like totally hyper like me right now after seeing the movie aand you are in a situation where ...well...let's say someone dies..or somethink and you start to be really hyper...that would be soooooooooo ugh :lol:
Bella-Shield (mental) - Hmmm...yeah....cool when it comes to battles and Edward but if u don't have Edward and no battles than....yeah :? :lol:
Renesme-Show people her thoughts - I like it....might be cool:]
Eleazar- Sense others power - yeh...i dunno....it's not that it's not cool but you can't really use it ya know...that much
Kate- electricity flows over her skin -oooh I love her power..
Maggie- senes lies - THAT is cool! Totally cool...I mean that would be sooo handy to me right now :)
Siobhan-makes people feel a certain way - hmph;D
Alistair-tracker - ya ya....nah :lol:
Charles-senses lies -like Maggie :]
Zafrina- can show people images or take away their sight - I love that one
Ben-controls the elements -aaaaaaaaaaaah....give to me....now...yeah :lol:
Jane-gives the sensation of being on fire -coolio....but not really usable in 'normal' life
Alec-takes away all senses - same as Jane
Renata-Shield (physical) - yeaaa...might be handyyy
Marcus- sesnes bonds - naah....wouldn't want that...what if ur boyfriend cheats :lol:
Chelsea- senses and breaks bonds -like it but wouldn't want it
Aro-reads minds through touch -nice one
Demetri-Tracker - hmph :twisted: :lol:
iamthevampiregirl
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by iamthevampiregirl »

If I had a vampire talent, I'd want Edward's but I'd want to be able to block out some people - so if I wanted complete quiet - I'd get it. Then, I'd want Alice's visons because it's such an advantage! (well, any talent at all would be a huge advantage) but seeing the futur seems so cool!!