Vampire Special Talents

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Re: Vampire Special Talents

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Hey guys I asked this a while back on another thread, might as well put it here since it has to do with talents.

How does Maggie get the notion she's being lied to? How is she told?
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

This is a guess based on game systems I've read. Perhaps as she hears the lie being told, it sounds off to her. For example, perhaps the speaker's voice suddenly shoots up an octave. But this would only be detectable by Maggie- everyone else will hear the speaker normally.
NZTwilighter
Settled in Forks

Post by NZTwilighter »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Hey guys I asked this a while back on another thread, might as well put it here since it has to do with talents.

How does Maggie get the notion she's being lied to? How is she told?

I think what ringswraith said sounds very likely however when i first read about Maggie i figured it was just an inuitive (spelling?) feeling she would get, kinda like a bad vibe, she would just know she was being lied to.
I enjoy the cold, diamonds and hearthrobs.
Team Edward.
aka_tennyo
Settled in Forks

Post by aka_tennyo »

How can some of these 'special talents' be derived from something they had when they were human. For sure, if they had a kind of psychic ability in the first case, it would continue through, but other abilities? Not necessarily able to work. A lot of these abilities would just be natural instincts, such as just knowing if someone was lying or able to understand what they may be thinking.

However, does development of a special talent mean that immediately you have to turn to this wonderful power and not do any of the thinking for yourself anymore? Even if you cant control it properly, what's to say you can't for instance influence a room of people to inspiration without using your powers, or guess what's on Bella's mind without reading/hearing it? What's with that?

There's more than one way of using an ability. One is the actual use of it to gain information or control. Another use is the actual use of the brain, of the mind, using what you did in your former life that made you develop this ability as a vampire. You don't always need to be able to see the future to predict the future either, even as Alice already had the power of precognition.
Team Switzerland

[On the day of the release of Breaking Dawn.]
Teacher: "So did anyone buy that book ... by that person ... who wrote the other books?"
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

I'm not sure what you're asking, aka_tennyo.

Regarding "turning on" these powers- as Edward tells Emmett in Midnight Sun, it doesn't "turn off." It depends on the power: Edward's and Alice's are always on (though they can suppress it a little if they want to), while others like Jane's and Alec's are activated (i.e., they have to concentrate to use it).

But just because you have a power, it doesn't mean you don't have to think for yourself anymore. Take Edward- he can hear people's thoughts, but that's all it is. He still has to sift through them for information he needs (calling out MS again here, the Port Angeles scene) and he still has to think about a course of action. It's like giving out a survey and filtering the answers to get the data you need.

Alice sees visions but she still has to figure out what they mean. For example, in Twilight, when she sees the ballet studio- she doesn't even know it's a ballet studio until Bella tells her.

You also have to consider that vampires (at least, in Stephenie Meyer's universe) think differently than we do. They can think about a lot of things, all at the same time, so there is definitely some thinking going on all the time.

They also still use their natural "abilities" (i.e., not superpowers). Witness Edward trying to figure Bella out without being able to read her mind- he actually has to decipher her personality, and though he feels handicapped by his inability to read her, he does a pretty good job. :)
Lightwish
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Lightwish »

Does Carlisle have ANY talents at all? I dont recall reading anything about Carlisle, Esme or Rosalie having any talents at all. Anyone know otherwise?
I am a faithfull Twi-Guy!
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

If by "talents" you mean abilities like Edward's mind-reading, then no. Though Carlisle did spend about 200 years getting over the temptation of human blood- that's practically an ability right there.
Lightwish
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Lightwish »

ringswraith wrote:If by "talents" you mean abilities like Edward's mind-reading, then no. Though Carlisle did spend about 200 years getting over the temptation of human blood- that's practically an ability right there.
I think of that as more of conditioning than a talent per se'. Whats the possibility that:

1. Carlisle, Esme and Rose all have talents but they just werent written about?

OR

2. That their talents lay dormant and just havent manifested themselves as of yet? I realize since Carlisle is 300 years old the chance of him having a talent yet to be discovered is rather slim, but maybe in the others?
I am a faithfull Twi-Guy!
~*teamswitzerland*~
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ~*teamswitzerland*~ »

Lightwish wrote:
ringswraith wrote:If by "talents" you mean abilities like Edward's mind-reading, then no. Though Carlisle did spend about 200 years getting over the temptation of human blood- that's practically an ability right there.
I think of that as more of conditioning than a talent per se'. Whats the possibility that:

1. Carlisle, Esme and Rose all have talents but they just werent written about?

OR

2. That their talents lay dormant and just havent manifested themselves as of yet? I realize since Carlisle is 300 years old the chance of him having a talent yet to be discovered is rather slim, but maybe in the others?
I don't think so. Firstly, in the vampire index, there is a star next to the names of all vampires who definitely have powers, and their names aren't starred. It is actually rare for a vampire to have a power (a lot of those stars are just trackers; tracking is, for some reason that is beyond me, considered a power). I think that they just weren't born one of those rare vampires who had a power. All of the vampires who do have a power, they had it from Day 1 (of vampirism), even if they didn't realize it, but you would think by now they would have realized if Carlisle, Esme, or Rosalie had a power.
Taylor Lautner. (drool.) That is all. :)
NZTwilighter
Settled in Forks

Post by NZTwilighter »

Thats what makes Edward, Alice and Jasper and in the end Bella so special and stand out from the others.
If all the Cullens had special talents it would be abit of an over kill.

They all have their own special characteristics that defines them from someone else and marks their part in the books, i think that is probably enough for most characters. :D
I enjoy the cold, diamonds and hearthrobs.
Team Edward.