General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Charlie's Response

Post by darkrider »

chrissaay wrote:yeah i don't really get it either. i suppose i see how he only wants to know as little as possible.. but come on. a little more reaction could have come out of it.
I completely agree! I mean she's your daughter? Won't you want to know who she's married to or who her best friend is? Wouldn't you care? IDK! lol
But his reaction was still great, I'm glad it didn't change much about the story other than knock down an obstacle.

-Dark(meteor's twin)
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
tricia
Learning to Love Green

Post by tricia »

I have 2 daughters. The second i heard one was sick and at the CDC i wouldn't have called carlisle and esme, i would have called the CDC and then flown to Atlanta to find out what was going on with my daughter. I would have wanted the info first hand, not second hand even if Carlisle is a doctor.

Then when i SAW her and FELT her and knew that something was different. I would NEED to know and wouldn't have stopped till i found out what happened.

The mom need to protect your kids doesn't have an age limit and it doesn't matter if she is married or not, she is still your daughter.
"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways.
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

At first I thought his reaction was weird, for a parent at least. I mean, his only daughter practically vanished without a word (while pregnant with Renesmee), and then he sees Jacob phasing. And it was also a bit off when Stephenie wrote that Bella kept in touch with her parents only by phone, because Renee's character would assume that there's something terribly wrong going on!
At the moment when Charlie saw Renesmee for the first time, I was overwhelmed that he didn't ask too many questions, considering the burden Bella had on her back, because neither of the Cullens knew what Renesmee exactly is!
jazjade
Wandering Through Town

Post by jazjade »

tricia wrote:I have 2 daughters. The second i heard one was sick and at the CDC i wouldn't have called carlisle and esme, i would have called the CDC and then flown to Atlanta to find out what was going on with my daughter. I would have wanted the info first hand, not second hand even if Carlisle is a doctor.

Then when i SAW her and FELT her and knew that something was different. I would NEED to know and wouldn't have stopped till i found out what happened.

The mom need to protect your kids doesn't have an age limit and it doesn't matter if she is married or not, she is still your daughter.
I agree with you on this. Charlie was a bit abstract and passive about Bella's condition, not the way I would act, for sure. Earlier I argued FOR Charlie's response, as a good thing, and, in the context of the fiction, I still think so. It would be very complicated if he did what you suggest. I continue to wonder how much of the magic he is clued in to, and how much Sue reveals to him over time in the last part of the book.
Aubrey Carlson
Settled in Forks

Post by Aubrey Carlson »

I only have two words for Charlie's reaction: Not normal.

I don't really know who would act that way. It s*** out of me. But I guess it was easier for Stephenie to write him that way, so Bella wouldn't have to worry about that. One problem less
Is this Clarice? Oh, hello Clarice.... I've been in state of hibernation for too long, I need some action, Clarice...
sarah-belle
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by sarah-belle »

I thought his response was completely unrealistic. I mean come on, what parent in their right mind is going to be all, "Oh okay, let me just look pass the fact that my daughter and her in-laws are clearly not human, she just had a baby at an alarmingly fast rate, and her best friend just exploded into a wolf right before my very eyes!" Um, no. Give me a break.
Image Image
Are we wasting time or is it wasting us?
Nadia
Settled in Forks

Post by Nadia »

I think that in the end Charlie would have figured it out but i wasn't surprised that he was on a need to know bases.........i was excited for Bella that she didn't lose at least one part of her human family and Renesme got a grandfather
tricia
Learning to Love Green

Post by tricia »

jazjade wrote:
tricia wrote:I have 2 daughters. The second i heard one was sick and at the CDC i wouldn't have called carlisle and esme, i would have called the CDC and then flown to Atlanta to find out what was going on with my daughter. I would have wanted the info first hand, not second hand even if Carlisle is a doctor.

I agree with you on this. Charlie was a bit abstract and passive about Bella's condition, not the way I would act, for sure. Earlier I argued FOR Charlie's response, as a good thing, and, in the context of the fiction, I still think so. It would be very complicated if he did what you suggest. I continue to wonder how much of the magic he is clued in to, and how much Sue reveals to him over time in the last part of the book.
I agree with you, i don't think a normal parent response would have worked for the book... however i'm still not sure i'm okay with that. I would have liked to have seen Charlie fight a bit more for his daughter when he thinks she is on death's door step with some real disease that is so bad the CDC has to get involved.
"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways.
heartscreams
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by heartscreams »

i agree with most of you, that Charlie's response was quite wrong. he shouldn't be so calm about it. okay, even if he just need-to-know, he should at least be a little bit angry at Bella, or Edward! like how he reacted when Edward told him about the plane tickets that Esme had given Bella for her 18th birthday. even if Jacob had prepared him, he should at least screamed something to Bella. that's just only right reaction from a parent!

but then again, he couldn't have done anything. Bella is married to Edward, so he sees her as an adult now. plus, what some of you have mentioned about the time he told Bella like he would lose her anytime soon in Eclipse, maybe he did know something was going on, something extraordinary. but he didn't wanna get too much involved, because he's those simple-minded people who wants to know less. and because he trusts Bella so much, he didn't want to question her.

so i have just cleared my own question on Charlie's reaction. haha! but i'm still not that satisfied with his reaction, and i'm not gonna let it bother me. for now, at least.
AliceLauren
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by AliceLauren »

I thought that as Bella's dad, he would want to know everything. I was surprised that he didn't want to know everything. But I am still unsure about what he thinks that Bella actually is.