General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
be my escape
Totally Inside Jacob's Mind

Children of the Moon vs Shape Shifters

Post by be my escape »

We have learned that while the Quiluetes appeared to be werewolves, they were actually shapeshifters. They chose the form of the wolf but they are not controlled by the moon like real werewolves.

Discuss your thoughts on this new information here.
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Children of the Moon vs Shape Shifters

Post by jenni_elyse »

The thing I love about Stephenie is her foreshadowing. She foreshadows very well. For example, now knowing that the wolves are actually shape shifters, I can see the foreshadowing better as I reread New Moon.

On page 152, Sam enters Bella's nightmares and she describes the following:
...I'd stared at [Sam] as often as my frantic searching had allowed; it made me uncomfortable, under all the usual panic, to have him there. Maybe that was because, when I didn't look directly at him, his shape seemed to shiver and change in my peripheral vision....
I know this is talking more about finding out about the wolves themselves, but I think Stephenie chose her words carefully here to allude to the shape shifter fact.

Also, on page 387 of New Moon, when Alice and Bella are reunited, the following exchange happens:
"See, well, he's...sort of a werewolf," I admitted in a rush. 'The Quileutes turn into wolves when there are vampires around. They know Carlisle from a long time ago. Were you with Carlisle back then?'

Alice gawked at me for a moment, and then recovered herself, blinking rapidly. "Well, I guess that explains the smell," she muttered. "But does it explain what I didn't see?" She frowned, her porcelain forehead creasing.

"The smell?" I repeated.

"You smell awful," she said absently, still frowning. "A werewolf? Are you sure about that?"
Alice didn't think Jake was a werewolf. I'm guessing she can "see" the Children of the Moon, or that they smell differently. But, she decides to not say anything because of what they and Bella believe.

I guess that's what I loved about Breaking Dawn so much is being able to go back and see all of these foreshadows more clearly.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
love2dream
Settled in Forks

Post by love2dream »

What I don't know, and I have read it several times, is if this is news to Jacob. Does he know that their are Children of the Moon--real Hollywood werewolves--out there or is he just as surprised by this information. If he did know, why did he never explain this fully to Bella? Was it easier to just go with the werewolf explanation? Granted the middle of a tense battlefield isn't the time to discuss this, but I still wonder. Why did they chose a wolf form? Why are they HUGE wolves not normal sized? Who chose the wolf form--the first ancestor to change or was it that the Quileutes just revere the wolf so much (they really do in real life!) that there really wasn't another option?
Will I ever find out the answers to my questions?? Hahaha... Anyone have any thoughts?
FIND BELLA'S DRESS click here----->http://www.geocities.com/belladress
hayweh
Settled in Forks

Post by hayweh »

I think that they chose wolf form simply because that was the closet amimal to Taha Akhi (was that his name?) when his spirit was forced out of his body. it probably also had something to do with the wolf being willing to share his body with Taha Akhi's spririt.

Technically, if their shapeshifters and not children of the moon, couldn't they become any form that they wanted? I'm sure they'd have to try really hard & concentrate. Maybe they'd have to figure out how to do the astral projection thing that the Quilieutes did before assuming wolf form. What do you guys think?
BeautifulVeins
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by BeautifulVeins »

hayweh wrote:I think that they chose wolf form simply because that was the closet amimal to Taha Akhi (was that his name?) when his spirit was forced out of his body. it probably also had something to do with the wolf being willing to share his body with Taha Akhi's spririt.
I agree. It definately has to do with the ancestors. I don't think that the wolves would be able to figure out how to 'shift' into other animals because the ability to shift has changed and developed so much from the time of the spirit warriors to modern day, and to change this, they would have to reverse some steps of the natural process....I don't think it would be possible.

I don't think that Jacob or even the Cullens knew about the children of the moon- if either of them knew, why didn't they tell Bella? But then again why would they? I'm not sure if it just didn't ever come up, or the Cullen's were just as oblivious. Although, Edward would have seen them in Victoria's memory while he was fighting her because she thought Seth was one.
I think its possible they didn't know about the children of the moon seeing that none of the Vampire world (apart from the cullens) were aware of the Quiluetes.
"I was thinking, while I was running..."
"About not hitting the trees I hope."
Pixie
Settled in Forks

Post by Pixie »

I didn't see this as new information. The legends chapter in Eclipse explained they were shape shifters - plus there where hints throughout the series, that suggested there was another form of werewolves.
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AgentCross »

I think that the Quileuetes would have no problem destroying a werewolf or two. A real werewolf might be stronger, but it would seem they are also out of control and a slave to their instincts.. much like a newborn Vampire.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

If SM does another book, i think she should introduce the CHildren of the Moon, and also give more insight on the whole shape-shifting thing. Like why do they grow so much before they shape-shift? WHat if they could turn into other things like birds or something.
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

shape-shifter wrote:If SM does another book, i think she should introduce the CHildren of the Moon, and also give more insight on the whole shape-shifting thing. Like why do they grow so much before they shape-shift? WHat if they could turn into other things like birds or something.
I actually think that's one of the reasons Stephenie separated the shape shifters from the Children of the Moon. Otherwise, she would've just let it be. She said at a couple of the concerts that when (or if) she comes back to the Twilight universe, it'll probably be written from Renesmee's or Leah's point of view. I can see both of them having to deal with real werewolves since their life revolves around the packs.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by museicalking »

the shapeshifter was like a slap in the face, we were lead onto werewolves, then BOOM, "no, they're SHAPESHIFTERS!" but i dont know why...

and alice cant see both them or renesmee. shapeshifters are caught between both an animal and human, and renesmee is caught between a vampire and human, she can only see definite things!!!!! it makes sense!!!!!! :o
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3