General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Children of the Moon vs Shape Shifters

Post by AgentCross »

museicalking wrote:the shapeshifter was like a slap in the face, we were lead onto werewolves, then BOOM, "no, they're SHAPESHIFTERS!" but i dont know why...

and alice cant see both them or renesmee. shapeshifters are caught between both an animal and human, and renesmee is caught between a vampire and human, she can only see definite things!!!!! it makes sense!!!!!! :o
It was clear they were shape shifters since Eclipse in the Legends Chapter. Alice can't See Renesmee or the Shape Shifters because she has neither been a Shape Shifter nor a Hybrid... but she can see Humans because she was one and she can see Vampires clearly because she is one.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
Bianca
Settled in Forks

Post by Bianca »

now we know what Edward was talking about when he told Victoria in Eclipse that Seth was not the same thing she has seen in Siberia!!!
Pixie
Settled in Forks

Post by Pixie »

museicalking wrote:the shapeshifter was like a slap in the face, we were lead onto werewolves, then BOOM, "no, they're SHAPESHIFTERS!" but i dont know why...:o
I disagree - In the Legends chapter it is explained that they are shape shifters. Through out the series other werewolves are hinted about.
Here is a list of a few of the hints that foreshadowed a different form of werewolf. There are more, but I don't have all my books, so these are off the top of my head.
Carlisles father hunted them (mentioned in Twilight)
Alice's reaction in NM, when Bella mentions werewolves.
Edward said the Volturi would not recognize this species at the end of Eclipse. Plus the conversation between Edward and Victoria about Seth.
waiting for a meteor
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by waiting for a meteor »

I wonder whether the pack will get an identity crisis? They kind of worshipped the wolf thing and now they are not the "real" werewolves... :shock:
No Rose, your backside is not getting any bigger – its frozen in time, remember?
Parallel evolution? My Twin = darkrider
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Really, I don't know what was up with this. Hopefully, it'll be essential to some future plot or something. Seriously, with like 50 pages left!

So the main difference is what, that the shapeshifter "keep their mind" while werewolves are completely gone? Oh, and that the Children of the Moon need to moon to change of course. All interesting, I suppose, but it leaves us with TOO many questions. Faaaaar too many.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
mandycullen
Settled in Forks

Post by mandycullen »

In Eclipse or New Moon, didn't Bella explain to Edward about how the werewolves are around because of vampires and Edward says that it's what Jacob thinks?
wishingiwasbella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by wishingiwasbella »

The difference between the Children of the moon and then the wolves that we know is taht the wovles actually get a choice when to change, It can be anytime after they get control of it. However the Children of the moon are forced to change even if they don't want to every full moon they change and kill I think. I like the fact that it was brought up like 50 something pages from the end because it just made it more interesting and made sense and the whole Bella asking edward why he never told her that was because she never asked, they just let her assume that that's what they were. But several Hints were made throughout the series about how they weren't really "real" werewolves but the point that made the biggest impression was the talk with Victoria and Edward about what she saw in Sibera.
ourlastmemory
Settled in Forks

Post by ourlastmemory »

the whole shapeshifters concept REALLY confused me, i can understand that it would make sense in differentiating them from true "children of the moon" who supposedly followed more to the legend of changing at full moon, but if they really aren't werewolves, why do the cullens find their smell so repulsive??!
if they could change their shape to anything as carlisle suggests, then if they were, say, eagles, or tigers, surely vampire's wouldn't find their smell so disgusting, and vice versa! jacob describe's the cullens as the enemies of his kind, and calls them "bloodsuckers" as a werewolf surely would.
i think they must have SOME kind of werewolf relation, or else this wouldn't make sense, and i wouldnt never put stephanie down as one for continuity errors.
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Just because they're shape shifters and not true werewolves doesn't mean they wouldn't smell so repulsive to vampires. We don't know a lot about true werewolves at this point, other than that they don't maintain "who" they are while they're in wolf form. Basically, I'm sure that anything that could not be considered "food" to a vampire would smell repulsive. Or, even for that matter, anything that is not considered desirable food. Look at Renesmee and human food. Even though she can eat it, it smells and tastes horribly to her because it's not what she desires.

The only reason the packs are wolves to begin with is because Taha Aki took the form of a wolf when he was forced outside of his body. I'm sure if another animal would've allowed him to take their body, then the packs would shape shift into that animal instead.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

I really liked that part in the book, when it's all explained about the shape-shifting, but I still wonder - are the Quileute wolfs still natural enemies of vampires? Or is this just a coincidence in some ways?