General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
gatsbygirl
Settled in Forks

Re: Classic Romantic Relationships

Post by gatsbygirl »

Don't think Cathy and Heathcliff are a good comparison. They're violently in love, and it all ends a bit miserably. Bit too gothic. maybe the obsession is similar?
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

debussygirl wrote:See, to me Tuck Everlasting was more about the negatives of wanting something like living forever than a love story, which Twilight is. It creeped me out that Jess (I think that was his name) wanted a 10 year old to become immortal for him. I don't think he loved her, he just wanted someone, anyone, to be with (unlike Edward, who never wanted anyone until Bella and even then wouldn't make her immortal). The proof he didn't love her was that he never tried to go back for her, yet he expected her to become immortal. So since he didn't go back he didn't love her enough, especially since there wasn't anything really dangerous about him like there was with Edward. And Winnie was only a little girl with a crush (opposed to Bella who's a mature teenager desperately in love). So I don't find it a very romantic book compared to Twilight.
But it does bring up the similar dilemma of immortality or mortality like Twilight does. And the Tucks are sort of like the Cullens, needing to move around, stay secret, never grow or change. They have a secret like the Cullens.
You're right there. I didn't realize she was only 10, I thought she was older. Thinking of it, I think he was more infatuated rather than in love. He did go back for her though, just not for several years, giving her a chance to age somewhat before becoming immortal.

Also, I think if the original author had Stephenie Meyer's talent, there would have been a few more similarities, but this is like comparing greasy Pizza Hut pizza with authentic Chicago deep dish pizza--of course the Chicago deep dish is better, it's more well-developed, more thought out, and has a larger fan base. But that's not to say that there aren't some similarities, or that sometimes the Pizza Hut isn't good, but despite that, there's really no comparison. :lol:

Anyway....the more I think about it, the more differences I come up with, Edward & Jess's "love" were much different. Edward & Bella were definitely in love, whereas I think Winnie just wanted to do something with her life, and try something daring to get out of her over-protective household, and Jess didn't want to be alone anymore. Although I do believe that Winnie and Jess loved each other to some degree--they just weren't really "in love."
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

xXBeSafeXx wrote:. He
did go back for her though, just not for several years, giving
her a chance to age somewhat before becoming immortal.
You must be thinking about the movie. In the movie, Winnie was a young adult, about the age Jess was frozen at, and he did go back for her...after about 100 years. But in the book he never goes back. It's about 60-ish years later and the parents come back. They see Winnie's grave and the mom just says, "Oh, Jess'll be so sad." So to me, if Jess didn't come back for her in about 10-20 years, he couldn't have loved her. But in the end, it was better Jess didn't love Winnie. It would be too sad if he had loved her and lost her.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

You're right again! :lol:
I read the book, but it's been longer, so I was remembering mental pictures of Jess seing her tombstone. But yeah, in the book he didn't. So, I see your point.
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

:lol: I do that to a lot, too. But my cousin just read the book and got mad about the film adaptation and was ranting to me about all the differences, so I got a refresher on the differences between the book and the movie.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

dramaqueen55 wrote:to find out a diffrent end to bella and edwards relation ship we need to see forever dawn right? :?: :roll: :idea:
yea i hope she releases it soon
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

MindReader wrote:um...this is the first romance novel ive read :D
lol same here =)
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

Twilightlover101 wrote:
dramaqueen55 wrote:to find out a diffrent end to bella and edwards relation ship we need to see forever dawn right? :?: :roll: :idea:
yea i hope she releases it soon

on stephenie meyer's website she said that she isn't going to ever release forever dawn =(
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

Forever Dawn is pretty much Breaking Dawn, so there'd be no point in publishing it. But she did say she might post parts of it on her website, so we could see how different it was. :)
gatsbygirl
Settled in Forks

Post by gatsbygirl »

There appears to be some similarity to Cat on A Hot Tin Roof. Bella is tormented because Ed won't sleep with her, but Ed has his own troubles.