General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Twilight Saga #4

Post by Lacuna Scion »

I think you guys are right about Heidi's ability: charisma. She doesn't have that same natural repellent the other vamps do. But that's not to say it would extend over your judgement; you might want to be around the person but if they lead you to a dark, stone cavern you'd still get concerned - the rosary lady.

I always got the impression that she was the mental version of Jasper. Jasper really releases endorphins and what not into your system, but Heidi just messes with your brain (like Edward and Jane) - which would also contribute to the theory that Bella wasn't effected by her.

Now I have a really random question that's been bothering me: How do you think SM's vampires would react in space? Now take a moment to chuckle - because it is ridiculous - and get back to me.

Now, we know they don't have blood (duh!) so we can therefore rule out the need to regulate body temperature. I think this is where they differ from the wolves. I think the wolves could eventually get cold - although you'd be hard pressed to find a situation (again you might have to send one into space) - but vampires wouldn't. Would space be too cold? (I here it's chilly up there :D )

Vampires aren't required to breathe, it's just kind of nice. So what about that?

And strength? Astronauts lose muscle mass because of the no gravity, but would vampires get stronger because everything's so much lighter?

I realize this is a way in depth analysis of some potentially horrible fan-fic plot line, but I was genuinely curious. Thoughts on any of my mindless ramblings?
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

My first concern with vampires in space is exploding from the lack of pressure. They may not need to breathe, but the vacuum of space would suck the air out of them.

Unless you're talking about putting them in space suits or keeping them in the shuttle and whatnot.

In which case...

They can't gain/lose body cells, so their muscle mass would remain the same, in my opinion. Temperature doesn't seem to bother them at all, though open space is going to be colder than anything we have on Earth, especially if you're hidden from the sun. Now if they were in a suit/vehicle, doesn't really matter.
Adrienne
Learning to Love Green

Post by Adrienne »

Lucyth wrote:
ringswraith wrote:LOL. Never even crossed my mind. :lol:

Yes, he had the cloak on at this point.

I wonder if Heidi's ability has an area of effect. Remember the old lady with the rosary? She was quite confused upon entering the tower... Maybe because Heidi stayed outside, and the woman got outside her area of influence..?
Doubt it. If you were invited into a special VIP tower full of amazing, beautiful people, furniture and antiques, i think you would be a little happy atleast. If you were a tourist, I'm guessing you would be a little stunned at the beauty of a place like that, and not able to feel scared or afraid, because, as far as they're concerned, theres no reson to. I suspected the woman with the rosary knew something 'evil' was in the tower (hense, the rosary), but she got caught in a crowd and sort of followed everybody else in? Thats how I thought of it, anyway.
I kinda figured the lady with the rosary was from somewhere remote where people strongly believed of old legends of monsters. I remember reading BD when the cleaning lady explains more to Edward about Bella's fate and have a deja vu lol.

You know you are too into Twilight when you look at your husband and think

"Dammit, why don't you sparkle?"
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

ringswraith wrote:My first concern with vampires in space is exploding from the lack of pressure. They may not need to breathe, but the vacuum of space would suck the air out of them.

Unless you're talking about putting them in space suits or keeping them in the shuttle and whatnot.

In which case...

They can't gain/lose body cells, so their muscle mass would remain the same, in my opinion. Temperature doesn't seem to bother them at all, though open space is going to be colder than anything we have on Earth, especially if you're hidden from the sun. Now if they were in a suit/vehicle, doesn't really matter.
Or maybe they just won't explode because their bodies are like granite (as SM has said it herself), so it would be just like randomly throwing a rock in space. :lol:
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

chowzinha wrote:Or maybe they just won't explode because their bodies are like granite (as SM has said it herself), so it would be just like randomly throwing a rock in space. :lol:
Rocks usually don't have a hollow core. :)
dopeydm
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dopeydm »

I know that in space, you can have a problem with water trying to escape your cells. I know that they have venom and not water/blood, but I wonder what the venom is made of and if it is water...they would have problems as well.
"But you see, just because we've been...dealt a certain hand...it doesn't mean that we can't choose to rise above -- to conquer the boundaries of a destiny that none of us wanted."
cullens_love

Post by cullens_love »

Could an atomic bomb hurt the vampires??

And also I read Eclispe today, in the tent when Edward and Jacob had their conversation, Edward said that he eventually would have come back to see if Bella was happy. Now let`s say Bella was somewhat happy would Edward have let Bella known he`s there or would he have checked on her without her knowing??

I don`t think that he would have let her known that he was back.
YOU ARE MY LIFE NOW
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

He would not have let her know he had even come by to check, if that were the case.

As he told Jacob, he could live with it, so long as she were happy. He would just not let her see how much it would hurt him, if that were the case.

As far as the atomic bomb... Maybe? If the vampire stood still?
purple_panda

Post by purple_panda »

cullens_love wrote:Could an atomic bomb hurt the vampires??

And also I read Eclispe today, in the tent when Edward and Jacob had their conversation, Edward said that he eventually would have come back to see if Bella was happy. Now let`s say Bella was somewhat happy would Edward have let Bella known he`s there or would he have checked on her without her knowing??

I don't think an atomic bomb could hurt the vampires, because their skin is extremely hard and if it were to tear them apart, they would just pull themselves back together.
As for the other question, I beleive he would have just left her as she was, and gone back to his misery. He said in NM that that would be the Cullens would not interfere any more, so I beleive he would keep his word and stay away from Bella. :cry:
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

cullens_love wrote:Could an atomic bomb hurt the vampires??

1) Yeah, I think the A-bomb could ruin a vampires day just like it could a humans. The explosion itself would obliterate the vampire - they would vaporize just like us.

2) I do not think he would let her know he was there. He would observe her like he did before in Twilight and to make sure she was happy and well, but he would be waiting for the moment Jacob imprinted with someone and like he said " I would be waiting for that to happen" because like Sam & Emily, Jacob would not have a choice but to leave Bella and that would open the door for Edward to walk right back in to her life.

That's how I see it.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict