General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Post by VirginiaMay »

Max 28 wrote:Something I've wondered is whether vampires' hair grows. They're in frozen states so does this include their hair growth? And do you think their hair is really strong? Like be really hard to cut? So the hairstyle they had when they were changed is what they're stuck with? I wasn't sure if that was the reason behind Alice's hair; that she could not change it from the asylum cut or whether she kept it like that herself. It looks pretty good even if they were cutting her hair off because the thought her crazy.
This is from the Lex homepage, under Vampire Mythology:

"Natural changes in the human body would not occur any longer. A woman would "no longer have any kind of ovulation cycle," (PC1), a man would no longer need to shave as hair would no longer continue to grow. Once cut, hair will never grow back, and we are given the example of Alice, whose hair is so short because "it was growing back from being shaved in the asylum." (PC1). Alice will never be able to have the long flowing locks of Rosalie."

To read the full description go here:

http://www.twilightlexicon.com/?p=60
Max 28
Wandering Through Town

Post by Max 28 »

Oh cool thanks for that. I'll have to read up on the mythology provided. :)

Something I was unsure of was vampire skin tomes. I've read what I thought were conflicting statements about whether their skin was always the pale white or with previously darker skin their completion can vary in shades. Is the sure answer that you can have darker skinned vampires?

Also, I know it is not in the book, but with Laurent being black in the film and I think there would be other black vampires in the world, how does their skin shine? Is the same as fair skinned vampires or does if give some sort of other coloured glow?
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Max 28 wrote:Oh cool thanks for that. I'll have to read up on the mythology provided. :)

Something I was unsure of was vampire skin tomes. I've read what I thought were conflicting statements about whether their skin was always the pale white or with previously darker skin their completion can vary in shades. Is the sure answer that you can have darker skinned vampires?

Also, I know it is not in the book, but with Laurent being black in the film and I think there would be other black vampires in the world, how does their skin shine? Is the same as fair skinned vampires or does if give some sort of other coloured glow?
As to the sparkles... Have you ever seen black quartz?? I used to love the gemstone room at the Museum of Natural History in Denver; they had an amazing collection of stones there. Black quartz was one of my faves, I also loved smoky topaz. The museum had lots of quartz stones, many of which were dark in color but sparkled when illuminated. I think our Twilight vampires could be the same way in their ability to sparkle despite the color of their skin. SM described vampire skin to be a living stone kind of like diamonds, but maybe quartz is a more apt description?? Of course, the diamond metaphor could have referred to the strength and hardness of vampire skin.

Second thing... For white people at least, much of the skin's color comes from the blood flowing beneath it because it lacks any significant amounts of pigment. However, for people who have skin darkened by moderate to large amounts of melanin, or pigment, the color of the skin is mostly due to the melanin secreted in the cells there. After vampire transformation that skin tone would be only slightly affected by the loss of blood flow, again because most of their color comes from the skin itself. So Laurent (movie version) would still be dark, but not as much as he was in life. Eleazar, Carmen and Felix would still have their olive pigmentation, it would just no longer be accentuated by blood flow. I guess that was why SM used "chalky" as a descriptive because it is hard to find a word for skin that is significantly pigmented and yet pale at the same time.

Hope that helps... :D
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

VirginiaMay wrote: Have you ever seen black quartz?? I used to love the gemstone room at the Museum of Natural History in Denver; they had an amazing collection of stones there. Black quartz was one of my faves, I also loved smoky topaz. The museum had lots of quartz stones, many of which were dark in color but sparkled when illuminated. I think our Twilight vampires could be the same way in their ability to sparkle despite the color of their skin. SM described vampire skin to be a living stone kind of like diamonds, but maybe quartz is a more apt description?? Of course, the diamond metaphor could have referred to the strength and hardness of vampire skin.
I like your comparison! Somehow, I always imagine the vampire paler than normal people in the same way that people who is really sick. People with disease is paler than they used to be, no matter what skin tone they were at first...

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

When Bella first sees Edward, she describes him like this. Chalky pale and with bruise like dark circles under his eyes. They were so dark that it looked like his nose had been broken and was in the process of healing. So, yes, they would look sickly, I believe.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Openhome wrote:When Bella first sees Edward, she describes him like this. Chalky pale and with bruise like dark circles under his eyes. They were so dark that it looked like his nose had been broken and was in the process of healing. So, yes, they would look sickly, I believe.
Very true, when they hadn't hunted in almost two weeks. Which is the case on Bella's first day. Additionally, she was probably the only human at that school who ever looked that closely at the Cullens, so she would have noticed things the average human wouldn't have. Yes??
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Ginnie~ Yes, I think you are exactly right. All of the Cullens comment at one time or another how rare it is that Bella looked so closely at them. That she was willing to look beyond what Edward thought made him obviously dangerous to see them for who and not just what they were is one of the strongest things about Bella, IMO. It is also one of the many many reasons that he fell in love with her.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I have to agree. Bella was willing to simply be around the Cullens, which was rare for a human. She noticed not only the beauty, but the oddity of their looks, and even mentioned that the other kids didn't notice. I think the family's loneliness must have been incredible, especially Alice's. They were treated as pariahs by the others, so when Bella didn't run, I think it made Edward truly look at her and was definitely a reason for why he fell for her.
Max 28
Wandering Through Town

Post by Max 28 »

Thanks for the explanation Virginia May, it makes good sense. :)

And yeah, I never thought of it before but at least Alice must have been a little lonely. She was always so interested in teen life and loved to be with Bella and live the big moments with her. And when Bella wasn't interested (which was most of the time) she certainly brought it up making Bella feel guilty. Probably the others were content without many relationships though.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

So I made my husband watch the New Eclipse trailer that was on Oprah and he actually came up with a question that I do not know the answer to, which is rare when it comes to all things Twilight. :o Here it is.....In order to kill a vampire they must be torn apart and burned. So do the werewolf's have to burn them too? He is confused because there is no mention of burning anything in the New Moon movie, he is referring to the scene where the werewolf's kill Laurent. So please help me out if you know the answer.....I am constantly defending SM's theory of vampires and werewolfs to my husband so I need a good thorough answer for him. It would probably help if he would just read the books :lol: I know the answer is on here somewhere, I just don't have the time to look for it right now....Thanks for the help in advance :D By the way that trailer ROCKED!!!!
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."