General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Post by bac »

As far as I know, SM is not planning on writing a Jacob Black version of NM. However, she did write this "BEING JACOB BLACK" which is found on her website. Here is the link Jacob's story.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
swedishskinjer
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by swedishskinjer »

I don't think Stephenie should write variations of the same story from another perspective for everyone. She should stick to Edward, Bella and Jacob. Bella already narrates the series, and we saw a significant chunk of Breaking Dawn through Jacob's perspective. It would be nice for Edward to have his turn, since he has a rather unique way of perceiving the world around him. I know that MS is strictly for Twilight, but Edward's journey during NM could easily fill out a book of its own, considering that he did quite a bit of tracking and exploration.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Rae Cullen wrote:Yeah SM felt really bad about the Midnight Sun leak and I think it kinda made her lose interest in the book for awhile. Although I hope that she does publish Midnight Sun someday. Although I as wondering will SM write other stories for the Twilight universe? Stories from Leah's view or Nessie's view. I don't know, I think those would be really cool to read. Oh and I heard once that SM had considered writing a counter part to New Moon, but from Jacob's view. Has anyone heard of that possibility?
Personally, I hope she's taken something away from this. I mean, if she had kept the book out of certain hands this probably never would have happened.

If anything, I want to know more about the Cullen's pasts. Particularly Alice, Jasper, Carlisle, and Edward's lapse in judgement, but if my understanding is correct, SMeyer is planning on writing only sequels.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

RebeccaCullen wrote:Personally, I hope she's taken something away from this. I mean, if she had kept the book out of certain hands this probably never would have happened.
See, that's the thing- she sent copies of the drafts to certain people. People she trusted. And the leak broke that trust. The way you wrote your statement, it makes it sound as if Stephenie herself is to blame, and that couldn't be further from the truth. As someone who's written a story, I can theorize that she was looking for feedback, to see if she was hitting the right groove. Writers need their sounding boards, too.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

ringswraith wrote:
RebeccaCullen wrote:Personally, I hope she's taken something away from this. I mean, if she had kept the book out of certain hands this probably never would have happened.
See, that's the thing- she sent copies of the drafts to certain people. People she trusted. And the leak broke that trust. The way you wrote your statement, it makes it sound as if Stephenie herself is to blame, and that couldn't be further from the truth. As someone who's written a story, I can theorize that she was looking for feedback, to see if she was hitting the right groove. Writers need their sounding boards, too.
The leak happened sometime around the release of the movie if memory serves correctly, and by that time more people were aware of the series, all I'm saying is that it's got some of the same popularity as HP and towards the end of its publication and J.K. Rowling, and her publishers, was iffy about letting others read the work for fear of it being leaked before it was finished.

Now that she knows that someone she trusts leaked this particular book, what would stop them from doing it again? While looking for the feed back is good, there's now that risk that who ever leaked the book will most likely do it again, and she should be aware of that risk.

Personally, I do think Steph is a tad at fault for the leaking of the manuscript because she trusted someone that probably shouldn't have been trusted with it in the first place. Who ever leaked it is at fault for leaking totally, but she does share some of the blame, IMO.
twilight_luva_4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by twilight_luva_4eva »

Here is a question Stephenie has answered online:
Q: Hi Stephenie! :) Of course, I love the Twilight saga, but I was also blown away by how beautiful and unique your other novel, The Host, was -- so I was wondering: do you have any plans for more books not related to Twilight? Thank you so much! :) Kelly <3
A: To address the many, many questions about Midnight Sun:
I’ve found that there really isn’t any answer I can give that changes the substance or tenor of the myriads of requests, pleadings, and demands I get for Midnight Sun to be finished, so I feel a little silly answering that question at all. But it’s the most popular question, so I’ll take another stab at it.
I am not working on Midnight Sun now. I don’t have a plan for when I’ll get to it; I don’t know now what the right time for it will be.
In your questions, there were some erroneous conclusions about the situation which I’ll try to set straight. First, Midnight Sun is not finished and locked in a safe, waiting for me to be done angsting over the leak. If it were done, I would be throwing it on the bookstore shelves myself. I’d love to be able to give it to all the people who are anxiously waiting for it. Second, I am not upset about the leak. I haven’t been for a long time; I was over it after about three weeks. Third, and most important, I am not trying to punish anyone. Not the persons who leaked it, not the people who read the leak, nobody. As I said, it would make me very happy to be able to give it to anyone who wants it.
So why the hold up? Because it’s not finished and lying in a safe. It’s not done, and finishing it is not a simple matter of sitting down in front of my computer and typing out the words; the words have to be there in my head to type out, and right now, they’re not. I have to be in the zone to write any story, and trying to force myself into that zone is a waste of time, I’ve found. I’ll get back to Midnight Sun when the story is compelling to me again. Just because people want it so badly does not make it more write-able; kind of the opposite, actually. I need to be alone with a story to write, and Midnight Sun feels really crowded, if you know what I mean.
People write for different reasons. I have always written to make myself happy. If I’m enjoying a story, feeling the creativity flow, engrossed in a world, then I write and I write fast. If I’m not into it, I can’t write. I’ve never been someone who writes on demand and I can’t imagine working that way. As cool as it would be to say to my favorite author, “You know, I’d really like to read a great book about a narwhal mafia. Write that for me, ’kay?” or even “I’d love a sequel to that last one,” that’s not how it works. How it works is that my favorite author writes a new book about whatever he/she is interested in. Maybe it takes a year, maybe it takes five. If it’s something I want to read, I buy it or I check it out at the library. If not, I find something else to read. The end.
(All of this goes for writing about vampires in general, too. Vampires and I? We’re on a break.)
I’m pretty sure this won’t slow the pleadings and the demands, but I didn’t want you to think I was ignoring the question.
In the meantime, there are so many great books out there. I’ve got some recommendations on my site, and any librarian would love to show you more options. Same goes for independent bookstore employees. Ask for guidance, and they will fill your arms with awesomeness!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

The leak actually happened in August of 2008, while Stephenie was touring to promote the release of Breaking Dawn. And, she has said, based on subtle differences in phrasing and editing, she knows exactly who leaked it. It was a violation of Stephenie's trust and rights as an author and nothing more. To say she is responsible for someone being a complete frackhead to her is like blaming the victim of a crime. That's what she was, pure and simple. And, yes, you are right, JK Rowling did become very leery about letting her manuscripts out of her sight. But, she still had those folks that she trusted implicitly who did read and review them for her. Steph's only blame lays in placing her trust in the wrong person.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

I agree with Jazz Girl- that's akin to blaming the victim of a crime for being the victim of a crime. Like those guys who claim "She was begging for it!" when asked why they took advantage of a woman (who was dressed in a certain manner)- I sincerely doubt the majority of women get dressed for the day thinking "I'm wearing this so that some guy will take advantage of me."

And as mentioned, Mrs. Meyer knows exactly who leaked it. That should prevent further leaks from happening.
JAwriter
Settled in Forks

Post by JAwriter »

Ok, I'm stumped.

I know that the vampires can feel physical and emotional pain. That they have the ability to heal, although venomous bites from other vampires will scar. I know that they can't bleed, but is it possible for them to break bones. I mean if Emmett and Jasper were wrestling and one of them inadvertently hit a little too hard, could they possibly do damage like that? And if so, would it hurt?
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Well, we don't know for a fact that they don't bleed (although all the fights in the series have not mentioned any vampires bleeding). When I wrote my story I decided that they will bleed but only if they have blood in them (that is, have fed recently).

As for your other questions, I'm fairly certain they'd feel the physical pain (witness Riley's screams and cries whilst fighting Seth) and that it's certainly possible for Emmett and/or Jasper to hurt the other inadvertently. However, being vampires, unless they totally lose control, I'm guessing that they can exert just enough force to not cause actual injury.