Twilight Saga Q&A #4

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #4

Post by vampirenerd »

Jazz Girl wrote:So, I was thinking this morning about Carlisle and Edward and Bella. During my musings, something occured to me and I want to get some folks opinions about this.

Knowing what we know about the newborn phase and how Carlisle was as a newborn, do you think it is possible that Carlisle did in fact have a "gift" and that it was the kind of enhanced super self control that people often discuss in relation to Bella?

Ok, I have to comment on this. I don't think that Carlisle's gift was self-control but compassion. It says that he was raised to hate vampires, his father was big into the anti-vampire movement that was going on (to put it in modern terms lol). I think that the reason he resisted drinking human blood in the first place was that he had been made to believe that vampires were evil and he was in fact trying to kill himself through starvation. (If I remember correctly there are also other examples of how he tried to kill himself.) Once he realized that he could live off of the blood of animals I think it was his compassion that enabled him to keep from drinking the blood of humans and not any "super self-control".
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

ringswraith wrote:egaeci is essentially right. James and Demetri are both trackers, though not in the same manner.

James was a tracker in the more traditional sense. Superior senses, all the cunning of a hunter- not necessarily a "superpower" (although Stephenie Meyer does put an asterisk next to his name at the end of Breaking Dawn, so there has to be more to it than just this).

Demetri relies on his power pretty much exclusively. One difference here is that Demetri can know where you are at any time, supposedly no matter the distance between you; James has to actively track you (via scent and/or other means) and figure out where you are. It's like the difference between an experienced hunter tracking a deer in the forest, versus a hunter who put a tracking collar on a deer and is trying to locate it with his device.
First of all... HI & HELLO!
I'm new to this board, although I have been stalking the fanfic discussion boards for a month or two. ;)

I had a theory about the tracker discussion:
When I saw that James had an asterisk next to his name in the Vampire Index, I assumed that it was the same reason the Demetri had one. Perhaps, in SM's world being a tracker is essentially an enhanced ability or gift? I think that is the answer, because Alistair has an asterisk and the only thing I can find about him is that he was a tracker.

Lastly, I have a wolf related question and it looks like this is place to get the answer. (If there is one.)

Does anyone know if we have a date, specifically the year, for when Sam Uley first phased?

I know it would be after 2003, the generally accepted year of the Cullen's reappearance in Forks. I know that it had to be well before September 2005, because that was when Sam & some of the "boys" from the rez tracked Bella down in the woods. Any theories, or do you know where Stephenie Meyer may have answered this question already??

Thanks to all! Ginnie
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Wow! Either I asked the wrong question and everybody jumped ship! Or, I must have asked the right quetion and nobody knows the answer yet? Theories are acceptable too... Or we can talk about something else. I didn't mean to alientate the thread!! :lol:
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Sorry Virginia May! I tracked down the best answer I could and simply forgot to reply. It seems that Sam changed some time in 2004, possibly in the late summer time because he phased while he was camping with Emily. From Jacob's discussion with Bella at the beginning of NM, Sam became the leader of the tribe for some mysterious reason before she arrived. It also stands to reason that the boys of the tribe were beginning to shift, with the first one being Sam, before Bella even arrived. That is the best I can do for you.
Alphie or any mods?? Any other ideas??
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Openhome wrote:Sorry Virginia May! I tracked down the best answer I could and simply forgot to reply. It seems that Sam changed some time in 2004, possibly in the late summer time because he phased while he was camping with Emily. From Jacob's discussion with Bella at the beginning of NM, Sam became the leader of the tribe for some mysterious reason before she arrived. It also stands to reason that the boys of the tribe were beginning to shift, with the first one being Sam, before Bella even arrived. That is the best I can do for you.
Alphie or any mods?? Any other ideas??

Openhome:
Thank you, that is what I figured. It's so hard to find out if the question has been answered definitively anywhere, when you're so new to the fandom. I really appreciate your answer that helps a lot.
:)
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

Howdy my brilliant Lexicon friends... I am looking for Stephanie's explanation (maybe it was in a personal correspondence) about how Bella's mind is protected from vamp powers but not her body, ie: why Alice and Jasper can use their powers on her, but not Aro, Jane, Edward... etc. Thanks to whomever can point me in the right direction :D
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Basically, Bella's shield is a mental one, so it only serves to protect her versus mental powers- e.g., Edward's mind-reading, Jane's pain infliction, etc. However, Alice's visions change depending on decisions made- which is external to the mind- and Jasper's power actually works on the target's body- again, outside of the mind. That's why those powers work on her.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Hi!
I’m new at Lexicon, but I have read the saga so many times now, I may have a few answers or hints for those who likes to read me… I must add that English isn’t my first language, I’m still learning it, so, please, forgive me if I make some mistakes… :)

I just finished reading all the tread #4, and this is the few thought that cross my mind… It’s a little bit random and long, I’m sorry about it, I was just taking note while I was reading… :)

roseaurora wrote:Howdy my brilliant Lexicon friends... I am looking for Stephanie's explanation (maybe it was in a personal correspondence) about how Bella's mind is protected from vamp powers but not her body, ie: why Alice and Jasper can use their powers on her, but not Aro, Jane, Edward... etc. Thanks to whomever can point me in the right direction :D

She talks about it in the Personal correspondence #10. Maybe somewhere else too, but I remember it on the #10. :)

Jazz Girl wrote:So, I was thinking this morning about Carlisle and Edward and Bella. During my musings, something occured to me and I want to get some folks opinions about this.

Knowing what we know about the newborn phase and how Carlisle was as a newborn, do you think it is possible that Carlisle did in fact have a "gift" and that it was the kind of enhanced super self control that people often discuss in relation to Bella?

I think you like to read the point of view of Ms. Meyer on that… She actually talks about it in the “Personal correspondence #6”.
“But some characteristics skirt the line between "strong trait" and "superpower." Carlisle’s compassion-motivated self-control is really so incredible that it almost crosses the line into "superpower."”

So, I believe she class it in his strong trait more than his superpower… :)

Danica wrote:okay just a quicky as is its been bugging me. because i've been thinking about it a bit too much resently
but...... if the cullens where to bite say a rabbit but not kill it, just infect it with venom and leave it because they got distracted or what ever. would there be a vampire bunny terrorizing forks? would their venom effect animals? why wouldnt it? after all before the cullens and the Denali, there wouldnt be a recorded case to go on.
okay maybe a rabbit was a bad example as its heart wouldnt be strong enough but you know what i mean.

if this has already been answered i do apoloise. i'm still trying to get through everything.

I have a little theory about that: I think venom is deadly for animal. I was surprise to learn that the venom is lethal for shapeshifter (BD p. 454)… After a moment to think about it, I believe it’s because they have a part of them who is animal… Bella tell us the way she perceived the smell of Jacob: “There was an animal edge to his blood that instantly repelled.” (BD p. 435). So, in my opinion, we don’t have to worry about an invasion for rabid vampire rabbit … :)

What do you think about it? :)

If you give me the permission, I wish to give thanks for those two lines, it makes my day! :)
navarre wrote: They aren't walking around with pitched tents all day
ringswraith wrote:(Brief pause for mental image of Edward attempting to suck out his venom from inside Bella's mouth...)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Kate,
I thought your English was pretty good. Welcome to the Lex! There are a lot of nice people on here, have fun!
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Thank you! :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157