General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Pronounciation Key

Post by AyaDiefair »

VirginiaMay wrote: I must have said, Re-nay-se-may, for months.(Imagine that you're saying it with a heavy southern drawl.) I still catch myself doing it sometimes, but "resume" is funny. It's also a lot closer than what I was saying! Nessie is so much better for me personally.
I never liked the name Steph picked for their kid in the first place, even the nickname. I find it... tacky. lol
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
edwardorbust
Settled in Forks

Post by edwardorbust »

AyaDiefair wrote:
danobanano wrote:I never had a problem with Renesmee (Re-Nez-May)
until my friend, and I'm not naming names but you know who you are, ruined it for me when she called her
Resume

Thanks a lot
Ahahaha! Now I won't be able to not say Resume. xD

When I first read Carlisle's name, I kept trying to say it with the "s" sound with it. Like Carl-i-S-le, and I thought it was such a weird name, then I watched the movie, and I was like; Ooh the S is silent! haha.

Another name I struggled with was Uley, I find myself saying oo-ley and Yu-ley. In NM movie I think they say Oo-ley.

I pronounce Nahuel as Na-uel with the "H" being silent, it seems to flow better.

I figured out how to say Quileute only cause I am originally from WA and have tons of Indian cities names you gotta pronounce and figure out how they are pronounced so...yeah. I.E Wenanchee, Sequim, Issaquah, and Puyallup.
OMG! I say Nahuel's name the same way! Nah-well.
I'm from Washington too, so the Native names weren't a huge stretch (although you mentioned Sequim and I just very recently found out that its pronounced squim not see-quim. Haha).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
sorcierdeflipper
Settled in Forks

Post by sorcierdeflipper »

I'm reading some of these pronunciations the way people have them sounded out, and my Texan accent is making it quite confusing.
Someone compared the "a" in "arrow" to being pronounced like the "ea" in "heaven" and I was trying to say it and I dont think I can.
I say "air-row"
I didn't realize that I have an actual Texan accent until like, RIGHT NOW ha ha
Thank you Lexicon!
Image Can you blame me for keeping my eyes open?
melmargaret
Wandering Through Town

Post by melmargaret »

I'm still not quite sure on how to pronouce Nahuel. I pronouce it like the "nap", but without the p. Then I pronouce the rest like "woo" as if I'm excited about something, only without the w. I also add a small "l" at the end, but it doesn't sound too pronounced. All together: Nah-ool

I used to say read Carlisle like Carl-istle. The "isltle" sounding like "Whistle".

Also, I used to say Quiluete as "Quil-et". Haha, I'm no good at this pronounciation ordeal.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

melmargaret wrote:I'm still not quite sure on how to pronouce Nahuel. I pronouce it like the "nap", but without the p. Then I pronouce the rest like "woo" as if I'm excited about something, only without the w. I also add a small "l" at the end, but it doesn't sound too pronounced. All together: Nah-ool
Nah-ool sounds different, but I can see how you would want to pronounce it that way. I think it is more like "Nah-well" or "Na-uel" where the H is completely silent. *shrug*
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
melmargaret
Wandering Through Town

Post by melmargaret »

AyaDiefair wrote:
melmargaret wrote:I'm still not quite sure on how to pronouce Nahuel. I pronouce it like the "nap", but without the p. Then I pronouce the rest like "woo" as if I'm excited about something, only without the w. I also add a small "l" at the end, but it doesn't sound too pronounced. All together: Nah-ool
Nah-ool sounds different, but I can see how you would want to pronounce it that way. I think it is more like "Nah-well" or "Na-uel" where the H is completely silent. *shrug*
Ah, like Manuel. Now I can see where it came from!
melmargaret.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

be my escape wrote:Carlisle = CAR - lyle
Thank you so much for this! I was always stumped about how to say his name. :lol:
Ina EssBe
Wandering Through Town

Post by Ina EssBe »

Hi, I'm glad I joined Lex! Now I know how to say some of the names - I can't believe some of them... English is my third foreign language and, although I have to accept the pronunciation, I must say I'd never thought that Sioban was pronounced as Sha-vohn. How did it get to that?! How odd! :? As for Nahuel, I sort of hoped that all the letters were pronounced more or less as they were. In my head Na-hu-el sounds better than Na-u-el *shrugs*
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I'm sorry I didn't have time to read all the pages, has there been a consensus reached on pronouncing Aro's name? I noticed that on the first page everyone was saying ah-roh, but SM says Air-oh. I'm guessing we should go with her version, or has she got it wrong, too? And isn't it Latin?
michelle
Learning to Love Green

Post by michelle »

My question is, how do we pronounce Stephenie's name?

Is there only a change in the way the name is written (e instead of a), or is there also a change in the pronunciation? I know that my name can be written various ways, for example Michelle or Mishale, but in both cases the pronunciation is the same, the one you all know!!! ;)

To be more clear: Is it pronounced Steph- a - nie, like the a in Canada?

Or is it Steph - e - nie, like the e in elbow?