General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BellaSwanWannabe
Settled in Forks

Re: Pronounciation Key

Post by BellaSwanWannabe »

haha, my sister's best friend is Siobhon so I never had trouble with it.
I did have trouble with a whole lot of others until i saw some of the interviews tho.
eg Carlisle [Car-lees-el]
Rosalie [Rose-ahh-lee]
Quileute [Qui-loo-et]
plus heaps more :lol:
Valentina
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Valentina »

I'm surprised so many people had trouble with pronouncing Carlisle. Does no one remember Belinda Carlisle? She was one of the Go-gos? 'Ooh heaven is a place on earth?" *sigh* I feel old.

I'm still not sure how to pronounce Quileute.

BellaSwanWannabe - I'm gonna call you BellaSwannabe. Cuz its cute.
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

BellaSwanWannabe wrote:haha, my sister's best friend is Siobhon so I never had trouble with it.
I did have trouble with a whole lot of others until i saw some of the interviews tho.
Rosalie [Rose-ahh-lee]
Quileute [Qui-loo-et]

lol :lol: i'm sorry but i could not stop laughing at how you pronounced carlisle, or should i say car-lees-el
:lol:
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

Valentina wrote:I'm surprised so many people had trouble with pronouncing Carlisle. Does no one remember Belinda Carlisle? She was one of the Go-gos? 'Ooh heaven is a place on earth?" *sigh* I feel old.

I'm still not sure how to pronounce Quileute.

BellaSwanWannabe - I'm gonna call you BellaSwannabe. Cuz its cute.

yea, i had absolutely no idea how to pronounce quileute until i read it on stephenie meyers website she said it's pronounced qwil-yoot
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
B.DaL
Settled in Forks

Post by B.DaL »

I can't beleive i was pronouncing Quileute and volturi wrong! :o
i say quileute like quil-ette and i say volturi exaclty how its spelt so like vol-ture-ee
and im probably going to still say it like this cause the other ways just sound to weird to me now :?
anyway until like eclipse i said carlisle like car-le-sile and even though i know how to pronounce siobhon whenever i read it i say it like so-be-ann
this question doesn't really have to do with twilight but it does have to do with pronounciation. i'm canadian and alot of people here in canada say that americans think we pronounce about a-boot but everyone canadian thinks we pronounce it just like american's do. so is anyone here from the U.S and can they tell me if it actually sounds like we are saying a-boot rather than about :roll: :D ?
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

Canadians totally say "aboot." Some are more "boooooot" than others, but yes... definitely can usually tell Canadians apart because of that. :)

It's hard to hear it yourself... I'm from Chicago and I get made fun of all the time by my friends from different cities for how I say different words. I just don't notice it because your ear is attuned a certain way.
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
Phoenix
Settled in Forks

Post by Phoenix »

Alphie wrote:I say You-lee for Uley.

And I say Nah-HUE-el for Nahuel. When in doubt, I go with the obvious.

However, I hope I'm not the only person this totally clueless out there. Siobahn is pronounced Sha-Vaun. Pel had a good laugh at me over this one, so please speak up if you didn't know that was how it was pronounced!
Oh gosh! I pronounced this completely literally :? with the "b" sound and all LOL!
Thats embarassing now haha!
Jasper<3
you wish he loved you
i.heart.twilight&hp
Settled in Forks

Post by i.heart.twilight&hp »

BellaSwanWannabe wrote:haha, my sister's best friend is Siobhon so I never had trouble with it.
Rosalie [Rose-ahh-lee]
Quileute [Qui-loo-et]
Don't feel bad. I said Carlisle the same way until I saw an interview. Actually...with re-reading, I'm still having a hard time adjusting.
High five, though! I knew a Siobhan too! We both have unique, hard-to-say names, so it was funny.
I was kind of angry when someone told me it was Esmeeee and not Esmayyy...cuz I was saying Esmay and then switched to Esmee. Now I'm having a hard time getting use to Esmayy again!
Guess it doesn't really matter though right? It's sort of in between. Esmayyy sounds better to me.
Also Quileute...I was saying it right sometimes...I dunno, but with that one, I think I said it different everytime, hoping to get it right at one point.

I think everything else I was ok with....
I can spell love with two words: ♥Edward Cullen♥ {Major OCD}
Cause only a vampire can love you forever, right?
~Another dazzled Mrs. Cullen - Cause family is about more than just blood.
Twilight_Perfection
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Twilight_Perfection »

I felt so retarded when I actually figured out the right pronunciation for Carlisle. I always thought it was like Car-isle or something like that, then the more I saw it I was DUH!

i.heart.twilight&hp
Settled in Forks

Post by i.heart.twilight&hp »

Lol
When I heard the right pronounciation, I was like OH-MY-GOD! Are you serious? :shock:
Ughh I felt so stupid. I'm glad to not be the only one though. I guess a lot of people did the car-lee-sul thing.
So how is Renemee's middle name said then?
Car-lie
or
Car-lee?
I can spell love with two words: ♥Edward Cullen♥ {Major OCD}
Cause only a vampire can love you forever, right?
~Another dazzled Mrs. Cullen - Cause family is about more than just blood.