General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Post by opulent »

Pendragon wrote:Didn't SM say herself that Jacob was never attracted to Bella for her egg? Like someone else said, Bella's egg wasn't the only thing that made up Nessie, he would also be attracted to Edward in this case as well. So case in point, Jacob imprinted on Nessie once he saw her, not when she was an egg
I am not saying you are wrong, because I agree. But why would the feeling of attraction, of needing to be around each other, go away for both Jake and Bella as soon as Nessie was born then?
"Plus que ma propre vie."
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

opulent wrote: I am not saying you are wrong, because I agree. But why would the feeling of attraction, of needing to be around each other, go away for both Jake and Bella as soon as Nessie was born then?
Simple, because Jacob imprinted on Nessie and like Sam, all his feelings for Bella went right out the window more or less. As for Bella, she just wanted to keep Jacob in her life as a friend despite how much it hurt him to be around her. So now she'll still be able to have Jacob in her life and Jacob no longer has feelings for Nessie. That is why I disliked the idea of Jacob imprinting on Nessie so much.
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

No, that isn't exactly what I meant. Others on here said that Jake didn't imprint on Nessie when she was still just an egg in Bella. My question is, if he didn't unconsciously have those feelings for Nessie before her birth, then why did those feelings go away as soon as Nessie was out of Bella?

And remember, Jacob didn't see Nessie for the first time until he got downstairs, but he had lost feelings for Bella as soon as Nessie was born. If he had to see her to imprint, then he shouldn't have lost his feelings for Bella until he saw Nessie downstairs.
Does that make any sense?
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

opulent wrote:No, that isn't exactly what I meant. Others on here said that Jake didn't imprint on Nessie when she was still just an egg in Bella. My question is, if he didn't unconsciously have those feelings for Nessie before her birth, then why did those feelings go away as soon as Nessie was out of Bella?

And remember, Jacob didn't see Nessie for the first time until he got downstairs, but he had lost feelings for Bella as soon as Nessie was born. If he had to see her to imprint, then he shouldn't have lost his feelings for Bella until he saw Nessie downstairs.
Does that make any sense?
The period between Nessie's birth and when Jake saw her for the first time, he never lost his feelings for Bella. He was in a state of shock. The girl he loved was dead and all that was left of her was a mangled corpse. He walked down in a shocked state and as he got closer to Nessie, his desire to kill her grew more and more till he finally saw her and then it turned into love. In all, before he set eyes on Nessie, he was walking down the stairs towards her due to a combination of shock that the girl he loves was nothing more that a mangled corpse and hatred and a desire to kill the thing that caused her supposed death (Nessie). Jacob always had feelings for Bella till he saw Nessie.
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

Well, in a way you are right and in a way you might be wrong.

The book states that as soon as Jake thought Bella was dead, he had no feelings for her - she was just a body laying there. Now, with any relationship, no matter how intense the grief, usually the person feels more love than that for a loved one who just died. I agree he hated Nessie till he saw her, and I agree he still had feelings for Bella - he still loved Bella even after he imprinted on Nessie, just not in the same way. But to feel nothing at seeing her dead body? I don't think so.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

opulent wrote:Well, in a way you are right and in a way you might be wrong.

The book states that as soon as Jake thought Bella was dead, he had no feelings for her - she was just a body laying there. Now, with any relationship, no matter how intense the grief, usually the person feels more love than that for a loved one who just died. I agree he hated Nessie till he saw her, and I agree he still had feelings for Bella - he still loved Bella even after he imprinted on Nessie, just not in the same way. But to feel nothing at seeing her dead body? I don't think so.
I think what was meant to say was that the girl he is in love with is now gone. The body is all that is left and he had no feelings to what looked like to him a mangled corpse. In the end his love for her was still there, he was just really numbed by the shock of her death.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Well, when he says she was just a body lying there, I think that was definitely meant to signify the fact that he believed her dead, not that he didn't love Bella anymore.

However, opulent, what's generally agreed upon is that that pull between them began with Bella's pregnancy and ended with Nessie's birth. So, while Nessie was existent but not yet born, he felt the gravitational pull with none of the love that comes with the act of imprinting.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Post by mary »

I agree. He did still have feelings towards Bella after she died. It was just the body to him after she died and he loved her not her body, if that makes since. He didn't stop loving her until seeing Nessie, upon which he imprinted on. He did love Bella, he did throughout the whole book, but when she was pregnant his love for her grew greater, from what I can remember, that was, I believe, because of Nessie. Not that he never loved Bella, throughout all the books he loved her so you can't say he loved her because of Nessie being inside her, it's just the pregnancy intinsified his love for her because of the pull towards Nessie.

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

I totally agree with your premise, but not your particulars.

Jacob's love for Bella didn't increase. He felt a gravitational pull towards her that had nothing to do with emotion of any kind.

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

I totally agree with your premise, but not your particulars.

Jacob's love for Bella didn't increase. He felt a gravitational pull towards her that had nothing to do with emotion of any kind.