Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Post by mary »

Actually, I think that SM is a good writer, and I like the world that she built. The whole Jacob/Nessie imprint didn't bother me at all. First of all, I knew he was going to imprint sooner or later, and I had a pretty good feeling that it was going to be with her. Third, he may be older, but while he's a werewolf, he stops growing, so he's going to stay the age/way he is until Nessie gets to the age where it's ok for them to be together, which is the exact same thing that Quil is doing with Claire. Jacob explained it in the book to Bella, the imprint doesn't mean that they're off dating and kissing and all that, I mean, that would be disgusting because they are babies, the imprint means that while they're babies, and as they're growing until they get to the same age as Jacob and Quil, they'll be best friends, just like Bella and Jacob are best friends. Then, when they're old enough, they'll get together, establish a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. I think that it was a good way to keep Jacob and Bella's friendship cuz what would have kept Jacob there? He would have ran off again cuz he would have not liked the idea of Bella becoming a vamp. Bella would have lost her best half-way human friend. All her other best friends have no ties to the human world, so keeping her friendship with Jacob was a good thing, and him imprinting on Nessie was a good way to keep that. As far as I'm concerned, saying that Jacob imprinting on Nessie is disgusting is like saying Edward loving Bella is disgusting cuz he is hundreds of yrs older than she is after all and Jacob is just tech, like 15/16 yrs older, but Nessie is so advanced and she is half-vamp. so she's gonna quit growing soon anyways. That's just the way I seen it when I read the book, so that's why it didn't bother me.

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

mary wrote:Jacob explained it in the book to Bella, the imprint doesn't mean that they're off dating and kissing and all that, I mean, that would be disgusting because they are babies, the imprint means that while they're babies, and as they're growing until they get to the same age as Jacob and Quil, they'll be best friends, just like Bella and Jacob are best friends. Then, when they're old enough, they'll get together, establish a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. I think that it was a good way to keep Jacob and Bella's friendship cuz what would have kept Jacob there? He would have ran off again cuz he would have not liked the idea of Bella becoming a vamp. Bella would have lost her best half-way human friend. All her other best friends have no ties to the human world, so keeping her friendship with Jacob was a good thing, and him imprinting on Nessie was a good way to keep that.
It doesn't creep my out that he imprinted on Nessie because of her age. I know it won't get romantic until she's ready for that.So that's fine by me. But I didn't like that he imprinted on her. Anyone else would be fine. It was too easy, and it seemed like SM was forcing a happy ending for Jacob because she wouldn't take the time to fix him properly. I agree that Bella and Jacob's friendship was important, but not that way. It was just weird that he imprinted on her daughter after loving Bella for so long. And the fact that Nessie is half vampire didn't matter to him at all either. That's a bit strange considering what he is and why he is that way.
ringswraith wrote:Totally agree with the whole "Renesmee as a very convenient plot device" comments. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, please) that is was holdingoutforjacob that made a comment about how Renesmee is unrelatable as a character- that she's just kind of there, as this perfect little being. She kind of reminds me of the One Ring in LotR- we know it's magical, we know that if it fell into the wrong hands it would spell doom for all, but we don't really know just what the heck it does, specifically. And yet an entire story ends up revolving around it.

I also agree with how quickly Jacob went from Bella to Renesmee without so much as a "Huh?" What seems funny to me is, we spend the majority of the time post-birth being told that Renesmee's this wonderful, unique little being (who could probably sprout fairy wings at any given moment and no one would bat an eyelash), and then suddenly at the end we're being told "Oh no- she's not unique. It's happened before," like that would make everything all right.
rings; Excellent points. And delivered in such a funny fashion. You had me laughing with comparing Nessie to the ring, and the wings :lol: It's true though. We never knew anything about her other than that she was perfect, and not a danger to anyone afterall. And all of a sudden she is the solution to all of Jacob's problems...
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
ajmckenna
Settled in Forks

Post by ajmckenna »

I have to admit I haven't read all of the posts here, but I wanted to add my feelings about Jacob and Reneesme... I think it is perfect and exactly the way fate would have intended.

Bella knew that she had to keep Jacob in her life and she needed him most when she was suffering with the pregnancy for the same reason she needed to drink blood, not for herself but for Reneesme. ICould it be that it was Reneesme who was calling to be with Jacob and keeping him near to Bella?

There had to be a reason why Bella wanted Jacob in her life not because she loved him for herself, but because she knew he was there for a reason, not for her, her heart was always with Edward. Her mum always said she was older than her years, born age 35 and getting closer to middle age every year, Bella knew in her heart, her love for him was always intense but not in the same heated and intimate way as with Edward.

Imprinting seems to be one of those things that no-one has any control over, it is fated, meant to happen, never any way that anyone or thing can change it.

When I read about Jacob imprinting with Reneesme it just felt like it was right, perfectly right to me.

Anyone have any theories about this?
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I have mixed feelings on the whole Jacob imprinting on Renesmee issue. I liked it because it got Jacob his happy ending, but I didn't like it because I was like WHAT?! Jacob imprints on Bella's half-vampire daughter? So weird.

After reading SM's site on this issue I'm a little more okay with it. In her original sequel to Twilight, Forever Dawn, Jacob imprinted on Nessie. There are just differences, because NM never happened, Edward never left, & we don't get the complicated Bella/Jacob relationship. So it sounds like to me that ever since she wrote Twilgiht & then starting writing the sequel she knew that Edward and Bella would be married, have a daughter & that Jacob would imprint on her. You can read for yourselfs & decide.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

You're absolutely correct in everything you've just said, but that makes it al the worse for me. You see, if New Moon and Eclipse never happen, than Jacob is still just a plot device. A character that SM throws back into the mix because she likes him and she wants a match for her other plot device.

But in reality, now that New Moon and Eclipse DO happen, Jacob is so much more than that, which is why the ending originally written for a literary tool is not fitting for the third main character.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

At first, the whole Jacob/Renesmee thing weirded me out a little. But then I thought...it's OK though. Jacob finally gets his happily ever after..and remains friends with Bella. Honestly, I think with New Moon and Eclipse, the ending was much better if it had those 2 books and past behind it. But Renesmee will recieve unrequited and unconditional love from Jacob, as a friend, and one day as boyfriend, or husband. And Jacob is sure to be loved, completely and fully FINALLY. It makes everything better that way. Everyone has someone.
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Post by mary »

Exactly! Jacob is happy now. I mean, sure, I guess that maybe it could've been an easy way out, but imprints just happen. They're spontaneous, involuntary, but it's still powerful. It was bound to happen eventually. I knew from NM that eventually Jacob would have his happy ending and imprint on somebody, and, honestly, I think him imprinting on Nessie was kinda special in a way. Nessie is the daughter of his best friend, but he's going to be the same age that he is for awhile cuz werewolves quit aging while they are werewolves, so eventually he's going to be the same age Nessie is (since she does age for awhile), so he'll be closer to Nessie as far as the age factor goes than he will be Bella (although since Bella is turned into a vamp I guess they'll all be pretty close in age then, including Nessie, which to me is kinda weird her being almost the same age as her mom, hmmm.... I just now thought of that.). Like I've said before in a diff. post, all through the saga, I seen Jacob as a little brother, and Bella loved him just not in a romantic way, so I'm thinking that she felt for him like he was a fam. member as well. If this was the case, why not make him officially into her fam. by him imprinting w/ and eventually marrying Nessie, then he would be Bella's son-in-law. Of course, I understand that it may seem weird how Jacob can't stand vamps., they mortal enemies, but after spending so much time w/ vamps during Bella's pregnancy and trying to protect her from the bad vamps (ex. Victoria and Laurent) he kinda got used to them, not liking them, but used to them. Then after Nessie was born, and he imprinted, by that time, he had spent so much time w/ vamps it didn't bother him anymore. And after all, after Nessie was born, his best friend became a vamp. so he kinda had no other choice to adjust to being around vamps if he wanted to keep his friendship w/ Bella.
ajmckenna wrote:Could it be that it was Reneesme who was calling to be with Jacob and keeping him near to Bella?
Imprinting seems to be one of those things that no-one has any control over, it is fated, meant to happen, never any way that anyone or thing can change it.
If I remember correctly, it has been awhile since the last time I read BD, but I believe I read in there somewhere that Nessie was the reason that Jacob was pulled toward Bella. Nessie was apart of Bella, inside of her, and that only intensified his feelings toward her. Get what I'm saying? I don't know how else to explain that part of it. However, I do believe that I did read that somewhere in BD, cuz as soon as I read your post, it sounded like I'd heard it before in the book. I mean I may have heard it somewhere else, but I'm pretty sure that I read it somewhere in BD.

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

In BD we sort of get a weird, garbled theory that Nessie was drawing Bella to Jacob during the pregnancy and the pregnancy alone.

akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

^^ Yep, which only really kind of becomes sort of clear when Jake thinks Bella is dead because the "pull" towards her was gone; after Nessie was downstairs in Rose's arms. IIRC, other than their human feelings for one another, neither Bella nor Jake felt that particular "pull."

Image Image Image
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Exactly.

But it DOES NOT in any way mean that Jacob and Bella only loved each other because of Nessie.