Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Post by mary »

See, that's what I'm trying to say. I don't have a problem w/ that itself..I agree w/ it being an easy way out. SM could have either had Bella, Jacob, and Edward sort things out before Nessie was born, or instead of ending the book the way she did, do an epilogue @ the end and set it to like 20 yrs later (or sometime later not necessarily 20 yrs later) and show what life was like for them then. Show how Jacob got over Bella not loving him back in the same way he loved her, show how Nessie and Jacob's relationship flourished or how it turned out...

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

vampirenerd wrote:I agree. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that Jacob imprinted on Nessie because she's a baby. I have a problem with it because it seemed like SM was taking the easy way out. I completely understand that Jacob doesn't think of Nessie in a romatic way right now. He will be whatever she needs him to be and while that doesn't seem completely fair to him, it will work out in the end. What bothers me is that Sm doesn't seem to have put a lot of thought into how jacob would end up. It's just like at the end she was like hmm...what should we do with Jacob? Ok I'll have Bella have a baby so he'll have someone to imprint on. It just didn't seem like she put the thought that Jacob deserved into it.
Well, to be fair, this was what she originally planned for Jacob, but that was before Eclipse and New Moon, when all he and Bella knew of each other was what happened in Twilight. He had never been in love with her, none of that had ever happened. I think she was too rigid with her original ending. The story changed, so did the characters, why shouldn't the end?

I don't think an epilogue with Jacob and Nessie being together would help any, because their relationship isn't real. It's forced. Of course, if you don't mind imprinting, it might help. But the main issue is that nothing in Jacob's life gets resolved before Nessie, and nothing can be resolved after.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

holdingoutforjacob wrote: I don't think an epilogue with Jacob and Nessie being together would help any, because their relationship isn't real. It's forced. Of course, if you don't mind imprinting, it might help. But the main issue is that nothing in Jacob's life gets resolved before Nessie, and nothing can be resolved after.
I don't mind imprinting as such. But I did mind for Jacob, and especially with Nessie. And especially at the time it happened. Jacob was emotionally scarred at the time. He had just lost the love of his life. He could never have her now that she was not human anymore. He hated the man who did that to her, and he hated the baby. So Jacob had a lot of things to deal with. And then coming down the stairs...BAM! He imprints, and everything is forgotten. Nothing matters anymore. That is just the wrong way to do it, IMO. I really like your last sentence there, HOFJ. All possibilites of a resolution just went out the window.

I think it would have been better for Jacob to go away for a while, and think and try to get his life back on track. And then when he came back to Forks, he could have met up with Bella when he was ready, and try to talk things out with her. I think they could have gotten to the point where they could be friends. I don't think he would have lived with the Cullens, but I never saw that need for him to do that. Bella, Edward and Nessie were a family who needed to build their lives together. And Jacob needed to build his. And maybe one day he would find a girl that he imprinted on and could be happy with. After everything was dealt with in the normal way. The way heartbreak should be mended. What makes me even more upset about the imprinting was that what Jacob was going through was no ordinary heartbreak. Bella gave up her humanity, something that Jacob has been fighting against for so long. And suddenly that was okay too....
It was too easy, and even though I know that these books are about supernatural things, it was just too unrealistic considering everything that had happened.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
furrynfun
Settled in Forks

Post by furrynfun »

I was extremley disturbed with this because

a. Jacob made out with Bella and one day he's going to make out with her daughter WEIRD!
b. I can't stand Jacob and I just want him to go away
c. That has to be SO akward for Bella one day
d. I hated the whole Renesmee thing, because the book was no longer about Bella and Edward not caring about anyone more than eachother, all they cared about was Renesmee
e. Things worked out two perfectly Edward and Bella, Jacob and Renesmee they all lived happily ever after, they should have left the books open as if things could still happen
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mary »

Jacob's not going to be making out w/ Nessie anytime soon saying that she's still a baby. Grant it, I am Team Edward through and through, but I still love Jacob. I see Jacob as a little brother, like my little brother that I have. I doubt it would ever be weird for Bella cuz she didn't feel for Jacob the way he did for her. And, of course, they cared unconditionally for Nessie, she's their daughter..when you have a kid that's the main person you care about and focus on, but that doesn't mean Edward of Bella cared any less about anyone else. And, as I recall the book was left open to plenty of opportunities. She ended it w/ Bella showing Edward her power of being able to show him her thoughts when she wants him to, that's not a definite ending, and it's definitly isn't something that can't be picked up on and furthered out into something more.

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Dovrebanen, I agree, it would have definitely been better for Jacob to build something of his own. He's so young, and that's so important to remember, not just as context for his actions but also as context for how deeply this affects him. Bella got to him just as he hit the age where he would start to take things seriously, be really growing up and learning life lessons and contributing to something of their own, apart from their parents. They start building their own lives. Typical teens are lucky enough to do this in a team or a club, where you learn lessons in a low-stakes, forgiving environment that's almost designed to teach you. This, for Jacob, was Bella. He was focusing his center around Bella, and didn't have anything that was just his to fall back on, to throw himself into to take his mind off things. If he'd left and built something for himself with his life, then came back and dealt with his issues with Bella, it would have been better. Or even worked through them on his own is fine.

As for it closing off the series, I think it's just the opposite. Nessie opens up so many paths to follow. SM has said that Bella and Edward's story was done, but now we have Nessie and Jacob to follow, which I'm not entirely thrilled about, or she has said she'd like to do a book from Leah's POV. But they were also making plans to travel and see the new friends they had made, and it's clear that the Volturi's power is slipping. I think there are lots more options for the series.

mary
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mary »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Dovrebanen, I agree, it would have definitely been better for Jacob to build something of his own. He's so young, and that's so important to remember, not just as context for his actions but also as context for how deeply this affects him. Bella got to him just as he hit the age where he would start to take things seriously, be really growing up and learning life lessons and contributing to something of their own, apart from their parents. They start building their own lives. Typical teens are lucky enough to do this in a team or a club, where you learn lessons in a low-stakes, forgiving environment that's almost designed to teach you. This, for Jacob, was Bella. He was focusing his center around Bella, and didn't have anything that was just his to fall back on, to throw himself into to take his mind off things. If he'd left and built something for himself with his life, then came back and dealt with his issues with Bella, it would have been better. Or even worked through them on his own is fine.

As for it closing off the series, I think it's just the opposite. Nessie opens up so many paths to follow. SM has said that Bella and Edward's story was done, but now we have Nessie and Jacob to follow, which I'm not entirely thrilled about, or she has said she'd like to do a book from Leah's POV. But they were also making plans to travel and see the new friends they had made, and it's clear that the Volturi's power is slipping. I think there are lots more options for the series.
You put it that way, I didn't even think about how young he truly is..you are completely accurate when you say that he's at the age where he does a lot of growing up, learning life's great ammount of lessons. I seen while reading the books how much his attention, his life, was centered around Bella, but not once did I take into account how his young age would be involved in his issues with Bella. I do agree, he did have a lot to work out before SM just made him jump into imprinting on Nessie. And thank you for helping prove my point on the ending of the book. She doesn't just have to keep writing from Bella's POV, as we already know thanks to Midnight Sun. She has several different characters now to where she can expand the whole saga. I will admit, I'm not too keen on the idea of a book from Leah's POV, but there definitly are several characters to further out the whole saga if SM wanted to.

RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

holdingoutforjacob wrote: Well, to be fair, this was what she originally planned for Jacob, but that was before Eclipse and New Moon, when all he and Bella knew of each other was what happened in Twilight. He had never been in love with her, none of that had ever happened. I think she was too rigid with her original ending. The story changed, so did the characters, why shouldn't the end?
That is what I think my issue is with Jake imprinting on Nessie is. In the original ending I would have been more open to this imprint, but things and people change and it makes it seem that the love Jake had for Bella wasn't for who she was, but for her fudging egg.

With the way Breaking Dawn ended, Bella and Edward's story is over, and can't go anywhere, but there are other options to continuing it. Personally I'd rather that Jake and Nessie don't end up married with kids because that route taken is a copout, IMO, and just too easy for both of them.

holdingoutforjacob wrote:He was focusing his center around Bella, and didn't have anything that was just his to fall back on, to throw himself into to take his mind off things. If he'd left and built something for himself with his life, then came back and dealt with his issues with Bella, it would have been better. Or even worked through them on his own is fine.
That woulda been better for a lot of the characters involved, IMO. Jake, Bella, and Edward were still getting over the drama that came with their relationships, and here Jake is putting himself into another circle of drama. Had he gone off and gotten better over the rejection that came from Bella choosing Edward, I may have been more open to the imprint. Again, it seems like Jake was in love with Bella for her egg, and not her.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Umm, well, the Jake and Bella egg/imprint thing is something that really bugs me. I can see how it would come off that way, but I don't think that's it. It goes against so many things that SM has said.

Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

Didn't SM say herself that Jacob was never attracted to Bella for her egg? Like someone else said, Bella's egg wasn't the only thing that made up Nessie, he would also be attracted to Edward in this case as well. So case in point, Jacob imprinted on Nessie once he saw her, not when she was an egg