Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Jacob and Nessie

Post by The Dark Knight »

Pendragon wrote:
tennisnutter wrote:Jacob and Renesmee...is creepy. Putting aside the age difference. I can deal with the 17 (?) year age difference because it can work under the right circumstances. Celine Dion and her husband for example.

However, I can't stand the thought of a 17 year old falling in love with an infant (who isn't even old enough to have a personality yet) and that infant is being raised with the expectation/pressure that she will eventually have a relationship with Jacob, no question. I hate how her choice was essentially taken away from her at birth and how "big brother/uncle Jacob" will eventually become "my boyfriend/husband, Jacob". Does not compute. =/

I think I just have a problem with imprinting in general.
I too do not like the Jake/Nessie relationship, but I think Jake get's the short end of the stick not Nessie. I mean Jake will be whatever Nessie wants him to be for her and she can still choose who she wants to be with. She will defiantly not be pressured into loving him like a lover. In the end she has control over him.

Pretty cruel ending for SM supposed love character...To quote RPatz, "I'm a tool, I'm a tool for her." Well something like that... :lol:

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

The Dark Knight wrote:
I too do not like the Jake/Nessie relationship, but I think Jake get's the short end of the stick not Nessie. I mean Jake will be whatever Nessie wants him to be for her and she can still choose who she wants to be with. She will defiantly not be pressured into loving him like a lover. In the end she has control over him.

Pretty cruel ending for SM supposed love character...To quote RPatz, "I'm a tool, I'm a tool for her." Well something like that... :lol:[/quote]

I know tell me about it. Just when you think she couldn't put him through worse. :lol:
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Post by mary »

Honestly, BD is my fav book, and Nessie was one of the big reasons. I could never picture Jacob w/ anybody else but 2 be apart of Bella's family...he was always meant to be apart of her family. I will admit, at one point, when Jacob broke from the tribe and Leah followed him because of her brother Seth following Jacob, and Leah and Jacob started getting to know eachother more, I thought maybe they're relationship would expand, but Jacob didn't really care for Leah much throughout the whole book. Nobody in the pack enjoyed her becoming a werewolf and Leah constantly would think of the whole Sam/Emily situation to make the pack feel bad, and Jacob couldn't stand that...yea, once they broke from the pack they started tlkin more and getting along, but Leah was still the same Leah, she still complained, and Jacob couldn't stand her complaining, and at first he didn't even like the idea of her following him, so I don't think Leah and Jacob would've ever worked out.
As far as Jacob imprinting on Nessie being weird, once u think about it, it's not all that weird afterall. True, she is an infant, but for how long? She's also half-vamp., so she doesn't grow like a human child would, i.e. instead of taking almost a yr to say 1 word, she starts kinda tlkin after like a wk or so. So how long truly would it take her to become full grown, or as old as she's gonna get because that was never mentioned. As far as Jacob's age, yes he's 17 (or however old he was @ the end), but as Jacob told Bella when Quin imprinted on a baby, when they're werewolves, they don't age...Jacob could stay 17 forever if he wanted to, and since he's gonna be around his sworn enemies the rest of his life, I doubt he's gonna age, so Jacob'll stay the same age, and Nessie will age for awhile, and at the rate Nessie ages, it won't take that long til Jacob and Nessie are if not the exact same age, pretty close to the same age.
And overall, Nessie is special, and Jacob being "prince" of his tribe is special too, so who would be better for eachother. And neither would have to keep secrets about their world to the one they love because they both live in that world. Plus, Nessie would be the most cared for, and most protected child, and in the end she will have a choice, she doesn't necessarily have to love him, Jacob will just be there for her, and if she chooses him, he'll be there.

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

mary wrote:Honestly, BD is my fav book, and Nessie was one of the big reasons. I could never picture Jacob w/ anybody else but 2 be apart of Bella's family...he was always meant to be apart of her family. I will admit, at one point, when Jacob broke from the tribe and Leah followed him because of her brother Seth following Jacob, and Leah and Jacob started getting to know eachother more, I thought maybe they're relationship would expand, but Jacob didn't really care for Leah much throughout the whole book. Nobody in the pack enjoyed her becoming a werewolf and Leah constantly would think of the whole Sam/Emily situation to make the pack feel bad, and Jacob couldn't stand that...yea, once they broke from the pack they started tlkin more and getting along, but Leah was still the same Leah, she still complained, and Jacob couldn't stand her complaining, and at first he didn't even like the idea of her following him, so I don't think Leah and Jacob would've ever worked out.
As far as Jacob imprinting on Nessie being weird, once u think about it, it's not all that weird afterall. True, she is an infant, but for how long? She's also half-vamp., so she doesn't grow like a human child would, i.e. instead of taking almost a yr to say 1 word, she starts kinda tlkin after like a wk or so. So how long truly would it take her to become full grown, or as old as she's gonna get because that was never mentioned. As far as Jacob's age, yes he's 17 (or however old he was @ the end), but as Jacob told Bella when Quin imprinted on a baby, when they're werewolves, they don't age...Jacob could stay 17 forever if he wanted to, and since he's gonna be around his sworn enemies the rest of his life, I doubt he's gonna age, so Jacob'll stay the same age, and Nessie will age for awhile, and at the rate Nessie ages, it won't take that long til Jacob and Nessie are if not the exact same age, pretty close to the same age.
And overall, Nessie is special, and Jacob being "prince" of his tribe is special too, so who would be better for eachother. And neither would have to keep secrets about their world to the one they love because they both live in that world. Plus, Nessie would be the most cared for, and most protected child, and in the end she will have a choice, she doesn't necessarily have to love him, Jacob will just be there for her, and if she chooses him, he'll be there.
Well one of the main basic reasons why people saw Jacob imprinting on Nessie was because it was a 17 year old seeing a new born baby as his soul mate, just like the same problem with Quil/Claire. Sure Nessie will be as mature in a few years and sure Jacob doesn't see her like that and will be whatever he wants her to be and she won't be pressured, but in the end it still creeped out a lot of people that his soul mate was in the form of a newborn baby, and not just that but the baby of the girl he loved and her husband who was his rival in love. Another thing is that people can't help but feel than Nessie was nothing more than a cheap plot device for not only giving Jacob his happy ending but patching things up with Bella, rather he find those things on his own and have better character development. I'll admit I wanted to see Jacob imprint at first but then I realized it cheapened his character and would put his development to a complete halt. Jacob and Leah hated each other at first, but when Leah went to Jake's pack to get away from Sam they started to connect more and understood each other and realize they had a lot more in common. They formed a special understanding for one another. A lot of people saw this a potential for a relationship. Even SM herself was surprised how their relationship was developing. What disappointed people was how she had Jacob imprint for the sake of the plot and not pair him with Leah. Whether they became lovers or just stayed friends I was fine either way.
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mary »

Yeah, I understand where people are coming from with that. I can understand how Jacob imprinting on Nessie upset some people, I was just saying why it didn't bother me. True, SM could have developed a different relationship for him, but at the same time, I really couldn't see it any other way. From the very beginning Jacob was destined to be apart of Bella's life. I mean, yea, Nessie is the daughter of Jacob's love and his sworn enemy, but sometimes love works that way...sometimes you fall in love w/ somebody that nobody would expect you to fall in love w/, that goes against enemies and all that. That's just the way I see it, but I can understand how other people can see it the other way..that it wasn't right, shouldn't have happened, should've developed something else for him...I understand all that. I, personally, couldn't see him w/out being in Bella's life, though. And, to me, it couldn't have been a more perfect way for that to happen then for him to love her daughter, even though, Bella's daughter technically should've been his sworn enemy, too, since she was part vamp.

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Except he didn't fall in love with her. He imprinted on her. And that, my friend, makes all the difference.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mary »

Imprint or no imprint Jacob still loves her, that's what I'm trying to say. He may not have fallen in love w/ her, technically, but he still loves her.

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Right, but no one was ever questioning that. People don't hate it because he doesn't love her, people hate it because he's forced to love her, forced to be with her, and the actual imprinting was a cheap fix to a lot of issues and resentments that he needed to work through on his own. It was a minor character's ending given to a main character.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mary »

I understand that. I understand how others have viewed it, how it was a cheap fix to a lot of problems, and, honestly I agree w/ that side of it. Yes, before it was ended just like that, he should have been able to heal from the pain he got from Bella not loving him back in the way he loved her, I completely agree. It was a rather cheap fix for him to just imprint on Bella's daughter. All I'm saying is in the end, I liked the how he imprinted on her. If you just take that, him and Nessie, don't involve anything else...I like that Jacob imprinted on her. Was there issues that needed to be resolved between Jacob, Edward, and Bella before Jacob imprinted on Nessie? Oh, yes, there definitly was, I completely agree with that part of it. I think that whole time they were practically closed up in the Cullens house while Bella was pregnant, Bella, Edward, and Jacob should've been resolving the issues instead of acting all buddy buddy for the most part. Then, when Nessie was born, the issues would've been basically resolved ( I mean, yes, of course, even then, Jacob would've had some healing to do, cuz let's face it, when you love someone as much as he loved Bella, and then that person winds up turning into something that your supposed to hate, it hurts and it takes awhile to get over that kind of pain.) and the whole issue on Jacob imprinting on Nessie wouldn't have seemed as much of a cheap way to get over the issue as it was ending it the way it was ended. Even so, what I've been trying to say this whole time is ignore that, ignore the cheap fix issue, and just think strictly on Jacob and Nessie themselves...I think it's a match made in heaven (except for her being a baby and all). :D

vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I agree. I personally don't have a problem with the fact that Jacob imprinted on Nessie because she's a baby. I have a problem with it because it seemed like SM was taking the easy way out. I completely understand that Jacob doesn't think of Nessie in a romatic way right now. He will be whatever she needs him to be and while that doesn't seem completely fair to him, it will work out in the end. What bothers me is that Sm doesn't seem to have put a lot of thought into how jacob would end up. It's just like at the end she was like hmm...what should we do with Jacob? Ok I'll have Bella have a baby so he'll have someone to imprint on. It just didn't seem like she put the thought that Jacob deserved into it.