General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
be my escape
Totally Inside Jacob's Mind

Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

Post by be my escape »

Discuss the family dynamic between Edward, Bella and Nessie. Did Edward's behavior surprise you? What about Bella's?
IrishTea
Settled in Forks

Re: Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

Post by IrishTea »

To be honest - I wanted to see a lot more of Edward's parenting. Bella was definitely there a lot, but I felt we saw more Jacob parenting Nessie than Edward. I always pictured Edward to be absolutely doting on his children.
thanks to dmscranton & tushtush
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by museicalking »

they're awesome as a family, but we didnt see much of edward as parent life irishtea said. bella was definitely there and jacob too. but i cant complain, we didnt see 3 days of parenting when bella was transforming. and also, we only saw what bella could- whats to say that he wasnt fatherly when she wasnt looking.
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3
Our Icy Affection
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Our Icy Affection »

Hmmmmm... I don't think Edward was ready for a family. You know how the children frozen forever, how they were frozen at their age and couldn't learn even though they tried to teach 'em. See, I don't think Edward really wanted kids before he was changed. He was only 17. He might not have wanted them because of his age. So maybe that is why edward wasn't a really great father, in our eyes.

Of course, maybe Edward isn't really supportive of Renesmee because she technically killed the thing he loved-Bella. She said she maybe wanted to go to Dartmouth, delaying her vampire changing-ness by a few months, years, etc. But then he felt bad because he made a baby that was killing Bella slowly and painfully. And then when Bella gave birth, he really had to change her. She technically died then. So maybe he's not that great of father because he doesn't really truly love his daughter as much as he should.

But then again, we're seeing through Bella's eyes. And Bella is busy focusing on making love to Edward for the rest of eternity and nurturing Renesmee and fighting off the evil Volturi. She doesn't really pay attention to how Edward takes care of Renesmee, if you know what i mean.
~The name's Affection, Our Icy Affection, but you can call me Icy for short~
FrostyJasper
Wandering Through Town

Post by FrostyJasper »

Honestly...I don't like how Bella and Edward have a child now. It seems that Bella was slightly neglecting Edward once Nessie came. And now Bella is like super mom...it just doesn't fit. I don't know...just my opinion.
ImageImage
BlueOrchid
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by BlueOrchid »

I thought he was pretty doting on his daughter. We could have seen more, but the scene where Edward hears Nessie's thoughts really showed Edward's fatherly side. That was a really sweet moment where Edward loves his daughter unconditionally. I think it just seems that we see less of Edward since it's Bella's POV.
roxyrae
Settled in Forks

Post by roxyrae »

I am so happy that they had a baby (I had read all human fanfics where that happened before Breaking Dawn and was sad because I wanted it to happen and then sure enough it did and I was thrilled), I love Renesmee and I really like how we get to see another side of Bella. I am also happy that Edward has a child, whenever I thought of his character I have seen him as someone who would want to have kids, I don't know maybe thats just me but I imagined him to be one great father. I am honestly not suprised that Bella wanted to keep the baby and act the way she does around her because Bella has already experienced taking care of people (like hwo she was like a parent to Renee sometimes and she took care of Charlie) and she loved Renesmee so I wouldn't expect her to act any other way.

Now onto Edward.
IrishTea wrote:To be honest - I wanted to see a lot more of Edward's parenting. Bella was definitely there a lot, but I felt we saw more Jacob parenting Nessie than Edward. I always pictured Edward to be absolutely doting on his children.
You took the words out of my mouth!!! I would have loved to read more of Edward as a father because like I said two seconds ago I can see him being a really cute amazing father. I was really disappointed that Jacob seemed to be more of a father then Edward, in my mind I thought that Edward would be very protective to Nessie and be around and be a father but that is what I saw JAcob doing. I don't mind that Jacob was with her because that is what happens with imprinting but I just would have liked to see less with him and Nessie and more father daughter moments with Edward (I would have loved seeing some tender family moments). I totally understand why he behaved the way he did at Isle Esmee because he loves Bella so much and he thought that Renesmee would just kill her so he did what he thought would protect her. I initally was like "Edward would want this baby and should be happy" but when looking at his character his reaction is perfect because he only wants to protect Bella. Thoughout the pregnancy the true Edward was still there, I almost cried when he told Jacob to offer to give Bella a child and the way he was so torn up.
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

FrostyJasper wrote:Honestly...I don't like how Bella and Edward have a child now. It seems that Bella was slightly neglecting Edward once Nessie came. And now Bella is like super mom...it just doesn't fit. I don't know...just my opinion.
You know..I actually kind of agree with you. Yeah it is a sweet aspect to the story and all, but I don't really see them as being a family. Regardless that Edward has lived over a 100 years, he is still a 17 year old boy for one and while he has a wealth of knowledge, I just don't think the maturity is entirely there. I don't really see him as being the fatherly type...and of course now Bella is "frozen in time" as well..Before she was changed, I didn't really picture her as the kind to be as motherly as she was, especially during her pregnancy. The whole situation was a very iffy thing for me as I was reading BD and to me seemed to be a bit of a stretch as some points.
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

FrostyJasper wrote:Honestly...I don't like how Bella and Edward have a child now. It seems that Bella was slightly neglecting Edward once Nessie came. And now Bella is like super mom...it just doesn't fit. I don't know...just my opinion.
Um...ya. that's how I felt while I was reading it. It was like, now the only thing that means anything to her is Nessie, and that was kind of sad for me. I don't know. I guess I have a case of jealousy in favor of Edward, because I thought that he was almost out of Bella's mind for quite a while.

However, now that I've had time to fully digest everything that happened, I now believe that perhaps Bella had a bit of a reason behind her thinking about Nessie so much. I mean, some of us know what its like to be a parent, but then again, some of us (such as myself) don't know that kind of relationship between mother and child. I think that she still thought about Edward, but she had (and still has) to share her love with someone else. Before, all of everything in her life was devoted to Edward, and now she has to expand her heart and give some of that to Nessie.

I don't know, even though I do think that, I still have a soft spot for Edward, and think that he needs more attention. ;)
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

urcoolcarrie wrote:
However, now that I've had time to fully digest everything that happened, I now believe that perhaps Bella had a bit of a reason behind her thinking about Nessie so much. I mean, some of us know what its like to be a parent, but then again, some of us (such as myself) don't know that kind of relationship between mother and child. I think that she still thought about Edward, but she had (and still has) to share her love with someone else. Before, all of everything in her life was devoted to Edward, and now she has to expand her heart and give some of that to Nessie.

I don't know, even though I do think that, I still have a soft spot for Edward, and think that he needs more attention. ;)

I also think that the fact that now that she knows Rosalie's background, having Nessie was a true blessing because once she was turned, she would never be able to have biological children. So if you think about it, Nessie is kind of their miracle child..For both Edward and Bella, what could have been more special thing than to have a child with a person you are madly in love with when you thought that it could never be possible? It was again a bit of a stretch to me, but still a very touching addition to the saga.