General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
X-X-Burn-It-Down-X-X
Wandering Through Town

Re: Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

Post by X-X-Burn-It-Down-X-X »

When Bella became pregnant, I was extremely dissapointed, most love stories ended that way and it just upset me, plus I couldn't relate to her anymore. In the other three books I felt like I was there and I could understand Bella and sympathize and agree with her thoughts and feelings, but in BD I couldn't, it was just like reading any other story, only I knew who the characters were. Edward to me is not the Father type, of course he'd make an amazing one because he's pretty much perfect, but he doesn't seem like the kind of person who wanted kids. Bella to me seemed stupid to have a child, but hey that's just my opinion. The fact Jacob cares for Renesmee more, proves Edward wasn't ready for a child, and as sweet as Nessie is, I feel the book would have been better if Bella had never got pregnant and there was more of a story line. Don't get me wrong I love the book, just they don't seem like a family to me :P
It's not faith if you use your eyes.
NKistheshiz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by NKistheshiz »

I was disappointed as well. It kind of weirded me out, because he's a vampire. And how the thing just kept growing...*shivers* it just grossed me out. Whenever I read BD and Edward or Bella calls Nessie "our daughter" it just sounds so weird to me.
Inquisitive and thoughtful,
she was the challenge he'd been waiting for;
a reminder that creativity runs deep like secrets.
TheCullenBoysAreMine
Settled in Forks

Post by TheCullenBoysAreMine »

i realllllly wish they would've shown more Edward/Nessie or Edward/Bella/Nessie moments in BD but like others have said its from Bella's p.o.v....i think that Edward ADORES Renesmee but doesn't show it as much as the others.i also think that he will b a very protective and doting 'daddy' for her.(ok my heart just about melted when she called him daddy)lol
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me, I wanted to say.I've tried.
Oh and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
keep it light.

Bella and Edward,Midnight Sun.
Cymbrelynn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Cymbrelynn »

I was actually pretty satisfied with the family dynamic. I think there's plenty evidence that Edward is a doting father. When Bella first asks about Renesmee she notes that Edward speaks of her it's with the reverence due to a god and she gets the memory from Renesmee of Edward singing to her while Bella was changing. When he gives her the mp3 player with all of his favorite songs. It really never came off to me at all like Edward was a neglectful father. So much of Book 3 of Breaking Dawn is wrapped up in worry and preparation for the showdown and that it just didn't fit to show all these tender moments. After the book ends I can just see the three of them so happy together in the cottage in the woods.
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

I would like to see more of the family dynamic. I agree that I have a hard time seeing Edward as a father and Bella as a mother, just because I was so used to seeing Edward and Bella as two people in love. But I definitely think Edward would be an amazing father. I am sure she would have him wrapped around her little finger. I would love to see more of it. I would have loved just one more chapter (or a hundred more, but beggars can't be choosers) to see what their lives were like once everything settled down. I would love to have seen quiet moments between Edward, Bella and Nessie. I think then we would have gotten more of a feel for Edward and Bella as parents and seen the family dynamic.
Twilightgroupie
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilightgroupie »

I was reading your post and agree with so many.
In BD, I felt like Edward took a back seat to Nessie and Jacob and Bella and somehow got lost in the baby story line. And Jacob sort of took over that book. I also wanted to see more of Edward as a father, because I think he, honestly, even more than Bella would be a good parent. He is over 100 years old, even if he was vamperized at age 17. He had such capacity to love, many people. His relationship to Nessie seemed unlike him, very removed and distant. There were a few tender moments, but I kept wanting to see that dynamic of the relationship with his daughter.
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

IrishTea wrote:To be honest - I wanted to see a lot more of Edward's parenting. Bella was definitely there a lot, but I felt we saw more Jacob parenting Nessie than Edward. I always pictured Edward to be absolutely doting on his children.
I completely agree. Since Jacob imprinted on Renesme, he becomes her guardian and was definitely overprotective (but in a good way), probably more protective than Edward himself. You could see Edward was there for her, but you didn't get to see much of his parenting skills. I would love to read more about how Bella, Edward, Nessie, and Jacob turn out, but I think it would ruin how "Breaking Dawn" ended.
vampirechick101
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by vampirechick101 »

I think that Bella and Edward are finally going to be happy in their own cottage and live their life together just like it should be.
Bella's attitude did surprice me because she went from honemoon mood ;) to mom in a few days lenght
Edward's kind of did because I thought that he would at least be a little happy..I mean he's having a baby and as usual his protective side got the better of him and actually drove him kind of crazy until after the baby was born and he fell under Renesmee's charm that everything fell into place :D
JACKHAMMER OPERATOR OF THE EDC! EMMETT'S DEMOLITION CREW WOOT WOOT!
Team Rosalie!~ every rose has it's thorns.
Mimi1=My Twi-Twin
You.Are.Not.Leaving.Me- Ian O'Shea<3 *sigh*
darkdreamer
Settled in Forks

Post by darkdreamer »

i think bella, edward and nessie make the perfect family. i was annoyed bout jacob always trying to take nessie from bella and edward. i know in the book it doesnt meation that much of edward's parenting but i think thats because of jacob. he should get his own life
Spunk&StewartLover<3
Settled in Forks

Post by Spunk&StewartLover<3 »

roxyrae wrote:I am so happy that they had a baby (I had read all human fanfics where that happened before Breaking Dawn and was sad because I wanted it to happen and then sure enough it did and I was thrilled), I love Renesmee and I really like how we get to see another side of Bella. I am also happy that Edward has a child, whenever I thought of his character I have seen him as someone who would want to have kids, I don't know maybe thats just me but I imagined him to be one great father. I am honestly not suprised that Bella wanted to keep the baby and act the way she does around her because Bella has already experienced taking care of people (like hwo she was like a parent to Renee sometimes and she took care of Charlie) and she loved Renesmee so I wouldn't expect her to act any other way.

Now onto Edward.
IrishTea wrote:To be honest - I wanted to see a lot more of Edward's parenting. Bella was definitely there a lot, but I felt we saw more Jacob parenting Nessie than Edward. I always pictured Edward to be absolutely doting on his children.
You took the words out of my mouth!!! I would have loved to read more of Edward as a father because like I said two seconds ago I can see him being a really cute amazing father. I was really disappointed that Jacob seemed to be more of a father then Edward, in my mind I thought that Edward would be very protective to Nessie and be around and be a father but that is what I saw JAcob doing. I don't mind that Jacob was with her because that is what happens with imprinting but I just would have liked to see less with him and Nessie and more father daughter moments with Edward (I would have loved seeing some tender family moments). I totally understand why he behaved the way he did at Isle Esmee because he loves Bella so much and he thought that Renesmee would just kill her so he did what he thought would protect her. I initally was like "Edward would want this baby and should be happy" but when looking at his character his reaction is perfect because he only wants to protect Bella. Thoughout the pregnancy the true Edward was still there, I almost cried when he told Jacob to offer to give Bella a child and the way he was so torn up.
Exactly. I personally thought that stephenie made jacob more of the "Farther" figure. I mean there were moments in breaking dawn where edward was quite fatherly. But i would have loved to see him more as the protective, loving father. I mean maybe edward felt intimidated by jacob & renesmees relationship.

But also i never really pictured bella as a mom. But she turned out to such a loving and protective mother. Its quite sweeet!

But overall im super glad they had a baby. I couldnt imagine breaking dawn without renesmee. I just love her!! Such a beautiful family huh?!
Image Image Image

Worlds Cutest " Someday" Couple!