General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
future_mrs_cullen
Settled in Forks

Re: Edward, Bella, and Nessie as a family

Post by future_mrs_cullen »

Edward clearly adored Nessie. He just fear losing Bella. He didn't want to risk her for something that he may not be able to keep. He knew the Volturi would find out about Nessie eventually... he had to have known that.
...And they lived happily ever after.

THE END
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

One of my favorite moments in Breaking Dawn happens on page 592. This moment shows just how much Edward cares for Renesmee, in my opionion. And, it shows just how good of a father he is.

Edward is talking about Renesmee to the Denali coven and the following exchange takes place:
"We're just looking for witnesses. If we can make them pause, just for a moment. If they would let us explain..." He touched Renesmee's cheek; she grabbed his hand and held it pressed against her skin. "It's difficult to doubt our story when you see it for yourself."
That little paragraph shows just how much love Edward has for Renesmee. I don't think there's any doubt. I just don't think we get to see his fatherly side very often because he's busy with Carlisle trying to figure out how much time Renesmee has. Remember, until the Volturi threat, they were researching old legends to figure out how to prepare for the outcome of Renesmee's life. I think Edward loves Renesmee more than anything and by touching Renesmee's cheek in that moment, it becomes the most apparent thing in the world.
Last edited by jenni_elyse on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

IrishTea wrote:To be honest - I wanted to see a lot more of Edward's parenting. Bella was definitely there a lot, but I felt we saw more Jacob parenting Nessie than Edward. I always pictured Edward to be absolutely doting on his children.

I agree, he didn't seem (Edward) to take much of a parenting interest in Renesmee. Bella and Jacob seemed more concerned for Renesmee's life, and Edward just went along.
Nadia
Settled in Forks

Post by Nadia »

IrishTea wrote:To be honest - I wanted to see a lot more of Edward's parenting. Bella was definitely there a lot, but I felt we saw more Jacob parenting Nessie than Edward. I always pictured Edward to be absolutely doting on his children.
You are so right it seemed that Edward hardly did anything will Renesme.....well part of it is Jacops fault that he wont give them any alone time..........like the time that they went hunting Edward should have been there instead of Jacob
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

I just finished reading Breaking Dawn for the second time. And, at first, I wished I saw more time between Edward and Renesmee. But, I realized as I read it the second time through that I just didn't see it the first time through. There are so many instances where Edward has fatherly moments with Renesmee. My above post is one example and here is another from pages 722-723. (This is when Bella tells Renesmee to leave with Jacob during the Volturi threat.)
Renesmee reached for Edward, andhe took her in his arms. They hugged each other tightly.... Edward kissed Renesmee's forehead and both her cheeks, then he lifted her to Jacob's shoulder.
And then on page 740 after the Volturi threat, the following exchange happens:
And I half-climbed the giant russet wolf to tip my daughter off his back and then crushed her to my chest. Edward's arms were around us in the same second.
I don't think there's any denying that Edward loves Renesmee just as much as he loves Bella. It's very evident when you look for it. ;)
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Alice's_Guineapig.x
Settled in Forks

Post by Alice's_Guineapig.x »

The family idea has grown on me! I didn't like the nickname "Nessie" at all at first! Thought Renesmee is a bit weird I like it, I was soo on Bella's side. Who would nickname a baby after the Loch Ness Monster!!! - Ha Ha it sounds so funny, but Nessie is kinda cool now I think of it. That too has grown on me!.x
"And I'm a virgo!" - Bella Cullen (Calling her that is so cool!.x)

"Ow!" - Edward Cullen

I love it, love it!..x
leahlovetwilight
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by leahlovetwilight »

edward as a parent was so cool.
it seemed like just as with bella,
his heart belonged to two people,
but it grew rather then split.
"when i got home,all my things were in the garage."-edward cullen
he's probably thinking,love sick morons
porschejacker XD
Wandering Through Town

Post by porschejacker XD »

"Or the song Edward had crooned to her that was so perfect Renesmee played it for me twice."
I think that that is one of the cutest things ever and I could totally picture Edward doing that. It's such a sweet image and its very fatherly in a way cause I used to get sung to sleep when I was a baby. Awww.
Me and my friends keep finding new ways to hurt ourselves so we can check out whether or not our doctor sparkles in the sunlight...
KeepMeWithYou
Wandering Through Town
Location: In the City of Nothing with my Dhampir, Xavier, and his human Ally

Post by KeepMeWithYou »

I would have liked to see more parenting too, I mean we saw Bella and how great she was, but it was mostly Jake. Sure Jacob imprinted on Nessie, but it felt as if Jake kinda stole the show from Edward. As if it was Jake's baby instead of Edward's...for me, in some moments of the book, it felt as if Edward was given both a child and a chance to spend forever with his wife, but unable to spend quaility time with his daughter because Jake was there. Not that it was a huge deal but still...it's difficult to explain.
BlueOrchid wrote:I thought he was pretty doting on his daughter. We could have seen more, but the scene where Edward hears Nessie's thoughts really showed Edward's fatherly side. That was a really sweet moment where Edward loves his daughter unconditionally.

He probably did parent some but I felt like there should have been more Edward/Nessie moments that Bella or Jake should have witnessed (since the book was told in thier POVs) But, thinking it over, there were small moments that showed that Edward loved Nessie uncondionally, as he loves Bella.
It was just an issue, I guess, with "quantity versus quaility" time. Both Jake and Edward had thier moments with Bella and Nessie, even though some were very brief.
BlueOrchid wrote:I think it just seems that we see less of Edward since it's Bella's POV.
Yes, that might have been the reason why. :roll: Why didn't I think of that? :lol:

Thats my two cents. :)
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

I really like them as a family. I'm reading for the second time Breaking Dawn and there are fatherly moments for Edward and Nessie, but as someone cleverly pointed, We see all from Bella's POV. But I can totally imagine Edward reading stories or even singing for Nessie sleeps. My only complaint it's that we rarely see the 3 of them alone. There is always someone else in the room. It's a pity, but it doesn't take the credit of Edward as a father, neither the 3 of them as a family.
Last edited by Lunna-san on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.