General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lioness Rampant
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Jacob's Book

Post by Lioness Rampant »

I agree with most of what you said, Lynzeee!
I really loved Jake in NM. in Eclipse, he turned into a jerk, though... he totally was AWESOME in BD!!! OMj, it was so much of a relief, I thought!
ColormeBSG
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

i am actually, surprisingly, glad that jacob got his say. i used to dispise his character, but now i see where he is coming from. no, he is nowhere near edward, but i don't hate him anymore. he is more of a real person to me. i'm glad that i got to see things from jacobs eyes so that i could finally understand him.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
Lioness Rampant
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Lioness Rampant »

Amen!
ColormeBSG
jacob-rox-my--sox
Learning to Love Green

Post by jacob-rox-my--sox »

jacobs book was really enjoyable
a couple have people said that they saw that it was from jacobs perspective and stopped reading which was silly!

but jacobs book covered some really key ponts in the story plus his chapter titles were great!
aprilshowers
Settled in Forks

Post by aprilshowers »

I agree with most of the things people ahve said about this book. I think it was my favourite part of the entire novel as I always had a soft spot for Jake and it was great to finally get inside his head.I think if you were Jake-hater before book two would have probably changed your opinion of him. After reading peoples posts about this book i realised how a lot of people like me found the insight into how the pack works fascinating. Of course I LOVED his interaction with Rosalie and the chapter titles. A lot of the time my heart was breaking for Jake and the book even changed my opinion of Leah a bit. I don't like her but I felt I understood why she acts the way she does. I felt pretty sorry for her.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Jacob really provides the needed comic relief in Breaking Dawn. I, personally, have always liked him. He has always had the rotten end of the deal, and I think he just handles it like any one of us would. I think it's natural that he is so bitter in the series. If he wasn't, he would be a much less believable character.

I think Jacob's book in Breaking Dawn finally lets everyone see what he's had to live through. It also helps to break up the monotony of the book. During the pregnancy Bella really gets a little insane, and I think that segment from her point of view wouldn't have made as much sense to the reader. Jacob is able to see the pregnancy experience from a outside standpoint which allows the reader to get a more well rounded picture.
Genevieve
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Genevieve »

yeah i loved to see things from jacob's point of view.
he just has this really good sense of humor. sometimes its good to just be rid of all the melodrama and stillness and be with jacob - which would mean you get to be with hyperactive little seth as well! :D
Tengo Nubs.
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: Fighting off all the chubies who want to steal her fictional men. ::cough::SAM&SHEL::cough::

Post by Tengo Nubs. »

I didn't look ahead through the chapters to see who narrated each book (unlike some people I know), so I was completely shocked when I got to book two and I was suddenly in Jacob's head. I don't know, it was kind of a weird transition for me because at the end of book one, you realize Bella is pregnant and in my head I was all, "OH MY GOD!! WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN?!?!?!" but then it abruptly shifts to Jacob and you don't get to immediately know what's going on with Bella. So yea, initial reaction was confusion and feeling a little bit peeved that I had to listen to Jacob when all I really wanted to know was what was going on with Bella and Edward.

But! Once I got into Jacob's section, I really loved seeing inside his head. Even though I was firmly an Edward lover, I always liked Jake because he was kind of like the best guy friend I wish I had, you know? So it was great for me to get to hear more of his snarky comments and see his sense of humor shine through even more. I mean, obviously there are some things he would never say to/around Bella, so I thought it was really fun to get the full extent of his personality. I also liked that we saw Bella's pregnancy through his eyes, because if Bella had narrated that part, I think I would have gotten sick with all the lovey-dovey baby stuff. (I know that sounds kind of horrible, but does anyone what I mean? For some reason I keep thinking that the book would have been narrated in a sort of perpetual baby-coo voice...or something. ha).

I also agree with whoever said Jacob provided the comic relief in Breaking Dawn. I don't know if I would have made it through the first half of the book if everything was always so tense all the time. Also why I was glad Edward didn't narrate book two, because we all know how depressing THAT would have been. Understandably depressing, granted, but depressing all the same.

I liked getting further insight into the wolf pack and how that all worked. I was really glad that Jacob decided to break off from Sam's pack and do what he thought was right in protecting Bella and the Cullens. I hated that Sam tried to make them do something they were so against (even though he had to be a strong leader, I understand) and making them cower at his feet. The two separate packs was definitely an unexpected twist that I didn't see coming. I like that Seth and Leah joined Jacob, too, because Seth just turned out to be this really funny character and Leah ended up not being the crazy ding dong the witch is dead which old witch the wicked witch I previously thought she was. Well, maybe crazy isn't the right word--bitter probably works better. Though, I'd probably act just like Leah if what had happened to her had happened to me. Anyway, the wolf pack dynamics was interesting for me to read.

Oh, I thought it was really interesting to see Edward through Jacob's point of view. I mean, in all of the other books, we only see Edward as this completely perfect guy because that's how Bella sees him. But with Jake, we got to see him as this guy who was desperately trying to keep the love of his life alive, even if it meant giving her up to someone else. It was crazy seeing the depth of Edward's pain because if it had been through Bella's eyes, he would obviously hide all of that from her. The expression that SM used--Edward as the burning man--was really powerful. I'm glad that Jake's relationship with Edward changed, too, as he started to see Edward not as the enemy but as the person who was willing to do anything for the person that they both loved. And, eventually, as someone who deserved Bella's love.

Lastly, I loved the chapter titles! My favorite one was probably "Too Much Information Alert" or something along those lines. Plus, the prologue was hilarious--Life sucks, then you die. The titles just summed up Jake's personality perfectly.
Sam and Shel <3 --Twinnies Randomness Regular. Addicted to the Brothers <3
Jazz<3Jasper
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Jazz<3Jasper »

I really liked Jacob point of view because he is such a lively and funny character that it make everything seem even more real than the rest of the book. The way her antagonizes Rose just cracks me up, but what I love more than that were the chapter titles, lol, the phrases were so much more interesting than just the one word chapter titles, and some of them even made me laugh before I started to read the chapter.
"No problem. You want me to be all doom and gloom, or just shut up?"
"Just shut up."
"Can do."
"Really? Doesn't seem like it."
-Jake and Seth
<333333333
Team Jasper, he can snap at me anyday.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

jacob-rox-my--sox wrote:a couple have people said that they saw that it was from jacobs perspective and stopped reading which was silly!
Are you serious? I'm sorry, but that just sounds absurd and irrational. Why would you not read something so pertinant to the story even if it is from Jake's perspective? Initially I wasn't happy to have to read from Jake's POV either because it seemed so inconvenient and I didn't want to deal with his anger and bitterness, but it turned out to be not-so-bad and rather entertaining. It just doesn't make sense to not read it, especially since there was so much to read.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B