General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pixiealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Jacob's Book

Post by pixiealice »

This was my favorite part of the book. I have never been a Jacob fan, until BD. I am so glad the pregnancy was in Jacob's POV and not Bella's, because I was ready to strangle her!! Seeing Edward's pain through Jacob was amazing...this was the beginning of their bonding. Jacob recognized Edward's grief. I don't think Bella ever did. Wasn't too sure about Jacob imprinting, but it made complete sense. Jacob turned out to be an outstanding character, one I hope to see more of. He matured and grew up, Thank Goodness!!
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

I've always loved Jake but his book firmly laminated me on the Team Wolf page. His book with it's hysterical chapter titles , his interactions with Rosalie, his honorable actions when taking on the pack, and the raw emotion of reading Bella's death through his eyes (while listening to My Never) just made me adore him even more.

I have several friends who don't like that the early days of B/E's marriage and the pregnancy were described through Jake's eyes and not Edward's. I think they are wrong. I think we would have missed so much of the emotion had it been described by Bella or Edward. Jake's description of Edward as the Burning Man was truly poignant. Whereas I think listening to Edward's mopey thoughts (or Bella's) would be just plain annoying.
chrissaay
Settled in Forks

Post by chrissaay »

i definitely loved jacob's book! i loved how even the title of each chapter was written differently than bella's books.. as if he's expressing his feelings even through that.
leahlovetwilight
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by leahlovetwilight »

his chapter names are hillarious. i love them. ok so.
before i read breaking dawn, i was completly team
edward. i still am. but still, i now hate jake less then
i ever have.he is now ok in my book.
"when i got home,all my things were in the garage."-edward cullen
he's probably thinking,love sick morons
Palena
Settled in Forks

Post by Palena »

I never hated Jacob in any part of the books (except for some parts when he was a jerk in Eclipse), but he really grew on me in this part of the book. Of course, the chapter titles were awesome (My favorite was the Wizard of Oz one, personally, though it is kind of depressing) but I really liked how he came into his inheritance and the interplay between him and the rest of his mini-pack.

There were some really shocking parts, of course. Like when he was talking to Edward. You could tell that Edward was a man on the edge.

I'm glad Meyer switched to Jacob's point of view over Bella's or Edward's. I don't think I could stand knowing what Edward was thinking (depressing chapters like some parts in the middle of New Moon come to mind when I think of that *shudder*) and Bella's, as Meyer explained, wouldn't have been where the action was (with the wolves).
~Palena~
LaTuaCantante
Settled in Forks

Post by LaTuaCantante »

While this hasn't been my favorite part of the book so far, I loved the humor it brought to an otherwise depressing situation. Like the others said, there wouldn't have been much, but pain, to write from Bella and Edward's perspective.

But the parts I thought were so funny/interesting (besides the chapter titles, and Jacob & Roalie's interaction) was the fact that Edward could hear Jacob's thoughts. It would catch me by surprise! I would be all engrossed in Jacob's thoughts, reading from the narrator's perspective, and all the sudden Edward would have a reaction to what I was reading/feeling! I thought it was great that she tied in his reactions not to just the parts where Jacob was thinking something intentionally for Edward to hear, but to the times when Jacob's mind is wandering and suddenly Edward looks at him, or answers him out loud. Loved it!
jazjade
Wandering Through Town

Post by jazjade »

When I heard, before the book came out, that there would be more stuff from Jacob's point of view, I thought "Great, more Jacob (not happy)" Not that I don't love Jacob, but, I really wanted the conflict Jacob-Edward-Bella to end and move on to something else. But, as so many times before, Stephanie just upped everything another notch, and --wow-- the Jacob part was so good. Jacob is a little bit the voice of the truly human good guy, the real human in all of us, and hearing from Jacob's point of view makes us able to cry for Edward, hold our breath in fear for Bella's life, in ways we haven't been able to do before.

Plus, the chapter titles were a delight!

Also, it is another coming of age part of the story, with Jacob taking his place among the leaders of his people, Jacob moving forward in his life in so many major ways, with Leigh, with Edward and the Cullens, and especially with Nessie. Wow!
Pixelfox
Settled in Forks

Post by Pixelfox »

Jacob's book definitely gave me the chance to learn to appreciate him better. I've never really absolutely hated him - in fact, I liked that he helped Bella out when she wanted to do all that crazy stuff in New Moon since it drives me nuts that she's such a wimp about fast cars, etc. But, yeah, I'd been growing less and less fond of him since then, and this just elevated him back up to being respectable to me again. I'm glad that he and Bella were able to remain friends - maybe not quite like they were before, but that's probably a good thing, if you think about it. I think he was the character that was most developed in the last book. He's the only one that felt real to me, while the rest of them were kind of absent.
Formerly "Calli"
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

At first I was upset, because well, being the Bedward fan that I am, despised Jacob after Eclipse. But Jake grew on me. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't oggle over Jake the way I do over Edward but Jake isn't as horrible a character as I thought him to be. He's actually a sweet guy, the kind of guy that a tough girl needs. I loved his book and actually felt sorry for him in a way. So now, I'm officially changing to... Team Jawarella. hehe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

Jacob's book pretty much confirmed his awesomeness for me. It is my favorite part of BD. As I said before on the previous lex board, SM hit so many high notes with Book II. The way it veered from lol humor to intense pain/sadness was amazing. Jake not only retained his essential traits, but his character also grew over the course of the book.