General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Bella's Pregnancy

Post by debussygirl »

There are 23 pairs of human chromosomes and 25 for vamps, then 24 for wolves.
This is the one part that just doesn't make sense at all to me. I really wish it hadn't been put in.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

a lot of fans seems to be surprised by the pregnancy :? ... I mean what did you think would happen...
They love each other, they get married, they go on a honeymoon, they have sex (which could have been descriped in a bit more in detail... :twisted: ) and then....get a baby....
I thought that was how it is supposed to be....

I was a bit surprised to I must admit...I really didn't want a whole book about their trouble with the Volturi... but I had hoped for a bigger part about the honeymoon, wedding, ect... Bella getting pregnant was a pleasant surprise.
I was really annoyed with Edward and Bella at first, Edward always jumps to the wrong conclusion (thinking everything is dangerous before thinking things through ofcourse he was right in this case) he didn't ask Bella what she thought and wanted... they didn't talk at all!!!

Also I see people asking how could it have happened, I did that to at first...
I do have a medical education and was already thinking about a good explanation... then it hit me.
As much as I wished it was real, the story is still a fairy tale, a fantasy, everything can happen.... :P

I have to thank and blame SM for one thing....
I never ever wanted kids, it's not healthy for me as I am a heart patient, but reading about Bella and edward getting a love child, one that never cries, sleeps trough the night, ect, made me change my way I look at children...
now I'm not sure anymore.... thanx steph.. ;)
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
topfrog007
Settled in Forks

Post by topfrog007 »

I have been wondering the same thing? How can it be possible? No sperm and I haven't gotten passed twilight yet, so i'm not sure if she's a vampire while she's pregnant, but doesn't that contradict everything else?
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

I'm confused about the chromosome thing as well.

Bella = 23 pairs
Edward = 25 pairs

Bella's 23 chromosomes would pair up with 23 of Edwards chromosomes. Then there would be two separate chromosomes left over; they wouldn't pair up. I understand how she came up with 24 pairs of chromosomes for Nessie, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Following the rules, Nessie would have 23 pairs of chromosomes with 2 additional chromosomes left over. It may have been better if that was used; the two additional chromosomes would be her vampire traits since they came from Edward.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

marielle wrote:a lot of fans seems to be surprised by the pregnancy :? ... I mean what did you think would happen...
They love each other, they get married, they go on a honeymoon, they have sex (which could have been descriped in a bit more in detail... :twisted: ) and then....get a baby....
I thought that was how it is supposed to be....
Well, the surprise was we'd been told time and time again, in the books and by Stephenie herself, that vampires couldn't have children. What was meant was two vampires, and nothing was spoken about a vampire and a human. I'd always assumed Edward didn't have sperm. That's why it was a surprise. It was enforced into our heads that vampire partner=no baby.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

I think I was mainly shocked as I thought the story was going to be about Bella and Edward as husband and wife, on their own for a bit, not a new character coming in straight away. It felt too soon to be adding a baby to the pair and I felt cheated in a way that there wasnt any more story of just Bella and Edward.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
swedishskinjer
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by swedishskinjer »

Does this article about Breaking Dawn's story annoy anyone else with how it simplifies the plot?

Mod Edit: removed.
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

funkidiva wrote:I think I was mainly shocked as I thought the story was going to be about Bella and Edward as husband and wife, on their own for a bit, not a new character coming in straight away. It felt too soon to be adding a baby to the pair and I felt cheated in a way that there wasnt any more story of just Bella and Edward.
Totally agree! I wish SM had drawn it all out a bit more... but it would have been difficult to do.
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

The writer of that article Swedishskinjer is obviously not a Twilight fan and thinks sarcasm is the best form of humour. Cant believe how idiotic, stupid, dismissive and wrong the writer is.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Andreas_90
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Andreas_90 »

Eh, people like that... just no. It's like people saying the birth scene in Breaking Dawn promotes celibacy (overly prudent?) :roll:

In my opinion, the pregnancy part was brought in a bit too soon and put way too much emphazis on and then blown over too quickly (had I had it my way, they would've rmeoved the child and out it in some freakish tank with blood... but that's pretty gruesome). What surprised me about it... hmm... I guess it was the vampires-can-reproduce-with-humans thing. Vampires = dead? Or is it Vampires=mutated humans?