General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz<3Jasper
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: The Transformation

Post by Jazz<3Jasper »

Tengo Nubs. wrote: Second, I think someone mentioned that the part in Jacob's book where he says that he couldn't feel Bella's pull anymore so he leaves to leave Edward to work over her corpse was the most powerful part of the book for them and I have to say I fully concur. That moment was the one time in the entire book that I started crying. It was absolutely gut-wrenching for me to read that because I was so afraid that Bella really was dead. What would Edward have done if that was the case?! I can't even bear to think about it. I was so, so scared that book three was going to be narrated by Edward or Renesmee that I actually clapped my hand over it as soon as I turned to the last page of Jake's section and screamed, "No!" Actually, it was more of a strangled cry than a scream, as it was about four in the morning and everyone in my house was asleep. I really can't express how relieved and happy I was at the end of his section to read that he could hear a heart beat starting up again. That was literally a life-line for me because I was about to sink to into some very dark place.

I realized right away that Jacob had Imprinted on Nessie because as soon as Rose left with her Jacob felt an urge to follow, and so he did. I never thought for one second that Bella would ever die. And I love how the transformation ends.
"No problem. You want me to be all doom and gloom, or just shut up?"
"Just shut up."
"Can do."
"Really? Doesn't seem like it."
-Jake and Seth
<333333333
Team Jasper, he can snap at me anyday.
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

Through the entire transformation, I was crying my eyes out. When Jacob was ordered to keep pumping Bella's heart, I was so sure she was going to die. I could just see Edward frantically working on Bella, sobbing dry sobs the entire time, not letting himself believe that she was dead. Its so vivid in my brain, its like I was there, just standing on the sidelines, watching. Its so hard for me to accept that it wasn't real.

more later. my head just isn't working right now. :)
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

Tengo Nubs. wrote: First, like some other people have said, I kinda wanted the transformation to be more romantic, but I'm really satisfied with the way it turned out anyway. I'm just infinitely glad that SM didn't decide to wait until the very end of the book to change Bella--you know, something like "And then Edward placed his cool lips to the blushing heat of my throat for the last time. My forever was about to begin." THE END--so, all in all, I accepted the more dramatic change as a nice trade-off. Also, I agree with the people who've been saying it was better for Edward's sanity to have it happen this way because otherwise he would always blame himself for killing Bella. The fact that he HAD to save her life--something that he was always determined to do the many, many times it was threatened--allowed him to forget the fact that he might be taking away her soul or condemning her in any way.

Seriously, this is EXACTLY WHY I didn't read anything on the net about BD before it came out. Granted, I only had to wait 10 days because I had found the books so late. I can't imagine how these others felt having to wait a YEAR between Eclipse and BD!!!!! I'm beyond glad that the book didn't end with her transformation. I think that is the part that the fans had been waiting for for 3 years!!!
Sharenei
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sharenei »

Hmmm...

To be honest, I read all the books within two weeks of having started the first, so I guess I had no real expectations regarding the transformation. I wasn't even really expecting one until a friend tipped me off. (Do I care about spoilers? Not really, though in this case I wanted to make sure the rest of the series was worth reading.) Hubby's outlook was worse--he was expecting another tragic romance story. That the transformation was there at all was, in my opinion, one of the best parts of the book.

As for the method, I'm really quite thankful she decided to do that. Plot elements aside, it's not the usual last-minute lust/loathing episode I've often seen in other vampire-related mythos. While it DOES seem less personal, and at first glance not as effective as a direct-delivery bite, I like how the delivery affects the change. I'm still not entirely sure lying to Carlisle about the metamorphosis was wise; even if he had no intentions of changing another human, the interests of medical science are better served by honest observations--and Carlisle strikes me as the kind of guy who's equally interested in the further pursuit of medical knowledge as he is in the betterment of human and vampiric society as a whole. (Well, at least HIS vampiric society--anybody that willingly ties themselves to the Volturi, at this point, might be a bit of a lost cause. However, that discussion is for a different forum.)
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

This is more of a question regarding the Transformation, rather than my opinion on it...(although to sum it up short: I loved it)...my question regards the treaty with the Quilutes....All other information aside, and I don't have my copy of Twilight or New Moon handy to check it out....I can't remember exactly what the terms of the treaty were??? Does it matter how the human was killed by the Cullens? Because Edward didn't really bite Bella, right? He used his venom to seal her wounds (with the exception of using the syringe to put the venom in her heart)...I guess I'm confusing myself as I write this! LOL! Did the way Bella's death/transformation come about violate the treaty in any way? And if so, do you think the only reason there wouldn't be a battle between the two is because Jake imprinted on Renesmee? (I do remember Sam stating that they wolves wouldn't attack the family of the imprinted)...what are your opinions on that?
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

Stacia wrote:This is more of a question regarding the Transformation, rather than my opinion on it...(although to sum it up short: I loved it)...my question regards the treaty with the Quilutes....All other information aside, and I don't have my copy of Twilight or New Moon handy to check it out....I can't remember exactly what the terms of the treaty were??? Does it matter how the human was killed by the Cullens? Because Edward didn't really bite Bella, right? He used his venom to seal her wounds (with the exception of using the syringe to put the venom in her heart)...I guess I'm confusing myself as I write this! LOL! Did the way Bella's death/transformation come about violate the treaty in any way? And if so, do you think the only reason there wouldn't be a battle between the two is because Jake imprinted on Renesmee? (I do remember Sam stating that they wolves wouldn't attack the family of the imprinted)...what are your opinions on that?

Stacia... I understand your confusion. It took me 3 reads through the whole series to catch all the little details of the story. All of these questions are answered in the books, and I'll do my best...if someone else can put page #s or chapter #s, that would help.
1. Wolves (shapeshifters) are the natural enemies of the vampire. 70 years prior to "Twilight," Ephraim Black, Chief of the Quileutes, made a treaty with Carlisle. Carlisle insisted that his family of vampires were different from the other vampires because they didn't feed on humans- thus no need for fighting with the wolves. Ephraim told him that as long as the Cullens stay off their land, in essence, "don't hunt our people," then in turn, the Quileute wolves wouldn't hunt them. The term of the treaty was that the Cullens were not allowed to BITE, not just KILL, a human... in other words, they were not allowed to kill a human, or create another vampire.
2. Edward did bite Bella. There are clues in the stories of everyone's transformations in the series as to how the transformation goes. It's a very painful 3-day process. Edward tells Bella that it's easier to resist feeding during the process if the body is dying and the blood is weak. The more venom in the system, the faster it spreads through the body. Bella had 2 years to prepare for this process; as did Edward. Bella wanted him to be the one to change her, and no doubt Edward wanted it to be as "less painful" (I don't think there's a right word for it) as possible. Stabbing the venom into her heart was the best way to do this. He also bit her in several key places (main arteries and veins) to make the venom spread faster.
3. Bella's transformation did not violate the treaty. This is covered in Jacob's Book of Breaking Dawn. If you remember from Eclipse, Jacob tells Bella that he actually is the rightful Alpha of the wolf-pack, being the grandson of Ephraim Black... he did not "step up" when Sam (the Alpha) offered Alpha to him. When Bella became pregnant with Renesmee, no one on the vampire or wolf side knew what she was carrying. They knew it was half-vampire, so certainly it was dangerous. The Quileutes saw this as a violation of the treaty- creating another vampire, but not by biting a human. The wolves planned to attack the Cullens and destroy whatever Bella was carrying, but the only way to do this was to kill Bella, too. Jacob, loving Bella, refused to stand with the pack and fight the Cullens. He rebelled against Sam, claiming his rightful place as Alpha of the pack, but branched out on his own to protect the Cullens. Everyone knows that the baby is killing Bella, and I believe that Edward knew his only chance to save her would be after the baby was born... he was prepared with the syringe of venom. Edward spoke to Jacob and asked him as rightful leader of the pack for his permission to save Bella. Her transformation did not violate the treaty because Jacob as rightful Quileute Alpha "allowed" it... Bella was unique for the treaty... she WANTED the change... she wasn't a victim. The members of the wolf pack have that discussion with the elders of the tribe... they had never met anyone who wanted to become a vampire.
4. As far as no battle between the two... do you mean between the Cullens and the wolves, or between the two wolf packs? Renesmee is half-vampire, but she is not venomous, thus posing no threat to humans. She IS a Cullen, after all, and feeds on animals, not humans. She poses no danger, so why would the wolves attack even if she weren't Jake's imprintee? It just so happens that she is a Cullen AND the imprintee of the Alpha, making her untouchable. Plus, I think that both sides had earned the friendship and respect of the other side. Human life is the most precious thing on earth, and both the Quileutes and Cullens regard it. They got past their dislike for one another to band together to protect their own ways of life.
inlovewithmyJasper54
Learning to Love Green
Location: Florida - waiting for a Vampire to shine in the sunlight

Post by inlovewithmyJasper54 »

I think it would be interesting for her to scream about the pain. I was curious to how Edward might react to her reaction. (please don't think I like hearing about people in pain or something :? lol I just wondered what Edward could possible do.) Also, I was wondering if they ever let Nessie in to see her. I don't recall reading it in the book but I could have just forgotten :)
ImageImage
both made by... me! =) <3
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I kind of wished for a romantic thing like if they were on Isle Esme and he changed her and then after the 3 days she woke up the same way and no all newborny and they came back from the island and she was a vamp (yeah I know that would mean no Renesmee but I personally don't think that would be a bad thing.) The book would've been alot shorter but yeah I'm a sucker for romance.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
luvtwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by luvtwilight »

In responce to whoever was asking about Renesmee seeing Bella while she was transforming, (sorry, didn't look who made the comment before I responded) on page 468-469 of BD at the bottom of the page,it is when Bella is holding Renesmee and Renesmee is telling Bella about her day, it says "Or the song Edward had crooned to her that was so perfect Renesmee played it for me twice; I was surprised that I was in the background of that memory, perfectly motionless but looking fairly battered still. I shuddered, remebering that time from my own perspective. The hideous fire....." This to me implies that Edward had Renesmee with him for a while during that transformation bonding with his daughter.

I thought the transformation the way it was written was very sensual. Keeping in mind that Bella's blood sings for him and the fact that he hadn't hunted since Bella found out she was pregnant. (I am assuming this since he never left her side). Edward must have been in horrible physical pain as well as emotional at that time. He was desperate to save her and so he was able to focus but he would have tasted her blood while delivering the baby and while he was biting her to get the venom in as many places as possible. I think it shows just how deeply he loves her. How much he is willing to endure to be with her. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else but that's how I see it.
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

I was glad to get to see Bella transform. I was afraid that we wouldn't get details of her changing and her afterward. I was fine with her transformation. Some people thought her being a newborn was to easy. I think it is about time Bella had an easy time with things. She has gone through some really bad and dangerous stuff to be with Edward. She went through a horrific pregnancy to bring her child in the world... she deserved a break!!!! It made sense that she would be more prepared for her life as a newborn, she had Edward/Nessie's/and the Cullen's love to keep her motivated. She has always been stronger than she (or anyone) gives her credit for.
I liked the fact of how hard Edward was working to try and save her. He was desperately working to keep her heart going long enough to give the venom he was instilling into her. You could feel the tension and desperation as he worked!! Ahhh...
It says a lot about Bella how she kept quite during her transformation. She didn't want her love to know the pain she was going through, because she knew he would blame himself. That would hurt him knowing what he did caused her pain... even if that kept her from dying (for good at least!).
I loved it!!!! I love the responses others have said!!!
ImageImage