General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sophieet
Wandering Through Town

Re: The Transformation

Post by sophieet »

I understand what you mean, but Bella would never tell him. She knows it would upset him if he knew that and she's all for the whole pretending she's happy when she's not attitude. :lol: To quote the film, she's more of the 'suffer in silence type'. :)
You wanted me to be human, I reminded him. Well, watch me.
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

sophieet wrote:I understand what you mean, but Bella would never tell him. She knows it would upset him if he knew that and she's all for the whole pretending she's happy when she's not attitude. :lol: To quote the film, she's more of the 'suffer in silence type'. :)
Ha ha. Oh that was great.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but...

I was rereading Bella's transformation chapter again, and I was reminded of something that struck me as odd.

The first time Carlisle comes to check on Bella, Edward responds to something he thought. Then Edward says "I don't know. I'd love to flog them both."

I'm guessing that one of them is Jacob, due to his imprinting on Renesmee. I'm wondering who the other one is, though- Rosalie, perhaps? For being overprotective?

He also talks about not knowing which side to choose, and that Bella will probably surprise him with her choice. Not 100% sure what he's talking about there, either- though I'm guessing it's again related to Renesmee and the previous comment.
watchoverme
Settled in Forks

Post by watchoverme »

^^ I was reading the same chapter last night, and the same thought crossed my mind. I'm thinking along the same lines you are - that it's Jacob and Rosalie. Jake for the imprinting, and Rose for her reaction to it, and that Bella choosing sides would be either Jake's or Rosalie's. I couldn't think of who else it would be, and a different event that would induce the so-called flog reflex. But I might be looking at it a bit too close-mindedly, and maybe I'm missing something.
Megan

4 Books. 2360 Pages. Worth every second.

Before you, my life was like a moonless night...
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

ringswraith wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for it, but...

I was rereading Bella's transformation chapter again, and I was reminded of something that struck me as odd.

The first time Carlisle comes to check on Bella, Edward responds to something he thought. Then Edward says "I don't know. I'd love to flog them both."

I'm guessing that one of them is Jacob, due to his imprinting on Renesmee. I'm wondering who the other one is, though- Rosalie, perhaps? For being overprotective?

He also talks about not knowing which side to choose, and that Bella will probably surprise him with her choice. Not 100% sure what he's talking about there, either- though I'm guessing it's again related to Renesmee and the previous comment.
I always wondered that too. Because I would naturally assume Edward was the other side, but he is obviously not... I think Rosalie has to be it, maybe Alice, I don't think Alice would like it very much. Or Jasper...
ImageImageImageImageImage
cherrydarling1177
Settled in Forks

Post by cherrydarling1177 »

edward4ever wrote:
EmmettCullen534 wrote:I liked how well the transformation and her new senses were written-- but they were too short! This book could've and should've been ENTIRELY about Bella as a thirsty, struggling, regretful newborn vampire! Imagine all the amazing descriptions of the transformation and her new senses would be main points in the story (as they should be), not just quick mentions. If Bella would've struggled as a newborn, she would have to depend on Edward to help her stay good- giving him a bigger role in the book. She was supposed to be emotional as a vampire. This was all foreshadowed and would've been a much better story. If it was devoted to how Bella is now paying her price for immortality and love, instead of "look how amazing my baby is!", it would be the BEST BOOK!!!
In my opinion, it was SM's intent all along to make Bella's "adjustment" to being a vampire pretty easy. The reason I believe that is, I think it was Bella's destiny to be a vampire. In fact, I stated this in a post over a month ago, I believe that Bella was born to, not only BE a vampire, but to be with Edward eternally. In fact, I said I believe she was BORN a vampire, she just wasn't immortal yet.
-She's pale naturally (even in AZ);
-She never fit in with any human groups;
-She immediately felt comfortable around the vampires in her life;
-She wasn't shocked by anything Edward told her about his lifestyle, in fact it all made perfect sense to her from the get-go.

I LOVED the fact that she had no trouble whatsoever adjusting to it!

And she was protecting Edward when she refused to show how painful her transformation was after the morphine wore off and she was able to move. She knew he was already in pain about her wanting to give up her human life for him (of course, it became necessary in HIS mind with Renesmee--but before that), she didn't want him to hurt more knowing that she was in severe pain. That was amazing!!
I LOVE your theory and it makes complete sense to me, all of it! I'm with you, loved how she had no trouble adjusting to being a vampire, etc. But Breaking Dawn IS my favorite novel out of the series, I just love the transformation portion...I read it over and over. ;) It's the best.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Don't forget from Twilight...she could smell blood. That was a huge hint right there.
cherrydarling1177
Settled in Forks

Post by cherrydarling1177 »

Openhome wrote:Don't forget from Twilight...she could smell blood. That was a huge hint right there.
OMG you're right, Openhome. Totally forgot about that...but it was definitely something that was a good indicator from the beginning huh? ;)
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

There was also her ability to trip over thin air, and anything that cause physical harm to her and those around her. And the fact that she was a magnet for trouble, plus all the other stuff mentioned.

I kinda felt that she had it too easy after she had been changed, but then she had almost two years to grow into the idea, and had the choice and necessary support system for the change that not many of the other vampires had. Still felt like a cop out.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

But the last two years she was living in emotional and physical stress. Edward aswell.
I thought the breezy transformation is what she deserved after all the pain and heartache shes lived through.
All the times she got physically hurt from vamps. All the emotional pain with Edward.. and Jacob too (although I think a lot of it was caused by no one but herself). Then the baby comes along..
Don't you think she's been through enough?
I don't think my heart could take it if Bella had to go through another painful experience.
It was a huge weight off Edwards shoulders too. Spending the last two years in agony.
If he had to take care of Bella again once she changed.. it would be tough for him.. emotionally. He wouldn't complain..

Although having Bella struggle through the transformation would've been a more interesting story.. im glad SM cut her a break.

^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart