General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Kieuemo
Settled in Forks

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by Kieuemo »

ourlastmemory wrote:in answer to the idea of the venomous sperm, i don't think the venom would have necessarily had to mix with the sperm - edward's sperm would merely have been...stored since his transformation, presumably at just about the right temperature so it couldn't die.
I would agree that that is what Stephenie is going by. However, to store sperm for that length of time, Edward would either have to be warm enough to store sperm like a normal person, or be much colder than he possibly can be.
I have a farm and I breed quality show livestock--part of that can involve AI, or artificial insemination. However, sperm has to be stored in a special case specifically for that purpose; it's pretty expensive, so not all livestock breeders can afford it. Why? Because the tanks involve liquid nitrogen to freeze the sperm. Also "to allow the sperm to remain viable during the time before and after it is frozen, the semen is mixed with a solution containing glycerol or other cryoprotectants."
I somehow doubt that Edward is as cold as liquid nitrogen, or that venom would protect it in the same way as said cryoprotectants.
Forbidden_Freedom
Settled in Forks

Post by Forbidden_Freedom »

True. . . And great point. BUt When Edward turned, he was a virgin. And stayed that way for 80-some years. When Bella was human. . . She had to be wrapped in an afghan to keep warm while laying in bed with Edward. So, basically, in the change, everything changed. The body composition changed to be able to accept blood as a food.

So . . . being a chaste boy, the sperm wouldn't have been expelled . . . . in any way. And, by 17, physically mature. . . a whole freaking lot would be there, in the scrotum. (am I allowed to say that?) Which is already a few degrees cooler to be able to keep the sperm in the first place.

As a vampire. . . wouldn't it work the same way? Regardless of if he needs or doesn't need sperm, the body only changed so much. It changed enough to make their skin harder than diamonds and sparkle as such in the sun. Made their stamina never ending, and made them physically enticing to their prey. All these changes are in order to be a better predator.

Granted, blood doesn't run through their veins. BUt that's because it's now the only food they can consume. So, the fact that there is sperm in there wouldn't have changed. But, being that Bella and Edward's relationship is the first of it's kind (that we know of), with love in the mix, nobody would have noticed this before, would they?

But, my question is. . . . they had sperm. So, would their body's continue to produce it? I doubt it, but look at Joham, Nahuel's father. (the ones that bore witness at the end of BD, that made Aro forfeit). He created many 'children'. Nahuel, and many sisters. He wanted a 'super' race, yes. BUt Someone like him had to have been promiscuous as a human. So, once again, my question. . . Would the male vampires keep producing sperm? Or finish their 'stock' and have no more?

After this example, it seems likely that their bodies would keep producing.

Somebody answer? Please?
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

Here is something to consider...don't know if it's worth anything, but maybe...

Page 93, Edward tells Bella about his conversation with Carlisle...
"With our rarely changing temperaments, strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways. But he said I did not need to worry about that part- you had already altered me so completely."
Did his and Bella's intense love alter him to the point that impregnating was possible?
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

^^I think that was more of emotionally changed, not physically.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
AliceLauren
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by AliceLauren »

I agree. I think that he is just changed emotionally, and their love had nothing to do with him being able to impregnate her.
Calicoxx
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Calicoxx »

You have to remember, they can't physically change, but they can produce (and reproduce) venom. So, in theory, he could keep producing sperm. It's not a physical change, at least that is what I think.

And about the venomous sperm, I don't think it'd be absorbed into the blood stream. Hell, I doubt [if he does in fact produce his own, and not "leftovers" (which, again, would be impossible, because they wouldn't change genetically, furthering the point he produces his own)] it even has the vampiric venom in his sperm.

Just me 2 percent of a dollar represented in pennies.
Peace, love, always and forever.
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

We finally got an answer!! Yay!!
Stephenie posted FAQs for Breaking Dawn on her site, and she addresses this! Head on over there and read up!
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

MindReader wrote:i think it is actually still possible for her to have kids tho becuz (cant remember where i read this) but in the book it said that the only reason vampires cant get pregnant is cuz they are frozen in their current state, and babies need development to grow so thats why their mothers cant have a baby. but since nessie is obviously growing, it means that she still has the potential to have a baby...just a thought, any insight into my theory?
your theory makes sense to an extent. the problem is that nessie wil stop growing in approx. 6 and a half years. so idk? interesting thought, though
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

samajama wrote:
MindReader wrote:i think it is actually still possible for her to
have kids tho becuz (cant remember where i read this) but in the book
it said that the only reason vampires cant get pregnant is cuz they are
frozen in their current state, and babies need development to grow so
thats why their mothers cant have a baby. but since nessie is obviously
growing, it means that she still has the potential to have a
baby...just a thought, any insight into my theory?
your theory makes sense to an extent. the problem is that nessie wil
stop growing in approx. 6 and a half years. so idk? interesting
thought, though
Because Nessie is part human though, she may not inherit the infertility part of vampire. She may inherit the human part of being able to have children. But what if by being stuck at the age of 20 or whatever it is, what if she is stuck in the human part of that-perfectly able to have children? Therefore, she would be able to have children until her ovaries were empty.
So I've also been thinking about something else. If a woman were to become a vampire when she was pregnant, is the baby still alive? Is it like a little vampire in the woman's womb? Or is it dead, and just floating there? Does it have life, but is a vampire fetus?
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

There are a lot of good questions out there... I hope SM writes a book to help answer them. I thin kNessie could get pregnant, but would it have to happen before she stops aging. Because then she would be frozen as well....thus not able to carry a child!!??
ImageImage