General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Angeliss
Settled in Forks

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by Angeliss »

I still don't quite understand. In order for the chromosomes to all pair up, two of Edward's would have to pair up together.

l l l l l l
l l l l

Yay for visual representations! But if the ones on the bottom matched up with the ones on the top, there are two on the top left behind, to match up and make 24. (yes, I am aware there is not twenty four there. It was too hard to see.) Does this mean that Renesmee is more than half vampire? Weird thought...

And if she's more than half-vampire, does that mean she's more her father's daughter than her mother's?

Okay, weird thoughts, strange, and confusing questions...
Team Rosalie, Team Esme, Team Emmett, Team Carlisle, Team Jacob, Team Leah, Team Charlie, Team Angela...

Dang. Why don't they make a Team Everyone?
AliceLauren
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by AliceLauren »

porscheturbo911 wrote:but would Renesmee be able to have kids when she's fully grown? Cause when she's fully matured, she stops growing, right? So how could she get pregnant? If she could have kids though, I wonder what they would be like.
yeah, well if she stopped growing would she be like a vampire? her body wouldn't change anymore, like vampires. But she is also half human, and has blood and a heart. But her body can't change... and I am just going in a circle.

But IDK. honestly. I wish SM would tell us a little more details so we don't go crazy all day by trying to figure these things out by ourselves! Ah.
save-the-wetlands
Learning to Love Green

Post by save-the-wetlands »

I think you would have these weird human-vampire-werewolf things that would drink blood, eat human food, and change into a wolf. How about calling that freaky?
ImageImageImage
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Angeliss wrote:I still don't quite understand. In order for the chromosomes to all pair up, two of Edward's would have to pair up together.

l l l l l l
l l l l

Yay
for visual representations! But if the ones on the bottom matched up
with the ones on the top, there are two on the top left behind, to
match up and make 24. (yes, I am aware there is not twenty four there.
It was too hard to see.) Does this mean that Renesmee is more than half
vampire? Weird thought...

And if she's more than half-vampire, does that mean she's more her father's daughter than her mother's?

Okay, weird thoughts, strange, and confusing questions...
Yes, that was my exact thoughts at first. But because each chromosone is sort of "in charge" with a different characteristic, I don't think it was possible-it's like trying to match up eyes with gender. But with the donkeys and horses, somehow it does work out, even though I can't think of anything to make it work.
Also, I've come up with some theories on imprinting that has to do with science.
Notice how all of the imprinted girls are Indian or is Renesmee? Well, what if all Quileutes have 24 pairs-werewolf or not? Because what I noticed with the horses and donkeys were that the horses have 64 chromosone pairs and donkeys 62, mules I would then assume have 63. But should horses have 63 pairs and donkeys 62, you wouldn't be able to have a 62and1/2 chromosone pair creature without problems, or so far as I know. So it might be the same way with werewolves and humans. A 24 chromosone pair animal wouldn't be able to have kids with a 23 pair animal (perhaps the reason why Jacob couldn't imprint on Bella or that girl from the park). So then the werewolves would only imprint on their own kind who also have 24 pairs and of course then Renesmee has 24, and reproduction would be possible. Also maybe there is something wrong with Leah and that's why Sam didn't imprint on her.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

I'm a bit curious as to how Bella got pregnant in the first place. I thought vampires didn't have any bodily fluids except for venom

If Edward got Bella pregnant, that means he had to have had a "bodily fluid" other than venom

so i'm confused
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

also i think the 2 extra chromosones r for helping vampires absorb blood to make them strong instead of eating food
Rabby
Settled in Forks

Post by Rabby »

Here's an even better question:

Edward sperm is preserved in his venom, right? Something like that? If that's the case, when he and Bella sexed each other up his should've released semen/venom into her uterus, and then that venom should've absorbed through her uterine walls and into her bloodstream, destroying the blood and replacing it with venom. From what I would guess the venom just has to make it to the bloodstream without the vampire killing the prey. If the prey was left to die, it'd turn into a vampiric creature. It never says anywhere that the venom has to be directly injected.

Thus being sexed up with venomous sperm and having it absorb though the walls of the uterus should've been enough, right?

(Actually, heck, how did they even french kiss before this? Doesn't Edward have venomous saliva in his mouth? I'm assuming venom can't be destroyed so...ugh. Bella should've swallowed quite a lot of it. This makes my head hurt.)

Bella screamed when James bit her because it burned. By all logic (ahem, what the hell is the logic you speak of?) her uterus should've been on fire. Alice said in Twilight it all depends on how much venom is in the bloodstream. When James bit Bella there can't have been too much venom, but that little bite was enough to make her scream and make Edward worry about her turning into a vampire.

So shouldn't one shot of venomous sperm, absorbed into the bloodstream had the same effect?

Bella should've been a vampire before Nessie was ever born.

But then again..."Logic? What the hell is this logic you speak of?"
AliceLauren
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by AliceLauren »

I never thought of the whole kissing thing before. good point.

So where did his venom go? Wouldn't she get turned into a vampire just by kissing him? Hm. Wait. I just made my head really hurt. :|
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

The kissing thing has been hashed out in interviews... SM said that they don't french kiss... she said that their kissing was "chaste." Edward knew that if he was too rough kissing her, that his teeth could cut Bella and leak venom... and of course, now that I'm looking for that article, I can't find it... !

Hmm, maybe she got pregnant because she was ovulating at just the right time?? If she weren't ovulating, would the venom have absorbed through? Who knows! Just remember Edward's reaction to hearing Bella say she's pregnant, and then his question to Carlisle on the phone... is it possible? They had NO IDEA that he would be able to impregnate her. I doubt he would have had sex with her if he had known the stories were true, that it WAS possible... look at all the pain Bella went through and how it tore Edward up. He loves her beyond his own existence, and he never would have put her through that if he thought there was a possibility that she would get pregnant. Just my humble opinion.
waiting for a meteor
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by waiting for a meteor »

Literary Crusader wrote: First of all - vampires have 25 chromosomes? Firstly, where do they get them? They get two new chromosomes in every one of millions of body cells during a very quick transformation? And how do they get them - the venom makes them? Impossible. Secondly, what do they need them for? Vampires don't have bodily functions requiring protiens, which are what DNA codes for, so in theory they're stuck with two at least thrice-impossible extra chromosomes they don't have any use for.
Carlisle explained that vampire and human are almost different species. Why shouldn't that vampire species (had) have 25 chromosomal pairs, even if they were only redundant? Or have a look at the burgundy snail, she owns 27 chromosomal pairs and I assume she is not as complex as a human or a vampire.
When you accept the change itself, which means that a human body transforms to a living stone like corpus (changing each cell), why can't you accept the DNA being changed in every cell as well?
Literary Crusader wrote:Lastly - why can vampires have children with humans? They already have a great reproduction method - bite a guy.
Again this could be a redundancy of a former stage of evolution.

I'm not an expert on chromosomes, snails or vampires so: correct me if I'm wrong. ;)
No Rose, your backside is not getting any bigger – its frozen in time, remember?
Parallel evolution? My Twin = darkrider