Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by edward x lover »

Auctorita wrote:
SM Wears EC PJs wrote:Edward didnt bite through her stomach. They used a scalpel he just bit through the placenta (which was as tough as vampire skin).

Sm answers the ones about sperm on her site
Ah my mistake.

I had previously read her FAQ for BD and found some parts of it to be a bit vague. She states that the venom replaces fluids with a venom based version (that carries genetic information in the case of seminal fluid), but she makes no mention of whether the sperm itself are replaced or remain. However, she also said that she specifically stated that most fluids are replaced by venom when asked about how it was possible, implying that the venom did not replace the sperm/fluid. So, which is it?

Also, she notes that vampires do share some human functions like crying because they are not necessary and yet they are able to reproduce. How is it necessary? They don't need to reproduce in order to create vampires since they just have to get their venom into the bloodstream of a human and actually reproducing with a human is extremely ineffective and rare anyways.
I think that since vampires and humans are closely related (in chromosomal count anyway) that she was able to get pregnant. And that since vampires were never intended to reproduce with other vampires their reproductive organs just stayed inactive (kind of like some organs we have that we can live without i.e. appendix, not necessary but still there.) I hope that answers your question =]
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

I want some one to tell me if me theories are right(see my previous post about match-ups)

If I'm right, they could create a mixed vampire-human revolution
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

shape-shifter wrote:I want some one to tell me if me theories are right(see my previous post about match-ups)

If I'm right, they could create a mixed vampire-human revolution
your theories sound right and yes I think they could create a whole race of vamps who had all the perks of both species (species lol :roll: )
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

edward x lover wrote:
Auctorita wrote:
SM Wears EC PJs wrote:Edward didnt bite through her stomach. They used a scalpel he just bit through the placenta (which was as tough as vampire skin).

Sm answers the ones about sperm on her site
Ah my mistake.

I had previously read her FAQ for BD and found some parts of it to be a bit vague. She states that the venom replaces fluids with a venom based version (that carries genetic information in the case of seminal fluid), but she makes no mention of whether the sperm itself are replaced or remain. However, she also said that she specifically stated that most fluids are replaced by venom when asked about how it was possible, implying that the venom did not replace the sperm/fluid. So, which is it?

Also, she notes that vampires do share some human functions like crying because they are not necessary and yet they are able to reproduce. How is it necessary? They don't need to reproduce in order to create vampires since they just have to get their venom into the bloodstream of a human and actually reproducing with a human is extremely ineffective and rare anyways.
I think that since vampires and humans are closely related (in chromosomal count anyway) that she was able to get pregnant. And that since vampires were never intended to reproduce with other vampires their reproductive organs just stayed inactive (kind of like some organs we have that we can live without i.e. appendix, not necessary but still there.) I hope that answers your question =]
Sorry, I'm a bit unsure as to what you mean by inactive. Did you mean that they're not vital but still work or that they're actually inactive and just sit there? If it's the first then why would it still be working while their digestive systems no longer work; they're both not necessary for vampires.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
Calicoxx
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Calicoxx »

Don't forget, only male vampires are able to actually "reproduce" with human females. Female vampires are unable to do so, because their body can't change.
She states that the venom replaces fluids with a venom based version (that carries genetic information in the case of seminal fluid),

Exactly. It's already replaced by a venom based version that contains the genetic information. Venom sperm, if you will, without the cataclysmic affect when it interacts with blood.

And I would say that since males require to um.... discharge... for happy time, that it would be not necessarily necessary, but just helpful for those causes. Maybe it's the fiction thing behind it (which I am all for, because that's what it is, fiction) but scientifically, it would make sense. Any male ejaculation is required for the orgasmic effect. Maybe God (or whoever designed the vampires, or what have you) designed them as the natural predator of humans, but kept basic instinctual needs that the more intelligent animals have. (I.E. sex)
Peace, love, always and forever.
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by pubesy »

I know i posted this in twilight Q and A, but i thought i would post it here too, seeing this is a science related question!
malaz wrote:The blood goes through through their viens. That's what bella noticed one time after edward hunted, he had a red flush added to his skin.
The venom uses the blood to produce energy for their body. it's just the same with humans, we need food and water or otherwise we will have no strength to do anything, to thrive. It's the same with a vampire. That's why a newborn vampire is stronger than the decade old vampires.
Here, i got the Q & A from the personal correspendence
Q: If the vampires don’t have blood, then where did it go? Did it just dry up? Evaporate? Or were they nearly drained of it by the one who changed them?

A: The blood left in a newborn vampire’s body is used–burned like fuel, the same way the blood they drink from others is used for fuel. Here’s an analogy: think of it as the fat stores in your body. You’re still eating, but you use those fat stores up, too, over time (though not always; more’s the pity, so the analogy isn’t perfect unless you are successfully dieting). That blood left in them is used slowly over about a year.
wow personal correspondence! how did you manage that!

ok, so that explains where the human blood goes (superficially).

but my question is this - edward and jasper guzzle down litres and litres of blood inorder to be around humans and bella. obviously that blood has to go somewhere.
People argue that the blood is "burned up to create energy" or that it is converted into "vampire venom" or "other ejaculatory fluids "

but my problem is this:

why do vampires need an energy source? their cells would be dead, hence cellular respiration would not occur, thus there would be no need for energy for their body, and NO NEED TO EAT/DRINK BLOOD!
or are their "cells" alive in some form? do they have "living dead" cells that do require something from the blood - the hemoglobin perhaps?

hence the blood is then "burnt up" to produce energy for the "living dead" cells.

but here is the problem with that twiliverse explanation:

mater is neither created or destroyed, it is merely converted into something else. that is the first rule of chemistry.

what is the blood converted into after it is "burnt up?" Vampires do not do human functions such as defecate hence it could not be converted into something similar to urine or feces. Vampires do not need to breathe - hence it couldn't be converted into some gaseous form. they do not sweat - so it could not leave through the skin. they would need to rid themselves of the waste products of the blood-to-energy conversion, otherwise it would buildup in their body and they would become bloated (hence their bodies would change - which is not possible)

The venom and "ejaculatory fluids" idea worked - for like 5 seconds. because for the amount of blood the vampires consume - they would have to be spitting a river of venom, or for males either having quite a few wet dreams (even though they cant sleep?) or spending quite a bit of time behind the bathroom door "reading magazines" ;)
and then there comes the question of female vampires!

if anyone has an explanation for this question (that has stumped me for years) either explained in terms of science or (twiverse psuedo-science) please let me know!

it would be much appreciated!
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
edsbestfriend
Settled in Forks

Post by edsbestfriend »

My theory would be that vampire cells are not dead they just never change just like the way vampires never grow in this way they still need blood to sustain the cells as they are but not to grow.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Calicoxx wrote:Don't forget, only male vampires are able to actually "reproduce" with human females. Female vampires are unable to do so, because their body can't change.
She states that the venom replaces fluids with a venom based version (that carries genetic information in the case of seminal fluid),

Exactly. It's already replaced by a venom based version that contains the genetic information. Venom sperm, if you will, without the cataclysmic affect when it interacts with blood.
Ah that makes more sense. Even if the sperm themselves were not replaced but fluid was the human sperm would have died long ago anyway. Still, she has said elsewhere that she was always careful to say that most human fluids are replaced with venom; this just seems like such a contradiction to me.
And I would say that since males require to um.... discharge... for happy time, that it would be not necessarily necessary, but just helpful for those causes. Maybe it's the fiction thing behind it (which I am all for, because that's what it is, fiction) but scientifically, it would make sense. Any male ejaculation is required for the orgasmic effect. Maybe God (or whoever designed the vampires, or what have you) designed them as the natural predator of humans, but kept basic instinctual needs that the more intelligent animals have. (I.E. sex)
Their digestive systems cease to function because they're no longer necessary so why not reproductive organs?
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

So Nessie is growing very fast and will be full grown and immortal in around 7yrs....I wonder if her intake of blood has anything to do with her growth process and/or her remaining immortal. That is, once she's grown, will she stay immortal as long as she drinks blood sort of like how the wolves stay immortal as long as they phase?
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

pubesy wrote:I know i posted this in twilight Q and A, but i thought i would post it here too, seeing this is a science related question!
malaz wrote:The blood goes through through their viens. That's what bella noticed one time after edward hunted, he had a red flush added to his skin.
The venom uses the blood to produce energy for their body. it's just the same with humans, we need food and water or otherwise we will have no strength to do anything, to thrive. It's the same with a vampire. That's why a newborn vampire is stronger than the decade old vampires.
Here, i got the Q & A from the personal correspendence
Q: If the vampires don’t have blood, then where did it go? Did it just dry up? Evaporate? Or were they nearly drained of it by the one who changed them?

A: The blood left in a newborn vampire’s body is used–burned like fuel, the same way the blood they drink from others is used for fuel. Here’s an analogy: think of it as the fat stores in your body. You’re still eating, but you use those fat stores up, too, over time (though not always; more’s the pity, so the analogy isn’t perfect unless you are successfully dieting). That blood left in them is used slowly over about a year.
wow personal correspondence! how did you manage that!

ok, so that explains where the human blood goes (superficially).

but my question is this - edward and jasper guzzle down litres and litres of blood inorder to be around humans and bella. obviously that blood has to go somewhere.
People argue that the blood is "burned up to create energy" or that it is converted into "vampire venom" or "other ejaculatory fluids "

but my problem is this:

why do vampires need an energy source? their cells would be dead, hence cellular respiration would not occur, thus there would be no need for energy for their body, and NO NEED TO EAT/DRINK BLOOD!
or are their "cells" alive in some form? do they have "living dead" cells that do require something from the blood - the hemoglobin perhaps?

hence the blood is then "burnt up" to produce energy for the "living dead" cells.

but here is the problem with that twiliverse explanation:

mater is neither created or destroyed, it is merely converted into something else. that is the first rule of chemistry.

what is the blood converted into after it is "burnt up?" Vampires do not do human functions such as defecate hence it could not be converted into something similar to urine or feces. Vampires do not need to breathe - hence it couldn't be converted into some gaseous form. they do not sweat - so it could not leave through the skin. they would need to rid themselves of the waste products of the blood-to-energy conversion, otherwise it would buildup in their body and they would become bloated (hence their bodies would change - which is not possible)

The venom and "ejaculatory fluids" idea worked - for like 5 seconds. because for the amount of blood the vampires consume - they would have to be spitting a river of venom, or for males either having quite a few wet dreams (even though they cant sleep?) or spending quite a bit of time behind the bathroom door "reading magazines" ;)
and then there comes the question of female vampires!

if anyone has an explanation for this question (that has stumped me for years) either explained in terms of science or (twiverse psuedo-science) please let me know!

it would be much appreciated!
I've already answered that in the Q&A and now debating whether i should post the same post here....

cataclysm - her prefering to drink blood more than food is part of her gentic makeup. It's a vampire gene she has gotten from Edward. Her drinking blood doesn't effect how fast she will grow, but her drinking blood does fill in her need for nurtrients, therefore making her all strong and healthy and full of energy.
And no, she doesnt' have to drink blood to keep on becoming an immortal, like i saw. the drinking blood is just a heredity. Just like Nahuel, he can survive on both blood and real food and heck he is still living :D :D