General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by Auctorita »

There's one thing about the whole pregnancy issue that I don't understand. Why do vampires need to reproduce with humans? In the BD FAQ Meyer states that vampires do not have functions that are not necessary (like blinking), but how is reproduction necessary? The vampires are not created by reproduction but by being infected with venom in the bloodstream so procreating with humans has no purpose.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
Tengo Nubs.
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: Fighting off all the chubies who want to steal her fictional men. ::cough::SAM&SHEL::cough::

Post by Tengo Nubs. »

of course vampire reproducing with humans doesn't have a purpose. edward wasn't trying to get bella pregnant, but it happened--they wanted to have sex and the pregnancy was just a result of that. they were in love, not trying to conduct a science experiment. and joham (is that his name?) was reproducing with humans for the sole purpose of creating like a super-race of vampires. he wasn't fulfilling some biological purpose, just manipulating life in a way that benefited him.
Sam and Shel <3 --Twinnies Randomness Regular. Addicted to the Brothers <3
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Tengo Nubs. wrote:of course vampire reproducing with humans doesn't have a purpose. edward wasn't trying to get bella pregnant, but it happened--they wanted to have sex and the pregnancy was just a result of that. they were in love, not trying to conduct a science experiment. and joham (is that his name?) was reproducing with humans for the sole purpose of creating like a super-race of vampires. he wasn't fulfilling some biological purpose, just manipulating life in a way that benefited him.
So if it doesn't have a purpose then why are they still able to reproduce? If unnecessary human functions are lost once you become a vampire then the ability to reproduce shouldn't exist. It's not about whether they want to induce pregnancy or not but about why they are even able to do so in the first place.
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

So if it doesn't have a purpose then why are they still able to reproduce? If unnecessary human functions are lost once you become a vampire then the ability to reproduce shouldn't exist. It's not about whether they want to induce pregnancy or not but about why they are even able to do so in the first place.
I don't know if this helps, but blinking was only unnecessary because their eyes did not need the protection that it provided. However, their bodies still produced venom in the eye sockets so they were able to move their eyes around freely. So I don't think it was really that all unnecessary human functions were lost, more that they were just adapted to fit the needs of the vampire. And vampires are immortal but still able to be killed (though difficult) so who's to say that reproduction couldn't technically exist for the purpose of carrying on the bloodline.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

CantBreathe wrote: I don't know if this helps, but blinking was only unnecessary because their eyes did not need the protection that it provided. However, their bodies still produced venom in the eye sockets so they were able to move their eyes around freely. So I don't think it was really that all unnecessary human functions were lost, more that they were just adapted to fit the needs of the vampire. And vampires are immortal but still able to be killed (though difficult) so who's to say that reproduction couldn't technically exist for the purpose of carrying on the bloodline.
The only problem with that theory is that vampires don't need reproduction to carry on the bloodline, they just have to get venom into the bloodstream of a human to create more vampires. Besides, this type of reproduction is almost impossible since only two known vampires have successfully reproduced with humans. They are capable of death, but there are many things that die without being created by reproduction (at least that particular type).
Calicoxx
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Calicoxx »

What about hair?

Does it stay the same as they die, or does it keep growing?
Peace, love, always and forever.
kenzie♥cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by kenzie♥cullen »

if renesmee were to have kids would it have to be before she stops growing? when she stops growing eventually...is she "frozen" then? or would she still be able to have a child?
"...if I could dream, I could live for a few hours in the world where she and I could be together. She dreamed of me. I wanted to dream of her" ~Edward Cullen
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

I think Nessie could be able to reproduce because the point of imprinting is to pass on the wolf gene and Nessie kinda is the perfect candidate for Jacob, since she's non venomous so he won't die when he bites her

also, how was it possible for Edward to do it with Bella? Vampires have no blood, so in order for Edward to get an E-word, he would need blood
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

I also have other questions:

I know Nessie's skin isn't hard and sparkly like vampire skin, so is it weak and delicate like human skin?

If Nessie had a baby with a normal human male(not a werewolf) would her baby be completely human(Assuming she can get pregnant)

If Nessie was impregnated by a whole vampire, what would the baby be like?
If she was impregnated by another hybrid, what would the baby be like?
If she was impregnated by a werewolf, what would the baby be like?
If a hybrid male impregnated a human female, what would the baby be like?

and in all the above cases, what would the pregnancy even be like? how long would it be?
greeneggs
Settled in Forks

Post by greeneggs »

Forgot how she got pregnant, because whatever let's assume it's possible.

Explain to me this:

During Bella's pregnancy the baby manages to attack her lungs.

The baby had to rip apart all these organs to get to the lungs, (not to mention attacking these organs would have caused a lot more damage):

First come the solid organs, the problem with solid organs is that it holds alot of blood. You attack it, and it starts bleeding like anything, your stomach becomes rigid and rock hard and your dead in a matter of minutes. So, Since the baby had to attack this first then the abdominal area would have hardened up and the baby wouldn't have been able to move anymore to get to the lungs.

So here are all the solid organs the baby would have to rip apart.
Liver
2 Adrenal glands
2 Kidneys
Spleen
pancreas

Most of these organs are pretty large, hence a large amount of blood. The baby is not going anywhere once it rips this apart. It's not possible, there would just be to much blood to move through

Here’s the hollow organs, not as hard to move through since they bleed very little, but their going to dump food, and the waste and poison on the baby. Which you know might make it hard to move but overall is just gross.

Bile duct
Gallbladder
large intestines
ureter
small intestine
stomach

Here are a couple other various organs in the way that don't fall into either category
Colon
Diaphragm
A major artery

So here’s what would happen, in scientific logic world: Bella would be almost dead way before the baby got to the lungs... Once it ripped open her stomach, HCl would spill everywhere and dissolve all the other organs (and maybe the baby? I don‘t know is the baby immortal?). she would be dead before the baby reached the lungs.

Like really? With all these problems Edward was worried about the lungs? You can live with a collapsed lung, people do it every day. You can't live with blood sloshing around your body and all your main organs ripped apart spilling shoot everywhere

----

And another thing... the baby grew so fast and SM mentioned Bells was huuuge, so wouldn't the skin in her stomach be all stretched out? That's not something that just "heals", so since she'd then be "frozen as is" wouldn't she be dragging around a bunch of excess belly skin for the rest of eternity?