General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by marielle »

To be honest, I don't remember reading in the books about Rosalie having a mole...
I think in all honesty it's a small movie mistake...
I don't know if Nikki has that mole or not but it could be considered as a beauty spot. I remember a lot of beautiful actresses faked that spot... I'm sure that the production team let it be there because it is considered a symbole of beauty.

For the science, in general, moles are a few cells in which a lot of pigment is stored, we know that Laurant didn't loose the dark teint of his skin during transformation so I think that pigment stayed where it is. So, if you look it from that way I think vampires can have moles.
Though if you look at wart like moles, the once that are bad, first signs of skin cancer and all I think the vemon corrects that.
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

marielle, I was going from memory, but I just checked the Guide:

Pale vampire skin is a product of vampire venom’s transformative process. The venom leeches all pigment from the skin as it changes the human skin into the more indestructible vampire form. Regardless of original ethnicity, a vampire’s skin will be exceptionally pale. The hue varies slightly, with darker-skinned humans having a barely discernible olive tone to their vampire skin, but the light shade remains the same. All forms of skin pigmentation—freckles, moles, birthmarks, age marks, scars, and tattoos—disappear during the transformation.

I think the retaining of the "olive tone" was a concession to not wanting to wipe out a human's ethnicity during the change, but even then it is barely noticeable. Casting Edi Gathegi for Laurent was a major change to the canon, but I'm glad they did, he was great for that part.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Since a lot of stuff in their skin disappears or diminishes, what do you make of make up and such? And can vampires dye their hair and it stay in?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Hair dyes are definitely doable, but I think the vamps would be very careful about it and most wouldn't attempt it, fearing any harsh chemicals coming into contact with their most precious possession. I would think they would be extremely careful even just shampooing it.

Makeup is absolutely possible, but then the question is how well would it adhere and would it last long? Since the venom does not react to hair, which is primarily protein-based, I would think there would be some compounds of makeup that might work is someone like Carlisle or Alice put a lot of work into researching it. The hair demonstrates that the venom does not react destructively to everything.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

So... I don't know how many of you saw the movie, but a major point of vampire physiology canon got changed.

Stephenie clearly stated here that vampire hair does NOT CHANGE during transformation. Not at all. But in the movies, her hair changes as she transforms.

Interesting, isn't it?
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Changing Bella's hair color was the simplest solution to a difficult problem. The audience needs visual clues of the change, but the options are limited. Kristen already had a fair complexion, so they can't make her that much paler. There is the red eyes, of course. Whatever vampiric "perfection" or "idealization" goes on can't be portrayed unless they want to CGI her features for all of BD2, and that's not going to happen.

Bella is the only Before and After vamp we get a real good look at. The easy solution is to change her hair color and then make her hair look fabulous in the remaining scenes for BD2.

I would consider that a bending of the canon, solely to visually convey her change for the movie audience.

And since the options are limited, it will be interesting to see how they dress her for BD2. Book Bella doesn't change in that regard, but I suspect they are going to be tempted to dress her up a bit more for the movie.

Take a look at Bella's Before and After pics in the Illustrated Guide. It is obvious the artist also had the same problem, how do you depict an After Bella? The artist decided to dress her up and make her hair even more fabulous, a very straightforward and simple solution.

Also, I've always seen problems with the canon. Everything about the vamp hair makes sense, except for hair retention. I could never see how Aro kept all of his for thousands of years. I could see how the hair follicles would hold on to the hair more effectively, but doing so perfectly for eons? Some vampirization of the hair and nails seems be a logical solution for making sure they stay put.
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

I didn't see that as her hair color changing so much as that the vampirization was restoring her hair to (slightly better than) its former condition. During the pregnancy her hair gets brittle and dull and looks faded; while she's changing her hair turns lustrous and the color darkens again.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

I happened to notice a few articles out there quoting the hair colourist for BD.

Based on her comments, it does look like there was intentional, although slight, darkening of Bella's hair at the end, which will continue in the next movie. Rob looks like his was darkened up too to match up better with Kristen.

"Her hair needed to have depth and warmth and stay in the warm, reddish brown tones, but it needed to have shine and vibrancy. There will be a slight change in the last Breaking Dawn film but I need to keep that a secret!"

And,

"We kept his colour close to some of the other films but it had to be a little deeper this time. You will see why when the next film comes out."

And,

“Originally, he was going to try and get away with not coloring his hair. I believe in the first film, that is his natural hair color. He just felt like if I don’t have to do it, let’s not. In general, men’s hair color is very natural looking, so even when you color men’s hair, you want it looking really natural — like a man. [For Breaking Dawn,] it had to be richer tones, more along the lines of Bella so they looked right together.”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

That's quite interesting! I can't wait to find out why.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Openhome wrote:So... I don't know how many of you saw the movie, but a major point of vampire physiology canon got changed.

Stephenie clearly stated here that vampire hair does NOT CHANGE during transformation. Not at all. But in the movies, her hair changes as she transforms.

Interesting, isn't it?
I don't think the color is really changing... Maybe the color is enhanced a bit... but in the movie they made Bella really look sick, her hair was dead... it happens with malnurishment... I think you just saw her hair changing back to it's healthy self...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house