General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by corona »

Chernaudi wrote:Only problem is that Nessie using food to control her menstral cycle is that if she's pregnant, and she drinks blood, wouldn't the baby get stronger if it inheritied enough hybrid/vampire genes, just as Nessie did when Bella was pregnant with her?
True, so you could flip her and Bella’s circumstances around. Bella has to go to an abnormal diet after getting pregnant, while Nessie has to have an abnormal diet just to get pregnant, and then go back to normal once she is pregnant.

Also, just as a caveat, we are discussing a potential logical solution to your story, which is not based on any actual info that SM has provided on Nessie. If SM writes further stories about Nessie, though, she is going to have to face the same issues, right? Either Nessie is sterile (which I don’t think SM would want), or she somehow syncs into having normal periods with a 40 year window of opportunity, or something else goes on. Nessie’s diet seems to be a logical choice to regulate her ovulation, merging some kind of credible basis for the desired outcome.

If that makes sense to you, then keep in mind Nahuel’s sisters would also be affected. An all-blood diet would mean they have already gone through it, and an all-human diet would mean they did not. I lean towards an all-human diet with as little blood present as possible, no red meat, possibly even a strict vegan diet, something Nessie would not like at all. Maybe she discovers this during an extra-credit assignment for a class she is taking on nutrition? Maybe one or two weeks into it her ovulation kicks in, shocking the hell out of her?
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
abbyweyr
Settled in Forks

Post by abbyweyr »

In looking through a lot of the pages here I didn't see my question addressed. The Cullens have been through schools, universities more than once with different degrees earned. So why haven't they figured out a way to cover their skin so as to not sparkle, besides with clothing? We have spray on tans. I know their skin is impentable, but I figure the girls wear makeup. maybe not? If they could spray on a 'desparkle' substance they would be safer, be able to interact more, live more different places. Just curious.
Knives
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Knives »

abbyweyr wrote:In looking through a lot of the pages here I didn't see my question addressed. The Cullens have been through schools, universities more than once with different degrees earned. So why haven't they figured out a way to cover their skin so as to not sparkle, besides with clothing? We have spray on tans. I know their skin is impentable, but I figure the girls wear makeup. maybe not? If they could spray on a 'desparkle' substance they would be safer, be able to interact more, live more different places. Just curious.
This is mostly because, in all honesty, Twilight does not contain any actual science, and this thread is mostly the implications of the various rules presented in the series. For example, Bella's all-blood diet during her pregnancy should have killed her. It didn't.

So the short answer to your question is: "Smeyer didn't think of it."
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Actually, spray tan is a constant joke around here.

No, I don't believe she did think of it, but also, it is unlikely that spray tan would hide the actual "sparkling". In fact, it beads up on non-pourous surfaces (like my shower door). There is only a slight chance that it would actually penetrate the surface of the skin and even less that it would stay on for very long.

The make-up, though, is an excellent idea!
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Going back to the birth control deal, could it be as simple as something like a pill or medication that can control ovulation? You'd think that Dr. Cullen might be able to think of something like that, or maybe a special diet (as suggested earlier) could control ovulation/periods, but I can't see Nessie going on a special diet.

So could some medication or concoction be made for Hybrids to control their periods and ovulation.

Or could drugs in general have any effect on them? It seems that since diseases and disorders that humans have don't effect hybrids, could it also be that medications won't have an effect either, at least to the same extent?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

Chernaudi wrote:Or could drugs in general have any effect on them? It seems that since diseases and disorders that humans have don't effect hybrids, could it also be that medications won't have an effect either, at least to the same extent?
Sorry I only just saw this, but that is a very interesting and complicated question. My take on this:
- Vampires can take up blood into their body (they drink blood so it has to be taken up by the gastrointestinal tract) but they can't take up human food (they need to throw it up or it will stay there forever). Vampires also don't get sick so this must mean that bacteria or viruses can't penetrate into their bodies, not even through the gastrointestinal tract.
- Hybrids can take up nutrients into their circulation from both human food and blood. If indeed they can't become sick then bacteria and viruses can't be taken up in their bodies either.
This leads me to the conclusion that vampires and hybrids must have one killer supernatural immune system, allowing only specific nutrients to enter their bodies. For vampires only from blood, for hybrids from blood and regular food. Hence I would say that drugs won't effect hybrids because they can't enter the body.

This was a question raised on the Team Renesmee thread and as recommended by Chernaudi I'm posting it here. Can Renesmee communicate with animals and things other than people, vampires, werewolves/shapeshifters, and other hybrids?
My initial reaction was doubt it. But I'm starting to think why not? Thinking of Alice's power, she can only see the future of vampires (which she is) and humans (which she once was). But Renesmee has only ever been a hybrid and clearly she can communicate with vampires and werewolves/shapeshifters (I don't think they ever tried her gift on a human right?). So the rules of Alice's power don't apply to Renesmee, hence why would she not be able to communicate with other beings such as regular animals. But then I think of Edward and his gift works on werewolves/shapeshifters too, but I've never heard of him reading the mind of a lion he is about wrestle with. Hmm...
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Just stopping by after reading a section on the illustrated guide- seems my theory on why Leah's a wolf was pretty much spot-on. :) (Check out the family trees.)
Alices Shopping Partner
Settled in Forks

Post by Alices Shopping Partner »

Hi guys!
I know what I'm saying here doesn't connect to what you guys are currently talking about but I was just wondering if vampires have moles and freckles. I thought I read something about it in the guide, but I can't seem to find it now.
You see, I was watching Eclipse (for the 6 time :) ) and I realized that Rosalie had a mole near her lip. This was the scene when she was talking to Bella about her past...
Has anyone else noticed that??

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Alices Shopping Partner wrote:Hi guys!
I know what I'm saying here doesn't connect to what you guys are currently talking about but I was just wondering if vampires have moles and freckles. I thought I read something about it in the guide, but I can't seem to find it now.
You see, I was watching Eclipse (for the 6 time :) ) and I realized that Rosalie had a mole near her lip. This was the scene when she was talking to Bella about her past...
Has anyone else noticed that??

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Human cell reconstruction (damage repair) is based on the human DNA. Moles and freckles are irregularities that would likely be completely erased during the transformation (considered to be damaged skin). One of the most prominent characteristics of vampires is their perfect complexion.

If Rosalie had a mole like Nikki, it would have been removed during the transformation. I think she looks great with it. There would have been little sense in trying to achieve "perfection" with her, though, since they would have had to do that with everyone else as well. I think SM once said that Jamie Campbell Bower, who played Caius, came the closest to having the ideal vampire complexion.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

According to the Guide, freckles and all acne would disappear. Freckles might be natural coloring, but any part of them caused by damage would be healed and corrected. Vampire pallor is so intense that freckles wouldn't be visible.

As to moles, it would depend on the cause of the mole in my opinion. If a mole is simply a lump of tissue, it might make it through transformation but would be lessened and would certainly loose it's color. If it's a part of a damaging process, it would certainly be healed.

That's a really good question!