The Science of Twilight

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby Calicoxx » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:53 pm

Their digestive systems cease to function because they're no longer necessary so why not reproductive organs?


Obviously, for females, it wasn't. But since males were able to still impregnate human females (and God knows what other humanoid species) then there was obviously some knowledge on the genetic level knowing it would work, hence why there was a replacement of semen.
Image
Peace, love, always and forever.
User avatar
Calicoxx
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby Auctorita » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:27 pm

Calicoxx wrote:
Their digestive systems cease to function because they're no longer necessary so why not reproductive organs?


Obviously, for females, it wasn't. But since males were able to still impregnate human females (and God knows what other humanoid species) then there was obviously some knowledge on the genetic level knowing it would work, hence why there was a replacement of semen.


And why is it necessary for male vampires to impregnate humans? They don't need to reproduce to create more vampires, so why is it necessary for their reproductive organs to continue functioning?
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
User avatar
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm
Location: The Larch

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby Calicoxx » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Auctorita wrote:And why is it necessary for male vampires to impregnate humans? They don't need to reproduce to create more vampires, so why is it necessary for their reproductive organs to continue functioning?


I didn't say it was necessary, I said on the genetic level it was possible. =P
Image
Peace, love, always and forever.
User avatar
Calicoxx
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby shape-shifter » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 pm

Auctorita wrote:
Calicoxx wrote:
Their digestive systems cease to function because they're no longer necessary so why not reproductive organs?


Obviously, for females, it wasn't. But since males were able to still impregnate human females (and God knows what other humanoid species) then there was obviously some knowledge on the genetic level knowing it would work, hence why there was a replacement of semen.


And why is it necessary for male vampires to impregnate humans? They don't need to reproduce to create more vampires, so why is it necessary for their reproductive organs to continue functioning?


Cuz it's a fantasy written by an author who wanted their reproductive organs to still work :mrgreen:
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:44 am

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby Auctorita » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 am

Calicoxx wrote:
Auctorita wrote:And why is it necessary for male vampires to impregnate humans? They don't need to reproduce to create more vampires, so why is it necessary for their reproductive organs to continue functioning?


I didn't say it was necessary, I said on the genetic level it was possible. =P



It is nearly impossible to do though because the vampire would most likely kill the human afterward. Even if it was possible on the genetic level there is still no reason why the reproductive organs would still be working when vampires don't need them.

Cuz it's a fantasy written by an author who wanted their reproductive organs to still work :mrgreen:


Yes, she definitely wanted them to still work. :) But even fantasy has to obey the logic of it's own universe. Besides, if Meyer had gone for the "vampires are mythological creatures that don't follow the rules of science" or something then I wouldn't be writing about this. However, she instead tried to explain them with science and chromosomes and such. The vampires should follow this logic then in all aspects and not just go from magical to scientific when she pleases.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
User avatar
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm
Location: The Larch

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby cataclysm » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:48 pm

malaz wrote:snip

cataclysm - her prefering to drink blood more than food is part of her gentic makeup. It's a vampire gene she has gotten from Edward. Her drinking blood doesn't effect how fast she will grow, but her drinking blood does fill in her need for nurtrients, therefore making her all strong and healthy and full of energy.
And no, she doesnt' have to drink blood to keep on becoming an immortal, like i saw. the drinking blood is just a heredity. Just like Nahuel, he can survive on both blood and real food and heck he is still living :D :D


I know it's part of her genetic makeup and that she likes blood. What I'm asking is, as a hybrid, does the blood have a different affect on her physiology than it would on a normal human or vampire physiology. We don't know. For example, when we eat meat, the chief cells in our stomaches release enzymes that break the protein down into amino acids. Part of the reason our cells release the enzymes is because we present protein to the digestive tract. IOW, the presence of the protein affects how our cells act. Is it possible that the presence or absence of blood would affect the expression of some of her vampire genes? Does the vampiric gene(s) that makes immortality possible for her as a hybrid require the presence of blood? She's not venomous and while she's 'sturdy' she's not the same as the other vampires. If Nahuel gave up blood and still isn't aging or is aging more slowly then blood isn't required for the aging process to stop altogether (unless him being venomous figures into things).
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby Amethyst1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:22 pm

^that was very confusing. sorry! but i did answer your qestion. Her drinking blood doesn't effect how long she lives or her immortality at that. She drinks blood because he body needs it to live, just like we need food, water. etc. IMO

Her body doesn't need blood to stay immortal.

Nauhuel isn't aging, when he reaches maturity his body growth stops and stays that forever (i am sure you knew that) but, if you say. Him eating human food will make him mortal again? no it doesn't...him eating blood make him an immortal forever? no...

i hope that made sense, somewhat.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby cataclysm » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:44 pm

malaz wrote:^that was very confusing. sorry! but i did answer your qestion. Her drinking blood doesn't effect how long she lives or her immortality at that. She drinks blood because he body needs it to live, just like we need food, water. etc. IMO

Her body doesn't need blood to stay immortal.

Nauhuel isn't aging, when he reaches maturity his body growth stops and stays that forever (i am sure you knew that) but, if you say. Him eating human food will make him mortal again? no it doesn't...him eating blood make him an immortal forever? no...

i hope that made sense, somewhat.


The hybrids can live on regular food. They don't have to drink blood. In fact if you think about it, it's a bit disturbing. I mean, vampires have to drink blood as a source of energy/vitality. They won't die without it, but they'll become very weak. The hybrid's drinking blood is almost like a human drinking blood just because he/she likes the taste. ewww

As for the blood drinking contributing to immortality thing. Another way of putting it- if a woman loses a certain amount of weight, she may stop menstruating. She stops menstruating b/c her body needs a certain amount of fat in order to produce hormones which in turn stimulate the monthly cycle. What if blood provides some essential ingredient that is used to 'fuel' the type of cellular maintenance required for immortality?
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby Amethyst1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:47 pm

I think only the males can live on human food because Renesme hates human food.
Blood tastes good to vampire as well...at least, i was under the impression so...

Yuck! it totally freaked me out when bella was like 'it tastes good. I want more" :?

umm...that second paragraph. i don't really think i know an answer. haha, i'll keep an eye on this page. hopefully someone will discuss it with you.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: The Science of Twilight

Postby cataclysm » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:36 pm

malaz wrote:I think only the males can live on human food because Renesme hates human food.
Blood tastes good to vampire as well...at least, i was under the impression so...


I think Bella described human food as being compatible with Nessie's system. She doesn't like it, but she can survive if that were the only thing available. She just prefers blood...
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests