Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Re: Favorite Quotes from the Saga

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Jazz Girl wrote:
sweetpea wrote:I didn't know where to post this question so I posted here. JazzGirl if you are out there I would love to hear your thoughts. I looked up the word blasphemy I was so confused. My question is what did Edward mean by blackest blasphemy. Can't remember the exact quote. Thanks
New Moon, p. 510 "When I told you that I didn't want you, it was the very blackest kind of blasphemy."

SweetPea~ Before I answer, let me say that, while I am a spiritual person, organized religion really holds no sway for me. If it works for you, great, and I envy you your faith. So, nothing in this response is meant to insult or disparage. It's just how I speak. That being said...

Usually, yes, the word blasphemy is used to refer to any comments made that curse God or anything of a religiously important nature. More importantly, blasphemy is also immediately considered the worst kind of lie. In the more common English, it can also be used to refer to language or comments that curse anything held sacred by someone. The one thing Edward holds sacred is Bella. Therefore, not only for him to say something so hurtful of her (that he did not love her or want her), it was not only the worst kind of lie he could tell, but the worst kind language he could use ever. The blackest blasphemy translates to the darkest/worst lie. It is, in my heart, one of the most heartfelt comments he ever makes.
Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I knew you would explain it better than a dictionary.
Banner by TammyAZ
michelle
Learning to Love Green

Re: Favorite Quotes from the Saga

Post by michelle »

I love that part in NM where Bella realizes that Jacob and the gang are warewolves and she tries to figure out the right way to deal with them:

"So I didn't know what made them hunt, whether hunger or thirst or just a desire to kill. It was hard to judge, not knowing that.
But it couldn't be worse than what the Cullens endured in their quest to be good. I thought of Esme - the tears started when I pictured her kind, lovely face - and how, as motherly and loving as she was, she'd had to hold her nose, all ashamed, and run from me when I was bleeding. It couldn't be harder than that. I thought of Carlisle, the centuries upon centuries that he had struggled to teach himself to ignore blood, so that he could save lives as a doctor. Nothing could be harder than that."

This part always makes me cry. In just a few lines is showed the kind of friend Bella is to Jacob, how much she loved and missed the Cullens and the sacrifices the Cullens had to make to be good vampires. It's at the end of chapter 12, Intruder.