General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Jasper's Response to Bella's Change

Post by Lunna-san »

starmie_alice_holter wrote:Well, I knew that it would be hard for Jasper, the way that she was controlable. I mean look at it: out of everyone in the family, he was the only one who, up to Twilight, was still having trouble adjusting and abstaining. I felt sorry for him. Everything just seemed to remind him of what kind of jacked-up past he had, which, as a result, could make him feel like more of a monster than the others.
Yeah, I stick with you. I understand he feels bad about himself. But I think no vampire was as prepared for immortality as Bella was. Maybe if becoming a vampire was an option to him, he might have dealled with the newborn fase in a different way and the same goes to the others. It doesn't change anything he had done before, but being closer to Bella might help him. I don't think it's easy to her as well. It an everyday battle. Somedays is easier than others.
Muse<3
Settled in Forks

Post by Muse<3 »

Mmmm... Ya I was a little shocked about how hard Jasper was taking it, but I could understand what he was going through. I mean imagine what it was like for him. But i guess, in a way (Not wanting to sound insensitive) he could have handled it better.... but I still really like Jasper so eather way :D
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i didn't consider jasper's reaction beforehand, so it's not like i was expecting it, but it didn't surprise me when it happened. i mean, jasper sort of has it harder than anyone else doesn't he? he's the only one who wasn't born into carlisle's lifestyle, besides alice, so it's not like he "grew up" with it. not only that, but he "grew up" in a distinctly different environment, where that sort of behavior was encouraged, not only that, but demanded. he must have already been struggling with the knowledge that everyone else had such a better handle on themselves. then he almost attacks bella at her birthday, essentially becoming the catalyst to the pain and darkness of new moon. so i imagine some part of him was hoping that bella could forgive him for that once she saw how hard it is (not that she hadn't already forgiven him, or was ever mad!) and then she had no trouble at all. poor jasper.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

starmie_alice_holter wrote:Well, I knew that it would be hard for Jasper, the way that she was controlable. I mean look at it: out of everyone in the family, he was the only one who, up to Twilight, was still having trouble adjusting and abstaining. I felt sorry for him. Everything just seemed to remind him of what kind of jacked-up past he had, which, as a result, could make him feel like more of a monster than the others.
I agree.

I thought Jasper's reaction was perfectly normal. I also did not like how Bella snapped at him because he was being protective of Renesmee when she was around. Sure, she knew she wouldn't hurt the thing, but Jasper wasn't sure.

I, personally, thought Bella should've had more difficulty with the bloodlust; however, that's for another time and place. :)
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Davrick
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Davrick »

I think the alcoholic analogy was the one that hit it on the head the best to describe why he was so torn about it. Jasper spent what... a century and a half just giving in whenever he wanted some grub, then trying to master self denial for the last 5 decades. The others having to watch him like a hawk around the mortals for lapses, etc... if someone else came along worse off or just as bad, it wouldn't feel like he was so responsible for the problems. Then Bella went and threw convention out the window being so in control and he's forced to realize everything was his fault for being weak and he was just using the compulsion as an excuse. I was down when I figured out that's the self-realization he had to go through, but once he had figured it, I think he came out a better person with more of a mastery over his frame of mind regarding it.

I also wonder if part of Bella's control wasn't due in part to her overwhelming fear of losing herself and becoming the thing they all warned her of.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

WinniePony wrote:I wasn't really surprised at how hard things were for Jasper. I mean, he's been around a long time, and he's seen countless newborns. He's just taken it as a given that they have to be wild and bloodthirsty. Bella's self control makes him look again at what he's believed for decades. And vampires are set in their ways anyway, so any change is... not really difficult for them, but more... rare, I guess. That's not quite right either, but it's closer. Plus, it's also making him question whether he should be expecting more of himself. It's making him think that maybe if he asked more of himself, he'd get more. That's got to be hard stuff to deal with, especially since it says that he's only the weakest link in the family because he believes he is.
yea i can understand why he may not understand how a new born may have more control than him, like he's been around a lot longer yet he still hadn't got the whole new diet thing perfect and all, but then comes bella and on her first day every thing's perfect with no problems, poor guy he must have felt really weak.
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

I think the whole experience was really overwhelming for Jasper.

On the one hand, he felt grossly inadequate because Bella could control her thirst right away and he's been trying for almost a century. He was anticipating having to help control her; that way he wouldn't feel like this was "his" problem but a general problem. But, Bella, being the exception to just about every rule didn't help with his self-esteem much. (She could've pretended just for his sake :lol: )

I was also glad to see how much he tried to protect Renesmee, because that must have been hard for him. And it shows how much he cares. Even though he was upset because Bella didn't follow the norm, he was still on guard which shows that he's a good man.

I think Bella now probably understands a sliver of where Jasper's coming from. And I hope she'll be able to help him.

I think he also feels relieved. Now he doesn't have to worry about killing his brother's soulmate.

He probably also feels Edward's relief. Jasper can sense emotion and is often affected by it. I'm willing to bet he was affected by Edward's emotions toward Bella and how conflicted Edward felt about her transformation and her pregnancy and whether he was saving or damning her. That's some tough stuff to deal with. I kind of got the impression he didn't really effect Edward with his power (out of courtesy or whatever) - so to feel all that and not be able to do anything is probably worse. Now that it's over and Edward is more chill, I think Jasper can relax and be angry - which is weird.
Last edited by Lacuna Scion on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
ILY_E.C_4EVA
Wandering Through Town

Post by ILY_E.C_4EVA »

I feel so sorry for Jasper, I no how it feels to hhave someone better than you that is younger than you. *coughs* my perfect little princess of a sister. :x
She is 3years younger and can swim faster (stupid state champion), run faster, is smarter than i was at her age.
yet I have alot more smarts in the fashion department!!
Jasper is in the worst position apart from everyone going "oh bella you are doing so well!" cause alice must be feeling it to from jasper and he would absouletly love to get some retail therapy with Alice :| boredom!!
"Stupid, Shiny Volvo Owner"
"Penguins, Lovely."
Well you no you're OBSESSED when you read "the end" and cried
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I think Jasper is a bit sad but happy that Bella didn't kill a human after her change. If Bella did bite a human, he wouldn't feel so left out and be the baddie in the family, because his control is the weakest among the Cullens.

I wonder if Bella's control did inspire him to learn to control himself better?
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ChristinasHeadache »

I know it was difficult for Jasper to grasp that Bella was atypical for a newborn. It shouldn't have been though. Even Aro had said Bella seemed to have been born to be a vampire. Jasper was a nice human but he wasn't 'made' for immortality like Bella was.
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia