General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: True Love? Reality or Myth

Post by Asheleyo »

Aww, wow. That's so sweet. It's very encouraging to see that we had someone who really cherished love as a president. Sometimes you just feel like your leaders are so fake (it doesn't help when you find out that they really are fake). It's just so darn sweet.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Lirpa, good point about the person you end up with is not always the one you wanted at first. As to the Laws of Attraction, I feel that there has to be some sort of attraction there or you would never notice the person in the first place. At the same time I don't believe that the person you are most attracted to is your true love. In my personal earlier days, I was most attracted to the guys I shouldn't have been and dated quite a few. That dark, brooding, trouble-making type. Then my friend decided to introduce me to this guy. He was pretty good looking, but he was the goofy, funny kind of guy. Not my type AT ALL. But then we started hanging out b/c my bf was dating his bf. Eventually I grew to really like him and now, almost five years later, he's my fiance. But there was an initial attraction, he was cute and had a GREAT personality. So, like I said, I think there has to be SOME level of attraction to catch your attention.
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

So what's everyone favorite example of true love from:

Their own life
Modern Media (TV/Movie)
Books (other than twilight)
Twilight
ImageImageImageImage
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Their own life: Well, I've never been in love. But as far as real couples go, Gordon and Marjorie Hinkley. Truly amazing couple.
Modern Media (TV/Movie): This may seem silly, but Jim and Pam from The Office. But they are just so cute and perfect for each other.
Books (other than twilight): Actually, (please don't kill me for this) I think that Anne and Captain Wentworth from Persuasion are the top of all book couples. They truly went through everything, and came out with an even stronger love.
Twilight: I'm going to be cliche and say Edward and Bella. I thought about it and was going to say another couple, but I really think that B&E went through so much more than all of anyone. With her being human, and him leaving, and Jacob, and the pregnancy, I think they had it the toughest of all and made it through loving each other even more.
I guess a lot of what I judge love on is the tough times it brings and the sacrifice people are willing to make for it. To me, if you are willing to give yourself to the person you love even in the most grueling times, that is really the strongest love possible.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
rachelj0711
Settled in Forks

Post by rachelj0711 »

debussygirl: I have to say, I am a fan of Anne and Capt. Wentworth. For me, Austen's "Persuasion" was the most accessible and relateable of her novels!

In my life: as a girl whose wedding is fast approaching (Dec. 12!), I have to be goopy and say that my finace has been the best example of love in my life. Even when I am being hissy, PMS-ing, or having serious issues (like being stranded with him in an airport, trying to fly home in a blizzard), he has never stopped loving me, or putting my well being before his own. (Thanks for bearing with the sappiness!)

In Modern Media: I love the as-yet unrealized love of Booth and Bones in Fox's drama "Bones". The reason I love their relationship is that they are already living out their love for each other in everything they say and do - they just haven't understood that they are "in-love" in the truest sense of the word.

Books: I could never choose a favorite couple! There are so many out there! However, if I had to pick one book to be stranded with, I would pick Robin McKinley's "Beauty". It is Beauty and the Beast told in such a tender way - the Beast needs Beauty's love to redeem him from his monstrous state, but Beauty needs the Beast's love as well. They fight to win each other, the Beast fights to win her heart, and she fights to save his life. A touching picture of the redeeming power of love!

Twilight: Sure, I could very easily go with Bella and Edward, but I am going to go a little out of the norm and recognize one of my favorite couples: Alice and Jasper. Again, the saving power of true love! Alice brings out the humanity that remains in Jasper, and he would slay an entire army of Volturi to protect her. The scene where they reunite in the airport in New Moon is so amazing...they don't even need to say a word, just being together is fulfilling.

For me, love is proven in the most difficult trials, but it is formed in daily living. In your day-to-day choices, do you always choose to selflessly put your "lover" first? In the small choices, such as choosing to stare longer at a waitress' chest or a lifeguard's muscled abs, are you thinking of what would make the one you love feel more special, more cherished? When no one is watching, do you still live in a way that honors the one you love? It is a lot to ask, and a lot to live up to, but so incredibly worth the struggle. In the end, would you rather have easy love, or meaningful love?
n0vaice
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: On a beach, half dipped in a beautiful blue sea, under the summer rain. Waiting for YOU to kiss me.

Post by n0vaice »

Wow this thread is dusty...

*get a broom and starts sweeping*

Well anyway the other day something smacked my mind.

"What if true love isn't a person but a state of acceptance or equilibrium"
ÖBLF = GennyÖ∩WA∩ΦMed StudentΦÜHanny's grand frere܃ Karl Valentino Brassi ~ Mafiaƒ
ΘSami, Rose, Fatima, Raven and Mimi are my Twi-GirlsΘΩTetrarch of LexicalliaΩ
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

As in your true love is your life?
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
n0vaice
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: On a beach, half dipped in a beautiful blue sea, under the summer rain. Waiting for YOU to kiss me.

Post by n0vaice »

No I meant a state when you consider a person
to be your true love instead of finding true love.

it's kinda complicated. try viewing it this way.

What if anyone can be your true love it only takes time and patience.

"Seeing an imperfect person perfectly" Now I'm rambling. :?
ÖBLF = GennyÖ∩WA∩ΦMed StudentΦÜHanny's grand frere܃ Karl Valentino Brassi ~ Mafiaƒ
ΘSami, Rose, Fatima, Raven and Mimi are my Twi-GirlsΘΩTetrarch of LexicalliaΩ
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

n0vaice wrote:No I meant a state when you consider a person
to be your true love instead of finding true love.

it's kinda complicated. try viewing it this way.

What if anyone can be your true love it only takes time and patience.

"Seeing an imperfect person perfectly" Now I'm rambling. :?
You might be able to go somewhere with it being a state of mind, but I don't think it could apply to anyone. I think you can be of the mindset to love anyone no matter who they are or what they do(kinda like old Christian teachings), but as far as really being in love with someone, I don't see it as that easy. It would have to be a combination of person+willingness/state of mind.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
cherrydarling1177
Settled in Forks

Post by cherrydarling1177 »

Until I met my fiance, I thought that "true love" was just a myth. And then, out of NOWHERE...I got hit by the thunderbolt and met my soulmate. I knew he was going to be someone special and significant in my life within SECONDS after we first laid eyes on each other...our story has some similarities to Edward and Bella....

We broke up once after a year of dating a few years ago, ugh it HURT....( we split for lots of reasons, mainly we both had some growing up to do). So when I first read New Moon and the entire breakup scene, I couldn't stop crying because it reminded me so much of that loss I felt. I too, was numb like Bella...I cried myself to sleep for months. It was heartbreaking, but lo and behold, we got back together after a couple of years and both realized that we weren't complete without the other one in our lives.

I DO believe in true love, and I also believe that it takes work--my fiance and I work on our relationship every day. He makes me a better person, he is my best friend and so much more. LOL, I call him my own personal Edward...even though he's built like Emmett!

Ok, there's my two cents. :P